Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Multiple Barrel Roll Crash - No Air Bags!

Views : 9118

Replies : 99

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 5th, 2009, 02:30   #1
MonkeyMatt

Default Multiple Barrel Roll Crash - No Air Bags!

As a true testament to Volvo safety I was involved in an accident on Thursday that resulted in my V70 leaving the road and doing 3 or 4 barrel rolls down a field. I have attached some pictures. I walked away with only a broken finger so no complaints.

However, none of the air bags were deployed, which I would have expected at least the curtain 'bags to have been deployed. Was this a fault or do they not deploy for some reason in this situation?

Another point to mention is the accident occurred in the dark, so I found myself hanging up side down in a dark field, but all the interior lights came on in the vehicle. IF this is a safety design I applaud Volvo. This allowed me to search around the car to find my glasses (which came off my face during the accident) and mobile phone before then finding a way to exit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Volvo1.jpg (190.4 KB, 448 views)
File Type: jpg Volvo2.jpg (153.8 KB, 426 views)
File Type: jpg Volvo7.jpg (170.2 KB, 445 views)
File Type: jpg Volvo3.jpg (188.8 KB, 422 views)
MonkeyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2009, 03:12   #2
Black knight

Bees knees! You're lucky to come out of it with such slight injurys. I'd take it easy for a few days, injurys often are not apparent immidiately.
Black knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2009, 07:07   #3
dave.robbo
T5 Owner..

Flippin eck!! I'd say you got off very lightly there.. Shows how safe the Volvo is, really. Glad you're ok..

Now, a P1 V70 SE auto, bi-fuel, but the gas tank's been removed. Why??
dave.robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2009, 08:53   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

glad you were "ok"

the air bags curtains , seatbelt pre tensioners etc only deploy if they are needed, as you were "ok" its obvious they were not needed ..
for example:
you have this roll and the curtain bags go off as you wish ... BUT what happens if you are there upside down and get hit in the side or head on at the front by another car or truck ? you dont have the curtains or air bags there anymore .. Volvo are and always have been world leaders in safety and do know what they are doing ...

the doors unlock too when you have a crash like this and IF you had volvo ON-Call it would phone the emergency services for you with your location ... and they could read out all the data from your car to see what the situation was . they could even tell you were upside down ... and if the engine was running or if the electrics were out may suspect a fire . ( ON-Call has its own back up battery ) all this is due to years of experience with volvo/s accident investigation department in Sweden ..
I hope you will be getting another 2000-2007 V70 soon !
Old Dec 5th, 2009, 08:57   #5
mds

Default Lucky

A real "Brown Trouser" moment.
I think you used up a goodly portion of your 9 lives, take it easy for a few days mate.
mds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2009, 08:58   #6
Hinckley

Wow! That's a bad one - I find it re-assuring to see the Volvo safety cell remained in shape, glad you're ok though - I too would have expected at least one air bag to have deployed the side curtain for sure.
Last 2009 Merc CLS
Now 2004 S80 2.5T SE + Freelander! (BOGOF!)
Hinckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2009, 09:23   #7
trojan
VOC Member

Sure makes me glad I got a Volvo. Glad you're ok(apart from your finger) and good to see a Volvo doing its job of protecting you.
Any info on what happened?

VOC 22810
trojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2009, 10:06   #8
John_C
Allons-y!

Ouch.... as others have said glad to hear you are OK. Do take it easy for a while as the physical and psychological effects definitely take a few days to fully make themselves felt.

Looking at the damage on the car there is no significant deformation on any of the panels except the roof, so most likely none of the impacts were significantly violent enough to trigger an airbag.

From an energy absorption point of view a barrel roll on a field tends to be one of the most gentle ways to stop - as long as you aren't thrown around the cabin hitting your head etc it's much safer than a single big impact which stops the car instantly.

Cheers,
John
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2009, 10:33   #9
Radarman

With an accident like that, one you can walk away from, it shows the design gurus at Volvo know their stuff. Glad you are ok.

ps

Do you think it will polish out? :-)
Radarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2009, 10:44   #10
boggymarsh
XC70 2008 D5 SE

I think you are a very lucky man to have got away with the injuries you have , and yes being in a Volvo is probably a blessing, but dare I ask how you came to be in the situation where you have have left the road and rolled the vehicle three or four times? The photos you have put up don't show everything (especially the road layout before the point of leaving the road) and your account doesn't give much away but having attended my fair share of RTCs in a professional capacity I would be fairly close to giving an answer! Accidents don't just happen, in fact you could argue that there is no such thing as an accident but purely driver error or spontanious mechanical fault (which these days is very rare indeed).

Some of you may think that my comments are harsh, well yes they are and I make no apology for that.... atleast on this occassion a police officer wasn't having to go to the family of this driver to tell the bad news! Rather than praising the safety virtues of the Volvo maybe we ought to be reflecting on the manner in which we drive these lumps of steel in an attempt to prevent this type of photo having to be taken?
boggymarsh is offline   Reply With Quote