Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Are XC60 owners happy?

Views : 136020

Replies : 495

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Are you happy with your XC60?
Overall happy, no significant issues 441 64.66%
Overall happy, but minor issues 188 27.57%
Unhappy, significant issues 35 5.13%
Very unhappy, never again 18 2.64%
Voters: 682. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 14th, 2017, 11:18   #411
Maverick440

You bet, I love my XC60. Build quality is superb and the interior trim is great.
I've been lucky enough in my career with Bentley Motors to of driven some truly great cars and my XC60 is ranked up there.
In fact it was my retirement present to myself as its the closest thing In my price bracket to the Bentley.
Old Aug 31st, 2017, 22:04   #412
RichardXC60

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvoeu11 View Post
just changed over from a xc70 2011 to a xc60 r design premium d5 nice car but the seats are good but not like the xc70 not sure if i like them at present but only had the xc60 10 days so need to give it a bit longer ,any one had the same impression ? when i brought the car just fell for it but are the base of seat shorter or am i just getting fussy still not sure if i like them ??intrested in your thoughts
My electrically adjustable R-Design Lux seats are second to none in my experience, thought the cloth ones in my 1999 Omega couldn't be bettered but these do.

Been out to eastern Poland three times now in a day so far in it that's a journey of 1150 miles door to door, get out the other end close to midnight after about sixteen hours (Saturday or Sunday!) without a twinge.

Thanks to the seats and high speed stability (mine's a front wheel drive model) this is a long distance cruiser that would take some beating.

I have to agree with those saying that it's a beast to park, after 18 months I still can't judge where the front nearside wing is, which makes forward facing parallel parking a shunting nightmare, reverse parking is a sinch by comparison.
Old Sep 4th, 2017, 10:28   #413
Smiffy555

I always buy 2nd hand, with a budget of around £25k.......I simply cannot think of an alternative car to the XC60. I'm on my 2nd one now and simply love it...........VW Touareg and Audi Allroad are on my shortlist at the moment
Old Sep 4th, 2017, 12:26   #414
AndyJudge
Premier Member

Still loving mine after 7 months of ownership

Fantastically comfortable cruiser for long trips & plenty of grunt when you need it.
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2017, 23:28   #415
molsal

I am enjoying my first Vovlo purchase after 13months all is good. Just touring the highlands this week, I topped the tank today , back to full from full after 567 miles it only took 51.87 ltrs, so very economical. This included 160 miles of motorway at 70mph onour way up from the dales, the rest is Scottish highland roads , many single track . My only gripes are the parking brake placement and non automatic application when the engine is shut down, also the pretty feeble satnav, it's very weak up here with many missing village names ( ie the satnav willl not accept them) and some very poor routing.I have resorted to a free app on my phone which is far superior.
Old Sep 6th, 2017, 18:15   #416
RichardXC60

[QUOTE=molsal;2315182]I am enjoying my first Vovlo purchase after 13months all is good. Just touring the highlands this week, I topped the tank today , back to full from full after 567 miles it only took 51.87 ltrs, so very economical. This included 160 miles of motorway at 70mph onour way up from the dales, the rest is Scottish highland roads , many single track . My only gripes are the parking brake placement and non automatic application when the engine is shut down, also the pretty feeble satnav, it's very weak up here with many missing village names ( ie the satnav willl not accept them) and some very poor routing.I have resorted to a free app on my phone which is far superior.[/QUOTE

You have probably already downloaded it, but the latest map updates are a vast improvement on those of last year. Mine used to work far better in continental Europe than here - even tiny Polish villages being "on the Map". The latest one improved uk mapping is a big improvement.
Old Sep 6th, 2017, 23:16   #417
molsal

Thank's Richard, you are correct I do have the latest maps installed.
Old Sep 23rd, 2017, 19:05   #418
GJB
Premier Member

Have enjoyed owning my last 2 XC60's but now time to move on and have ordered V90 Cross-country and just hope it is as good an experience .
MY10 XC90 D5 R design Red MY04 XC90 D5 SE RED
95 940 2 ltr D Silver Auto /84 740 2ltr D Red
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2018, 18:35   #419
Fellwalker

After 2 years 3 months, I still find the car wonderful and annoying. Smooth, quiet, comfortable (mostly).

I'm finding on longer journeys that the seat only nearly goes back far enough for me to sit in comfort. I could do with another couple of inches. Damned long legs - who'd have 'em? That there is no footrest for my right foot is still bewildering, especially with adaptive cruise control.

