Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sat nav install

Views : 2325

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 19th, 2017, 19:10   #1
colinmonkhouse

Default Sat nav install

Hi guys,

Want to have sat nav in my car but dont know how to go about getting parts et. I have 5" screen don't even have dab any ideas welcome?

Thanks colin

2011 volvo xc60 d5 215
colinmonkhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2017, 19:54   #2
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinmonkhouse View Post
Hi guys,

Want to have sat nav in my car but dont know how to go about getting parts et. I have 5" screen don't even have dab any ideas welcome?

Thanks colin

2011 volvo xc60 d5 215
I can't answer your question, but when you get to review the prices, you might just go for a top-of-the range Garmin or TomTom. Some folk even prefer their Smartphones.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2017, 00:02   #3
molsal

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelDay View Post
I can't answer your question, but when you get to review the prices, you might just go for a top-of-the range Garmin or TomTom. Some folk even prefer their Smartphones.
Good advice, I have sensus nav ,but much prefer the TomTom app on my phone, I preload all the European maps and have their unmatched traffic and speed cams for £14.99 per year ,it's way more accurate then my sensus. As for Garmin, we own a fairly new unit with traffic etc which my wife uses for her work. And to be honest it is nearly as poor as the sensus , poor routing in rural areas which is where my wife opperates and the traffic and eta are useless.
Old Sep 20th, 2017, 08:40   #4
NigelDay
Premier Member

The good news is ... (roll on MY19) ...
http://corporate.tomtom.com/released...leaseid=974683
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
The Following User Says Thank You to NigelDay For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 20th, 2017, 10:01   #5
andrewpain

isn't there some new rule proposed about using phone-based satnav? basically making it illegal to adjust or change settings when in motion? So my wife said the other day when I went to clip my phone to the dash in her old 9-5.....
Old Sep 20th, 2017, 12:14   #6
NigelDay
Premier Member

It's a fine line between a touchscreen (built-in) sat nav and touchscreen (in a phone holder) smartphone.
Old Sep 20th, 2017, 12:53   #7
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewpain View Post
isn't there some new rule proposed about using phone-based satnav? basically making it illegal to adjust or change settings when in motion? So my wife said the other day when I went to clip my phone to the dash in her old 9-5.....
It's the law now - I believe you cannot (legally) operate a mobile phone by touching it whether it's in your hand or in a holder. If it has voice controls then you are fine.
2001 V70 D5 - sold
2000 V70 Classic 2.4 - sold

Last edited by Simon Jones; Sep 20th, 2017 at 12:56.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2017, 16:36   #8
andrewpain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Jones View Post
It's the law now - I believe you cannot (legally) operate a mobile phone by touching it whether it's in your hand or in a holder. If it has voice controls then you are fine.
that's what most of the articles I've read seem to say. Can't touch the screen on a phone when driving, although it seems like you CAN if it's a fitted touchscreen in the car.
And with so many cars migrating basic functionality to a touchscreen it's just as well, otherwise you could get points just for turning up the temperature!
bloody stupid lawmakers. all probably riding around in the back seat of a Ministry car anyway.....
Old Sep 23rd, 2017, 18:45   #9
colinmonkhouse

Thanks everyone for the reply will probably just stick to using Google maps.
colinmonkhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2017, 08:09   #10
AndyJudge
Premier Member

I just use google maps on my phone & the directions get streamed via the car speakers using Bluetooth.

Works perfectly for me.

I would add I don't bother touching the phone ever in the car, when I get in the phone gets chucked into the centre console & it connects to the car using Bluetooth.

Being shut away removes all temptations to touch it.
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote