Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

OK.....stupid question, what is the "dongle" thing (XC90

Views : 5490

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 9th, 2018, 14:28   #1
al dm

Default OK.....stupid question, what is the "dongle" thing (XC90

I got a lovely new XC90 delivered on Friday and am still getting it all set up correctly. But upon rummaging around in the glove box I found a "dongle" like thing.

It looks like an old USB stick, but isn't. It has no obvious connection capabilities, but it does have fittings on one end to put it on a key ring. It's black, says "Volvo" on one side and has a bunch of tiny numbers on the other side.

One of the numbers says "433.92MHz" and another says "Model HUF8432".

So given all of that I presume it is some kind of fob to allow you to open the car doors but not drive the car. Perhaps for if you want to ask a teenager to get something out of the car, but don't want to run the risk of them taking it for a joyride.

Is this what it actually is or does it have any other use?
al dm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2018, 14:33   #2
simonjedrake
Premier Member

That will be your 3rd Remote key that is waterproof. It has not buttons, so only operates when close to the car in the normal manner.

Check out this thread as well https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=289351
Old Dec 9th, 2018, 15:13   #3
Whiterdesign
Master Member

Keys should have come in a nice box with the 3rd key in the bottom, below one of the main keys, dealer should have pointed this out to you.
Old Dec 9th, 2018, 15:29   #4
al dm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterdesign View Post
Keys should have come in a nice box with the 3rd key in the bottom, below one of the main keys, dealer should have pointed this out to you.
:-) It's a leased car, so just got delivered with minimum handover. I did get the box - just not with the key in it. I pulled the foam out and gave it to the missus to put trinkets in. It's quite a nice box.

Anyway - back to the remote key....

This is actually very cool as I am doing everything I can to reduce clutter in my life and it's nice and small. That, plus my house key and I am good to go.

However - it has no buttons to lock/unlock the car, raise the tailgate or activate the panic function.

Panic and unlock I can do without. Obviously the presence of the key unlocks the car.

Can I set the car to auto lock when no key is present? i.e. just walk away and it will lock up? I am still working my way through all the settings and functions of the car, so forgive me if this is an obvious one.

Tailgate is no issue either as I can just do it manually or with my foot if the key is present.
Old Dec 9th, 2018, 15:46   #5
Whiterdesign
Master Member

You’ve obviously got keyless enter, so key is just the same as the others , but as you say no lock/unlock buttons or alarm. So just unlock by putting hand on behind door handle, car will unlock, lock by finger on door sensor. Boot will open with kick or hand on pressure switch. I use mine all the time as it’s small and more convenient than the larger ones.
Old Dec 9th, 2018, 15:54   #6
al dm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterdesign View Post
You’ve obviously got keyless enter, so key is just the same as the others , but as you say no lock/unlock buttons or alarm. So just unlock by putting hand on behind door handle, car will unlock, lock by finger on door sensor. Boot will open with kick or hand on pressure switch. I use mine all the time as it’s small and more convenient than the larger ones.
Yes - exactly that. It's nice and small. And no issues with unlocking the car. I've had cars with proximity fobs for the last 10 years or so.

I just want to know will it actually lock itself if I just walk away? I've been through all the settings and there's nothing there for "auto lock" - apart from auto locking when the car moves.

So I kind of presume that is the default. But can't confirm it yet....

By the way - this is my first Volvo and it's a lovely car. I am very pleasantly surprised with it. I was worried about the 4cyl 2L engine as I have driven 6 cyl 3L diesels for the last 10+ years, but it is surprisingly good!

And my giant dogs just love it. 3rd row folded down with rubber mat and Vetbed in the back and it's a veritable dog palace.
Old Dec 9th, 2018, 16:08   #7
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by al dm View Post
I just want to know will it actually lock itself if I just walk away? .
No, it won't. You have to use the lock 'button' on any door. If you forget you'll get a reminder (after ~15 mins) via the VoC app and the option to lock it remotely.

Last edited by Lexman8; Dec 9th, 2018 at 16:11.
Lexman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2018, 16:19   #8
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Make sure you do not leave it or another key fob in your car, While it was in your glovebox your car was at risk of being unlocked by anyone holding the door handle and driven away. As mentioned above the car will not lock by it self you must touch the sensor on any one of the door handles or the lock button on the bottom inside edge of the tailgate.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2018, 16:22   #9
al dm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
No, it won't. You have to use the lock 'button' on any door. If you forget you'll get a reminder (after ~15 mins) via the VoC app and the option to lock it remotely.
Super. Thanks for that.

Just went out and tried it. To be honest, I didn't realise that those little dimples in the door handles were "lock" buttons. But they are, so now I am educated.

Thanks once again. Looks like this little sports key is going to be my main key from now on. Very glad that I found it!!
Old Dec 9th, 2018, 16:25   #10
al dm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
Make sure you do not leave it or another key fob in your car, While it was in your glovebox your car was at risk of being unlocked by anyone holding the door handle and driven away. As mentioned above the car will not lock by it self you must touch the sensor on any one of the door handles or the lock button on the bottom inside edge of the tailgate.

Got it - thanks! It was lucky I found it in the glove box today. It could have been in there for months as nobody mentioned it was there or what it was.

I just read though, that if you use the main fobs to lock/unlock the car and the sports key is in the car, it will be deactivated but the main fob.