The handbrake STILL catches me out - lean forwards and push to engage is still not intuitive. Yet in my wife's Polo, I now find I am leaning forward only to find there is no lever and I have to relax and pull the handbrake on properly using the other hand. Disengaging automatically as I pull away is still good (but I first came across that 9 years before I got the Volvo, in a Passat - which had a little pull to engage lever in the central console as expected).

I still miss (from previous cars) having a sunglasses holder above the mirror, and more storage pockets than now in the XC60. That space behind the centre console still baffles me. I couldn't keep glasses there as they flew out too often. I keep an RSPB bird book there now, but have to recover it from the floor now and again.

The rear camera is becoming MORE of an irritation. When I need it most, it is clarted up with spray or mud from the road. Those lines to "aid" reversing cause me more problems than by ignoring them and using the side mirrors. The aerodynamics are badly designed to put all the rain and muck on the rear window.

Lack of a lock button on the boot is a significant irritant. I've got KESSY which is nearly marvellous, so my key is securely in a pocket, meaning I have to either sidle up the side of the car or get the key out whenever I put shopping, golf gear, or move anything in or out of the boot. It would have been so easy to have a button on the boot lid like on the doors. Thank goodness I realised early on that this was the case, and only left the boot unlocked for the first couple of months!

More and more I notice the thin lines in the heated front windscreen. I understand the latest XC60 has a laminated one that is invisible.

The satnav is frustrating because it is all of Europe, so when searching for a place, particularly a POI, it takes ages and has such a frustrating interface. Then you don't know how the POI will have been written, and HERE maps POIs are dreadful. I've lost count of how many I have corrected on their web site. But the latest maps are still September 2017, and didn't include some corrections I made before then. Updates take such a long time, downloading at a snail's pace - even worse if you follow the instructions. I tried last time to download to PC, then copy to USB, and that only took half as long.
On Friday the satnav told me to "go left at the square" when the road highlighted on the map was clearly straight ahead, second exit.

I still can't get over how much empty space there is under and around the boot floor, all split into unusable bits. Such a waste.

I wish I had ignored the salesman, who DISCOURAGED me from both front cameras and 4x4.
  • There are a couple of estate roads I regularly use where parked vehicles ruin the sight lines, and mean edging out and praying that there isn't an idiot driving along the main road.
  • Pulling away from our estate (steering right and having to accelerate to match traffic), and from traffic lights the front wheels do like to spin due to the low-down torque.

A recent issue is the side mirrors, which auto-fold when I park but don't always auto-unfold. Even worse, a couple of times they've auto-unfolded but pointing down and inwards so they need adjusting before they are of any use whatsoever.

This winter I have really missed having an indicator to be sure my dipped lights have turned on, and I have found myself turning them on anyway to be sure in mist and rain. The main beam (I got the adaptive one that auto-dips) is so strange. If it gets fooled by reflections or distant street lights, it reverts to dipped just when you want good light. As with so much, mostly it is great.

The pedestrian aware alarm goes off on left bends with cars parked just around a corner.
The BLIS goes off when there are no cars nearby.
The lane departure warning reacts to filled cracks in the road, and to old tarmacked-over lane markings. It is so bad I had to switch it off.
The adaptive cruise slows for cars going off on a slip road, even after they have left the main carriageway. Conversely, it hardly reacts to someone pushing in from another lane far too close for comfort. It doesn't recognise cars that have already halted in front.
Much of the smart technology feels almost like a beta version.

Within the last month, at low speeds on a sharp right - for example moving off from parking, or doing a three point turn - there is a strange juddering / slipping from the left wheel. It seems to be in good condition and there is no movement when I push on it or try to bounce the car. Another thread suggested a common fault is a broken coil spring, so I've posted there to see if they can explain how to check.

Fuel economy is disappointing. My consumption seems to be average compared to others on Spritmonitor.de where I keep the records, as it has better matching to the models available in the UK. The old fuel economy figures were a licence to lie (60 compared to real 37!) and the new test is not likely to be much closer to real world figures. I read an article in one of the motoring magazines at the weekend that suggested it was in general reporting only around 8% worse economy than the old one.

Can I find a better tall car that fits my golf clubs and trolley in the boot out of sight, with potential to put two sets in? Sadly not. The only possibility is the Honda CRV. Will I keep looking - absolutely.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fellwalker For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 17:07   #420
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellwalker View Post
Can I find a better tall car that fits my golf clubs and trolley in the boot out of sight, with potential to put two sets in? Sadly not. The only possibility is the Honda CRV. Will I keep looking - absolutely.
I'd agree with most of your comments. It's not perfect, but the competition all have various failings. I did try a CRV immediately before the XC60 test drive. It's a perfectly decent car, but the engine is less powerful. Looking at the 'new generation' cars, it's good to see the XC60 is rated highly against all the current competition.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote