Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Coolant flush

Views : 4261

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 9th, 2018, 00:13   #21
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda529e699 View Post
Hello

I was told that the pink stuff was the best, as it lasts longer, would be interested to know what the difference in colours is, I put pink in my car and if its not compatible will need to get it out.

Thanks
Told that by the person selling it i guess?

If it is the OAT stuff, even if you've thoroughly drained and flushed all the ethylene glycol out, it's still not suitable for redblock engines. It was developed by the Japanese at the end of the last century for use in all-aluminium engines, because EG antifreeze can attack the aluminium.

However, the OAT stuff attacks cast iron a lot more than EG ever attacked aluminium as well as attacking the gaskets and seals, as Bob rightly pointed out.

If your pink stuff is OAT based, even if it says "Universal" antifreeze on it, the best advice i can give if you have a redblock, or any other engine older than about 2000 (gaskets in those engines are susceptible to decomposition from OAT) is run it over winter as it is and hope, come springtime, drain and flush the system, refilling with water, A couple of weeks to a month later, add some flushing agent and do another drain and flush, refill again with water. Repeat again a couple of weeks to a month later and then same again.

By this time, you should have removed all the pink stuff and be able to refill with Ethylene Glycol, sometimes referred to as "Silicate" antifreeze as it contains certain silicates and water.

Then, assuming you have a red block, don't ever go down the OAT route again.

The reason for such a thorough flushing routine is that as Bob mentioned earlier, mixing EG with OAT causes the coolant to form a gel which is impossible to shift. This gel is formed because the acid in the OAT (Organic Acid Technology) causes the silicone to precipitate out of the Etheylene Glycol and form a gel.

Finally, a word to the wise - don't go purely on what is recommended by a particular supplier or manufacturer. I've come across many that have recommended one product and found it would have done untold damage to my car.
Do your own research, make sure that the product you have in mind fits ALL the criteria you need it to fulfill and doesn't contain any additives that will damage your car.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2018, 12:13   #22
bob12
bob12

... and that's why for the reasons wot 'e says more eloquently ^^^^ than me, I shall continue using Comma XStream G48 in my engine, but I will let you know what Comma say .... should they reply to me Bob.
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2018, 13:15   #23
panda529e699

Default Coolant

Thanks for the input, I must have used all the coolant and thrown the container away, I don't remember it saying anything about being OAT, but probably as I cant be sure, I will change it to Bluecol.
panda529e699 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to panda529e699 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 10th, 2018, 08:25   #24
LPTJoe

I thoroughly flushed mine and filled with a 50/50 mix of Comma SuperColdmaster (£12 for 5l) and dionised water.

The mix is a lovely blue colour, it looks good in the expansion tank and 6 months on I have no issues.

LPTJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LPTJoe For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 10th, 2018, 08:29   #25
griston64
Premier Member

That is one clean expansion tank !!
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 10th, 2018, 13:56   #26
griston64
Premier Member

https://www.iaaf.co.uk/news-item/com...ze-and-coolant

This explains the change to G64
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 10th, 2018, 15:53   #27
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post

Well. Meldrew speaking. That's not much more thn sales hype. And the Volvo approval is no more thn a commercial linkage. People will buy non Volvo products so they are very likely taking a fee to recommend one brand. That commercial procedure is older than the hills.

In short. Why buy the Comma product, or Bluecol, or any other product, instead of buyng what Volvo themselves sell?

If there is a price saving, how much is that to be botheed taking time and effort for and does the non-Volvo product sometimes cost more?

Don't forget a recently reported experience with a non-Bosch temperature sender....

Hmmmm ???

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2018, 16:16   #28
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
Well. Meldrew speaking. That's not much more thn sales hype. And the Volvo approval is no more thn a commercial linkage. People will buy non Volvo products so they are very likely taking a fee to recommend one brand. That commercial procedure is older than the hills.

In short. Why buy the Comma product, or Bluecol, or any other product, instead of buyng what Volvo themselves sell?

If there is a price saving, how much is that to be botheed taking time and effort for and does the non-Volvo product sometimes cost more?

Don't forget a recently reported experience with a non-Bosch temperature sender....

Hmmmm ???

I am quite a distance from my nearest Volvo dealers whereas the motor factors who sell Comma are about 50 yards from my office

Also I'm pretty sure that like most other things Volvo don't produce their own coolant.

Don't get me wrong though as I do like to try and buy genuine parts but things like coolant and oil a good brand and same spec is usually fine
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 10th, 2018, 16:30   #29
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
I am quite a distance from my nearest Volvo dealers whereas the motor factors who sell Comma are about 50 yards from my office

Also I'm pretty sure that like most other things Volvo don't produce their own coolant.

Don't get me wrong though as I do like to try and buy genuine parts but things like coolant and oil a good brand and same spec is usually fine

Well. I don't see who produces the Volvo product as an issue. I do see a benefit in supporting Volvo dealer parts departments. Even in this anti-Volvo-parts Doubting Thomas forum it is known that sometimes Volvo dealers are the, perhaps the only, source of some parts. Use them, or lose them.

50 yards is an incentive.

Are you paying more than if you bought Volvo antifreeze delivered with a forum discount from say FRF Volvo dealers in Swansea?

Yes. Third party fluids are usually totally OK indeed. I have not in the past even thought of buying antifreeze from a car dealership. Nowadays I am conscious that we need to use the parts dealerships. And I receive excellent dealership parts service.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2018, 17:26   #30
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
Well. I don't see who produces the Volvo product as an issue. I do see a benefit in supporting Volvo dealer parts departments. Even in this anti-Volvo-parts Doubting Thomas forum it is known that sometimes Volvo dealers are the, perhaps the only, source of some parts. Use them, or lose them.

50 yards is an incentive.

Are you paying more than if you bought Volvo antifreeze delivered with a forum discount from say FRF Volvo dealers in Swansea?

Yes. Third party fluids are usually totally OK indeed. I have not in the past even thought of buying antifreeze from a car dealership. Nowadays I am conscious that we need to use the parts dealerships. And I receive excellent dealership parts service.
Comma is £16.95 for 5 litres. Volvo Genuine on the Bay is £19.50 for 4 litres
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-V...-/202456103425

So, not a lot in it really
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post: