Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

£100 fine strange cops

Views : 7841

Replies : 91

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 9th, 2014, 20:00   #91
tommyweaves
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_56 View Post
I also had an encounter with traffic police, age 21.

Travelling down the A1(M), still not sure what really happened but I was as I passed a junction I moved out into the centre lane to allow another car to join but for some reason he drifted right across into the centre lane. Clearly I was driving too fast however as, when I swerved to avoid him, I lost control. Fishtailed for a while, then spun into the crash barrier, then pirouetted a few times more before coming to rest, leaping from the the car and running for dear life to the hard shoulder

By the time police arrived, several more cars had crashed into the wreckage. Upshot was mob-handed attendance by five motorway police cars as they had to close the motorway, plus a fire engine and an ambulance, though thankfully nobody was hurt.

I expected the police to tear me to ribbons, but not a bit of it. I was given the option of making a statement - they told it was not compulsory at the scene, but it was suggested that doing so would be seen as helpful, so I agreed. First thing he noticed, from seeing my driving licence, was it was the day before my birthday, he expressed sympathies. He then guided me through the statement in a way that, with hindsight, may have avoided me 'dropping myself in it'.

They drove me back to next town in their SD1, we chatted in a friendly way about the toys such as Vascar. He warned me a report would have to be submitted for possible prosecution but pleased to say no charges ever followed.
Thanks for that, I guess in your scenario it was going to be too difficult for them to prove blame in any direction so didn't bother; probably a good decision.
I'm sure as a result of the way the policeman dealt with it ("policeman" sounds so old-fashioned!) you retained more respect for the "force".

(Those SD1s were dream cars in my youth!)
tommyweaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2014, 20:24   #92
tonyv70d5

Smile Seat Belt saved me.

I was travelling a "A" road in a 30mph urban area in my wife's Citroen CV2.
I was travelling at about that speed.
I do not know what happened either before or afterwards but I was taken to hospital after a Ford Cortina had slammed into the rear of my car. It took two recovery trucks to pull the vehicles apart.
It is estimated by police that the speed of the other vehicle was in excess of seventy miles per hour when it collided with my car.
I was saved because I was strapped into my seat and in no way was there a risk of me being ejected from the vehicle into the path of other vehicles. Also the spare wheel lying flat in the boot acted as a pneumatic damper.
I suffered concussion, loss of memory, severe whiplash, torn muscles, crushed legs, injured hand but nothing broken.
I survived. There is now a speed camera at the location.
No seat belt would have most certainly meant "Dead Duck".
I have been in aircraft on test but never tested a seat belt before. When I did it worked and saved me.
To anyone who moans about wearing a seat belt in a car or an aircraft I say "Belt Up"
tonyv70d5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tonyv70d5 For This Useful Post: