Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Does anyone have ever disassembled the LPG distributor?

Views : 11447

Replies : 56

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 27th, 2016, 13:23   #1
volvotwofortyfive

Question Does anyone have ever disassembled the LPG distributor?

First af all, hi everybody. I'm new of this forum and I'm a partially satisfied owner of a 2003 V70 native Bi-Fuel.
Due to cooling water consumption, I already done (in Volvo official workshop....) 2 (two) head gasket and 1 (one) complete engine rebuilding, solving exclusively my bank account. At the end, I made by myself changing (with my mechanic) the whole engine, acquired directly in a swedish, kind and very fair car junkyard.
So, thanks to my fabulous experience with official Volvo assistance, I decided to do everything by myself or by my mechanic.

Now the topic.

My car random started to cut off the engine while driving in LPG mode, and above all WITHOUT switching automatically in petrol mode. Nice. It happens from two up to seven time a day.

The only two ways to reset the system are: stop the engine and wait for 10 minutes, watching other cars running; the second way is the "tightrope walker": once found a straight road, the "procedure" says to reach the 70 Km/h, switch off the engine, (pray), wait for 9 seconds, switch on only the ignition key and start engine with car inertia only. Now I'm a little bit tired of being a tightrope; till now I thought to be alone with this problem. "Fortunately" (....) I'm not and, thanks also to your witness, the guilty seems to be the LPG distributor.

Just to complete the story, I also noticed a strange behaviour; few minutes before cutting off LPG, the car seems to fly: fast, responsive, ready... seems even better than in petrol mode. But when it happens, I know that the engine will switch off in very few minutes.

So: does anyone opened the distributor and saw what's inside? How it works? It's only a mere equal distributor for all the 5 cylinders together or, in some way, the device gives gas in right phase for each cylinder?
It's possible to (try to) repair it?
Or should I throw the whole car?

Thanks in advance
volvotwofortyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2016, 11:47   #2
volvotwofortyfive

Is there anybody out there?
Old May 29th, 2016, 15:45   #3
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

It is basically an idle control valve that is adapted for the use in LPG. Cleaning them will often improve the running.

To me it sounds like another issue again you are having but I would consider giving the distributor a flush through clean to see if it does improve at all.
I would check and clean both of the solenoids
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2016, 07:23   #4
volvotwofortyfive

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
It is basically an idle control valve that is adapted for the use in LPG. Cleaning them will often improve the running.

To me it sounds like another issue again you are having but I would consider giving the distributor a flush through clean to see if it does improve at all.
I would check and clean both of the solenoids
Hello Classicswede and thanks for the answer; in order to have an incremental approach, I emptied the LPG tank and I used a specific cleaner for LPG circuits and something seems going better: the car runs fluid and the idle is perfect. However the cutting-off is still present, a very little bit less frequently (a coincidence?), but it's there...

You have suggested to check and clean boths solenoids: where are those?

Thank you in advance!
Old May 31st, 2016, 13:34   #5
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

One of the solenoids is on the tank, the other is in the engine bay near the vapouriser
Old Jun 1st, 2016, 22:00   #6
volvotwofortyfive

Quote:
One of the solenoids is on the tank, the other is in the engine bay near the vapouriser
Oh thank you; the tank is brand new so, reasonably, I should check the other one only. I'll keep you informed.
Thank you again.
Old Jun 20th, 2016, 14:29   #7
volvotwofortyfive

Quote:
Hello,
I apologize for disturbing but it's time for me to take screwdrivers & Co.!
You said to check the solenoids and one of these is "in the engine bay near the vapouriser"; could you give a look to the attached picture of my engine bay to confirm the "target"?
Many many thanks in advance

Old Jun 21st, 2016, 00:43   #8
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Thats the one. If it is swallen or has a split in the plastic it will need replacing
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 21st, 2016, 10:32   #9
volvotwofortyfive

OK, I'll check it, thanks!
Old Jun 26th, 2016, 00:08   #10
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Any sign of problems with that one?