Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Anti-diesel hysteria - should I go for T8 instead?

Views : 6305

Replies : 88

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 6th, 2018, 00:03   #71
MaDProFF
Master Member

I cannot seem to post, hmm is there a character limit on posting? ahh to do with Fonts

Last edited by MaDProFF; Dec 6th, 2018 at 00:09.
MaDProFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2018, 00:09   #72
MaDProFF
Master Member

[FONT="Arial"]
It is all about experimentation as every journey is different, traffic etc. but my planning is to arrive home with just a fraction of battery left every time, with the combination of maximising battery use with the aid of hold and charge.

In General so far I generally:-

I have an individual mode I drive in all the time (unless Power Mode)

It is set for Pure, low suspension, max Regen (I think there is a setting for harder Regen cannot remember what it is called)

I drive in B all the time.
I use Charge when I know there is a long down hill section, (or even on a flat if I need battery for later).
I use Hold on the flat if I am on a longer journey and want to save battery.
I use Pure for uphill sections (No Engine up hill, if it is steeper and I want more power the engine will kick in.)

Hold is good if you are driving above 40 / 50 MPH as it does consume the battery far more at higher speeds.

Things I have noticed, the Battery will charge far quicker when using Charge and the battery is quite low in range left. It is pointless trying to charge a nearly full battery, and TBH I found it annoying for my driving style to even hold a battery when it is nearly fully charged. as B mode is pointless and the car just runs forever, it catches me out when approaching roundabouts etc. as I leave it too late to slow down and end up having to use the brakes.

I generally start all my journeys on Pure mode, and after a few miles will start the engine to warm it up for a few miles, so I do not feel guilty if I want to thrash the car when the needs be, I.E over taking pulling away faster.

If I am on the Motorway / Duel Carriage way, I generally use Hold all the time, unless a long down hill and then charge. (I am generally driving at the speed above the Battery will cut in) in traffic or slow moving traffic pure, unless long down hill then charge.

Charge in my view works really well when the battery is in the lower half, and as you are driving down hill the weight and momentum of the car far out weighs any fuel you use to keep the engine running with next to no load.

I can start at the top of a hill and the reading say at 45 MPG after a few miles going down I have gained a few miles in range and the MPG often is higher.

If others have any ideas would love to hear, as for me I find it really challenging, rewarding in MPG and Range in the T8 and fun.[/SIZE]
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 00:04   #73
Duri13

So I went for another XC90 T8 test drive yesterday.
First, I put it to PURE mode (just electricity) and managed to cruise through the whole Luxembourg City with consumption 1.9l/100km (148mpg). Nice quiet ride, even traffic jams were pleasent. Then I switched to HYBRID mode, when I hit the highway and after few kms some country roads. I think the battery ran out after about 50km with an overall consumption 6.6 (43mpg), which is nice but I was barely using any of the full potential of 400hp.
Then I did another 50km with a mix of highway and country roads (but mostly highway), already only on fuel, with a consumption 10.3 (27mpg). I was already driving less carefully, trying to have more fun.
Overall 100km, fuel 8.8 (32mpg).

I have mixed feelings. As much as I was impressed with the city part, when using just electricity, I found it quite tiring/annoying to keep constantly checking the amount of remaining km on battery. Also then in hybrid mode. When the battery was empty, I finally started to enjoy the driving itself, the road, the car...Anyway, I think I could enjoy driving in my city just on electricity, no noise, no smell. Now I have to decide if I want to be constantly controlling myself how I drive, so I do not waste batteries quickly, etc. With diesels, you can drive any way you want, and the consumption would not change much.
past: XC60 D4 FWD AT (MY 2015)
Duri13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 10:39   #74
airforced

I feel that the 'powers that be' have got much work to do to convince us that electric/hybrid is the way to go due to the severe limitations associated with electric technology as it is today. Vehicle manufacturers and infrastructure suppliers will also play a big part in this and whether they all will have the ability and will to do this remains an unanswered question as yet. I am unsure if that ability and will be able to meet the huge challenges involved in the timeframe that is being talked about. All this of course ignores the legitimate concerns prospective owners have about battery life and costs involved when batteries need to be replaced together with resale values when batteries are coming towards their end of life.

My gut feeling is that it would be a wiser choice to hang fire before shelling out on such a vehicle until such time as there is much more clarity in all of these matters.
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 11:50   #75
MaDProFF
Master Member

I really cannot understand posts like the last one? I just get the impression most people do not understand anything about batteries, charging, and most of all driving a hybrid. For the most part People who buy cars do so with like a 3 year plan, a small minority buy with plans to keep for longer like 5 years etc.

