Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

detachable tow bar

Views : 1522

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 2nd, 2017, 18:34   #1
mark p

Default detachable tow bar

hi all having just bought a xc60 (2010) with a detachable tow bar but the tow bar ball end does not quite fit properly, am i doing something wrong? when i push down hard it clicks over to the red and i turn the key to lock it, but if i pull straight it seems to be solid however if i pull to the side slightly or just off center it falls straight out. am i doing something wrong or is it the wrong fitting?
mark p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2017, 19:42   #2
dave morton

It seems to me that if it is showing a red symbol that is usually an indication that it has not engaged properly, typically a green symbol is an indication of it being secure, any car accessory shop or garage will be able to advise
dave morton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dave morton For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 3rd, 2017, 02:09   #3
pagan8c
Master Member

It should click to green. You have to push the knob in as far as you can and twist the knob anti clockwise as far as possible then insert the bar into the receiver and it should then click into place and the indicator return to green. Before trying to lock the bar give a good rocking and if it stays solidly in place then you can lock it.It maybe that the retaining pin isn't locating into the hole in the receiver. That is how mine worked when I had one on my XC70.
pagan8c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2017, 02:29   #4
Premier Member

The indicator must go to green when the bar is correctly engaged: if it stays red, there is a problem.
It could be something as simple as a bit of grit or rust in the socket, so try to clean it out with a bottle brush or similar; likewise make sure the end of the bar is clean and the locking plunger is not stuck. I sometimes give my socket a blast of compressed air and also use a dry film lubricant on both the bar and socket. Wet lubricants like WD or oil attract the dirt.
The lock has no bearing on whether the bar is secure or not, all it does is prevent the release knob being turned; the locking mechanism for the bar is entirely separate.
When you remove the bar, you turn the release knob until it clicks, the locking plunger will be withdrawn and the indicator will be red; it should stay in that position until you come to re-fit it, when pushing the bar into the socket and giving a sharp push down should result in a sharp click and the indicator turning green.
There has been the odd occasion with mine where I have removed the tow bar carelessly and the release knob has not clicked fully into the release position, which has meant that the locking plunger has not locked back into the end of the bar and this makes refitting the tow bar impossible until the knob is turned and the plunger locked back properly.
60041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2017, 23:35   #5
Rick Barton
Master Member

1. Remove the protective cover by first pressing the catch and then pulling the cover straight back.
2. Ensure that the mechanism is in the unlocked position by turning the key clockwise.
3. The indicator window must show red.
4. Insert the towbar until you hear a click.
5. The indicator window must show green.
6. Turn the key anticlockwise to locked position. Remove the key from the lock.
7. Check that the towbar is secure by pulling it up, down and back.
WARNING If the towbar is not fitted correctly then it must be detached and reattached in accordance with the previous instructions.
WARNING Be sure to attach the trailer's safety cable to the correct place.
IMPORTANT Only grease in the ball for the towing hitch, the remainder of the towbar should be clean and dry.

All the above is quoted from the XC70/V70 owners manual - model year 2012.

I find a sharp inward and downward movement is needed on the towbar and then it goes into place with a satisfying click and you will see the green indicator. If you don't see the green indicator you haven't done it right!
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 08:20   #6
green van man
Premier Member

I give mine a spray of duck oil every use. Duck oil dries leaving a protective film on the parts for up to a year after application.
Moving parts need lubrication I don't care what Volvo say, it's the no need to change gearbox oil thing, the receiver is also in a vulnerable position hanging under the back of the car in all the spray and muck so cleaning and lubricating every use is a must in my view.
When you've seen them rusted solid as I have it becomes a no brainier if you want a detachable tow bar.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2017, 17:02   #7
stevem2k

I've just had this with mine. The tongue would only protrude to the first position ( about halfway out ) and the bar would then 'rattle' ( though I couldn't pull it up/out in any way ) , the knob stayed in the red.

I stood it vertically on end and gave it a good soaking with plusgas ( not wd40.. that's just a water displacer ) overnight. I could then push it in and out with a wide screwdriver to free the mechanism.

A run over the reciever slot on the car with a file to remove any grot and it pushed in and double clicked , the knob moved to the 4 slot position.

When properly inserted it doesn't move in any way.

Steve
stevem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stevem2k For This Useful Post: