Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My 66 P1800 wont start

Views : 3826

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 4th, 2014, 09:42   #31
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcturus View Post
So when the field collapses after the points open the energy dissipates itself through the condenser to earth,ie spark plug? I would love to see a graphic of this with the two circuits, one to the coil and return to battery, and two, new circuit to earth as points open. I can understand how things work mechanically but struggle with abstracts.
No, I'm afraid you've completely misunderstood it!

There is the LT (12V) circuit - that's the little wires that go from the coil to the distributor - AND the HT (big, BIG voltage) - those are the HT lead from the coil to the cap, the cap, the rotor arm, the 4 x HT leads and the 4 x spark plugs.

When the points are closed, the current goes through along the LT circuit to the distributor, to earth through the points. So no current goes through the coil and no current in the HT circuit.

When the points open, the current no longer goes along the LT circuit. Now it goes through the coil where it converts into a big, BIG voltage (big enough to make the current jump across the spark plug gap), the current goes down the HT lead to the cap, is directed by the rotor arm to 1 of the 4 HT leads then the current JUMPS the spark gap and earths through the engine block.

Current always goes to the easiest route to earth, so when the points are closed, the easiest route to earth is via the distributor. When the points are open, the easiest route to earth is via the coil and jump across the spark plug gap.

The condenser is like a damper, that's all. It stops sparking in the LT circuit.
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swedishandgerman For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 4th, 2014, 10:05   #32
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

Another of my scatter-brains drawings. I hope this explains it:

1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
The Following User Says Thank You to swedishandgerman For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 4th, 2014, 13:40   #33
arcturus
arcturus

Thanks. Now that I can visualize it it becomes quite clear and simple to understand.
Old Jun 4th, 2014, 18:16   #34
CLIVERALLY
Master Member

Its fixed !!! -- it was --- the coil

Now fixed with a powerspark coil

What an epic -- it was an open circuit -- I never want to go thro that again !!!

Has anyone tried the powerspark eleccy ignition and does it suit the later 1966 rev counter?

A massive thanks to every one, I cannot possibly mention you all !!-- the diagram of the points is now A3 size on my garage wall

Iam going of a beer or 10 !!! and if any of you are attending any classic car event at Wetherby I will buy you an ale for your troubles!!!

Last edited by CLIVERALLY; Jun 4th, 2014 at 18:18.
CLIVERALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CLIVERALLY For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 4th, 2014, 21:38   #35
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

That is very, very rare and I'm glad you've sorted it. I have never come across a Volvo coil before that has gone beyond retirement

I hadn't heard of Powerspark before and I looked at their website but can't see a kit for a 2 piece points distributor, only the 1 piece points kit
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
Old Jun 5th, 2014, 15:21   #36
CLIVERALLY
Master Member

I contacted him and he says he does all of them ?

worse now as my windscreen cracked !!!! not having much luck
CLIVERALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2017, 11:18   #37
Icandothis

Default Not Fireing

Hello, So brand new to this Volvo obsession, and having same issue, I took battery off to either maintain or replace, before I did car fired right up, now I have put it back it is not firing, and I am not sure if I have missed a wire from the battery when I reconnected it, yes, I am really new at this an need a lot of very basic direction, can anyone assist please,
Lily is a 1972 P 1800
Thanks
Icandothis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2017, 13:19   #38
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

ICDT;

Welcome to this forum!

This is an old thread which you have resurrected...and it was for a carberated car...it has good info which you should study and become familiar with, but you might want to start a new thread for your car which is an injected model where the injection is electronic and quite dependent on the electrical and injection systems...also give particulars like when was last time car ran normally...if fresh gas, any changes from stock, etc. ...then we can better help...

Cheers from Connecticut!
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 8th, 2017, 18:55   #39
Icandothis

Default Opps

Yikes as I said a total newbie to this despite having the car a while, in fact in Mass for 5 years, lol, ok, so also no very technoweenie on forums and use of ect.
I know I am going to need a lot of assistance,
So answe your question Lilly is a 1972 P1800, yes with injectors, she was running about a year ago, yes she has clean fresh fuel, yes Batt checked and all good, yes she turns over without any issue, yes 95% of the lights work currently, except I think headlights, but she is not Fireing, she did till I took batt off, now I think I am missing a wire, that should attaché to batt that initiates electronic s for sparks, yes not sure if using right terminology, but I think you get jist,
So currently waiting for a workshop manual and some diagrams, in meantime trying to work out what wires should be attached the the batt, and where they go to, no I don't mean the positive and negative main leads, anyway if that makes an sense, and you have any idea's please let me know, I am seriously working on the 'KISS' method of understanding it, and it was fine before Batt came off so ........
Oh and thanks so much for responding
Icandothis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Icandothis For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 8th, 2017, 19:12   #40
JC T ONE

Hi Icandothis,

there are no separate wire on the battery for anything (unless hacked up/messed around with) -
it should look like this =

The electronic bit in the destributer is only for the injection, the ignition is std setup with points (unless modified ?)

Are you sure its the ignition ? have you tried spaying some start gas or brake cleaner into the manifold & see if she fires up ?

If she dont then I would clean the points & all connections on coil & distributer, and make sure the coil has 12 volts (also when engine is turned over) good luck.

Jens Christian
JC T ONE is offline   Reply With Quote