The whole point of a hybrid, is to remove the worry about charging, charging a hybrid cost very little, generally done over night.

In Driving good battery management gives you up to 50% on battery regeneration, to save the battery when you need it most to get the best out of the MPG when need be.

Battery replacement costs will come down substantially over the next 10 years, also the ability to replace better, longer lasting, longer range, more power batteries into existing cars to improve range.

Charging, charging stations will be filled with older battery packs that are charged over night, when there is less demand and far cheaper.

The Average driver of a car would only require a few charges a week, in electric cars when the ranges are getting up to the 200 + mile range of a car, again this would be done at home over night etc.

I agree at present regarding most hybrids it is really all down to your style of driving, but when hybrids start to get a 50 Mile range plus, there will not be a problem.

All this is not going to happen over night, but I really do not see a problem in the future at all.

The only fly in the ointment is the government, where they will generate the missing billions they gain on fuel duty.

Last edited by MaDProFF; Dec 14th, 2018 at 12:25.
MaDProFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 12:06   #76
MaDProFF
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duri13 View Post
So I went for another XC90 T8 test drive yesterday.
First, I put it to PURE mode (just electricity) and managed to cruise through the whole Luxembourg City with consumption 1.9l/100km (148mpg). Nice quiet ride, even traffic jams were pleasent. Then I switched to HYBRID mode, when I hit the highway and after few kms some country roads. I think the battery ran out after about 50km with an overall consumption 6.6 (43mpg), which is nice but I was barely using any of the full potential of 400hp.
Then I did another 50km with a mix of highway and country roads (but mostly highway), already only on fuel, with a consumption 10.3 (27mpg). I was already driving less carefully, trying to have more fun.
Overall 100km, fuel 8.8 (32mpg).

I have mixed feelings. As much as I was impressed with the city part, when using just electricity, I found it quite tiring/annoying to keep constantly checking the amount of remaining km on battery. Also then in hybrid mode. When the battery was empty, I finally started to enjoy the driving itself, the road, the car...Anyway, I think I could enjoy driving in my city just on electricity, no noise, no smell. Now I have to decide if I want to be constantly controlling myself how I drive, so I do not waste batteries quickly, etc. With diesels, you can drive any way you want, and the consumption would not change much.
There is a hold button and a charge button, using hold is actually quite economical, as you pull away using battery and then the engine cuts in, and when you come off the throttle the engine cuts out, even on the motorway. The engine cutting in and out is seamless, sometimes you do not even know it has cut out or is running.

I find things become a 2nd nature after a while, so the little things that you may worry you now, may not later on.

At the end of the day it is your choice, and only you know who you want to drive, and the routes you drive to warrant the expense, and is it worth the cost of spending more to gain so much in my view.

I Know mine is an XC60 T8, so I guess mpg will be better for me, but I am really impressed the returns I get for how I drive, for the most part way quicker then anyone else on the road, Every journey I make I over take, and generally no one overtakes me, especially on the motorways. It is just nice to have so much power at your hands, on top of such a smooth quiet relaxing ride when you need it to be.
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 12:13   #77
Haldex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDProFF View Post
The only fly in the ointment is the government, where they will generate the missions billions they gain on fuel duty.
It's a big piece of cake the governments won't give up, ofcourse.. We'll be paying the surcharge(s) on our electricity bill.. Along with an increased price- as the demand goes up.. We'll be converting our laundry machines to diesel..

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2019, 21:47   #78
Duri13

I could not justify the extra 7000EUR for getting T8, so I have signed the order for new almost fully loaded D5 today

XC90 D5 AWD Momentum
Pine Grey color with Moritz Amber upholstery
19" 10-spoke wheels
7 seats
Light Pack
Winter Pro Pack
Premium Audio Pack
Family Pack
Luxury Passenger Pack
Xenium Pack with 360 camera
Business Luxury Line
Tinted and Laminated windows
BLIS
Towbar

Now I have 3 weeks to decide if I rather do not go for Inscription or R-Design trim
(car will arrive in 2.5 months)
past: XC60 D4 FWD AT (MY 2015)
Duri13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Duri13 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 24th, 2019, 09:26   #79
jonnyu

You did a good choice
Old Jan 24th, 2019, 10:28   #80
nu11eaf
Premier Member

I don't think you will be disappoined with your choise.
If your options do not include the 4 zone climate I would add that to add a bit of luxury to the rear of the centre tunnel as it looks bland without it, but very nice with it @ £550 or the 7 zone comfort pack which includes the 4 zone climate @ £900. (UK pounds)
Your packs are not named the same as in my price list so you may have optioned them.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote