Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Forte Top End Cleaner

Views : 3174

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 13th, 2018, 19:23   #11
Dirty Rooster
Premier Member

What price do you get Carlube-ATF-U for Scooby?
Old Dec 13th, 2018, 19:27   #12
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Rooster View Post
What price do you get Carlube-ATF-U for Scooby?
Usually about £27-30 for 4.55L, why do you ask?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 21:08   #13
Dirty Rooster
Premier Member

The one litres looked expensive and I'm considering adding some for my next oil change 'cos you keep bangin' on about it! .
My engine's 27 years old y'see (most of it).
The Following User Says Thank You to Dirty Rooster For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 21:16   #14
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
The one litres looked expensive and I'm considering adding some for my next oil change 'cos you keep bangin' on about it! .
My engine's 27 years old y'see (most of it).
Is there a problem with oil leaks, dirty internals or do you just want to give it a clean/boost the oil seals integrity?

If it's the latter then 0.5L would do at your oil/filter change, if none of the above, then keep to your current regime unless there's a reason to think about a general clean/boost your seals integrity.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Dec 15th, 2018, 22:21   #15
Dirty Rooster
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
... dirty internals ...
How very dare you!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Dirty Rooster For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 15th, 2018, 22:28   #16
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
How very dare you!!

Old Dec 26th, 2019, 15:18   #17
derek vivian

Default top end treatment

Hi Dave. Does one put Carlube as you suggested into a hot or cold engine or does it matter? Grateful for you advice. Derek Vivian
derek vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to derek vivian For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 26th, 2019, 15:31   #18
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek vivian View Post
Hi Dave. Does one put Carlube as you suggested into a hot or cold engine or does it matter? Grateful for you advice. Derek Vivian
I've just replied to your visitor message Derek but anytime you like. Now i've got both my engines clean, i add 0.5L with the new oil when doing an oil/filter change.

Recently did an oil/filter change on both of mine and the oil that came out (despite being overdue on both) was still fairly clean. Expect the first 2 or 3 oil changes to be dirtier than usual as the dirt is cleaned away but after that it should remain cleaner.

It will also help reduce emissions as it helps to free and clean piston rings too.

Old Dec 26th, 2019, 19:05   #19
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
It's part-synthetic that has difficulty mixing with mineral or fully synthetic. To understand the difference is fairly simple, semi-synthetic is a blend of mineral and synthetic oils, generally in about a 50/50 mix with the various additives added in afterwards.

Part synthetic is mineral oil with synthetic additives designed to work with mineral oil.

It goes much deeper and more technical than that, that's the simple version though!

It sounds very pedantic but presumably there's a reason for it! Daresay one of the people with more "oily" brains than mine can explain why etc.

Either way, adding synthetic ATF works wonders for sticking hydraulic tappets/lifters, clean the engine internally and helps revive leaking seals. I've got some in my 760 at the moment because i used some oil that turned out (despite the labeling) to be recycled and it developed a minor leak from the rear crank oil seal. So far it seems to be easing so fingers crossed i caught it in time!
I also regularly run my Rover 827 with between 0.5-1.0L of synth ATF in with the oil, they have a reputation for being slightly tappety, not entirely undeserved in some cases but it keeps the hydraulic tappets clean and working as intended. I also had a Jeep Cherokee 4.0 a few years back with 3 very bad hydraulic tappets, sounded like 3 mini pile-drivers inside the engine block! As that took 6.8L of oil on the oil change, i put a litre of synth ATF in first then added a full 5L tub of oil plus some from another tub i used for topping up.
Less than 1000 miles later, it was smoother, more resonsive, more powerful and economical and above all, silent!
It’s not something I would try myself however I have friends who have done it and swear by it so perhaps if you have sticking tappers it’s worth a go?
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 26th, 2019, 19:33   #20
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
It’s not something I would try myself however I have friends who have done it and swear by it so perhaps if you have sticking tappers it’s worth a go?
I'm pretty confident you'd be surprised (and delighted) how much difference it makes.

I've used it for years in all my vehicles (whether they have hydraulic tappets or not) and swear by it. On another forum i'm on, i posted the emissions printout from my recent MoT and i quote the comments that the emissions are "stupidly low".

That's on a site where the majority of the cars are 1998-2002 so have to meet much tighter standards and have catalytic converters.

The emissions on my 32 year old, 226k mile 760 were being compared with those! The only thing in common is they're both V6s but the emissions have improved year on year since i've owned the 760, as they have with my other beast, also a V6 but more closely related to the cars on the other site i mentioned but older.