Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wildly inaccurate MPG

Views : 1749

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 8th, 2017, 08:23   #1
LoudPedal

Default Wildly inaccurate MPG

Hi all, my first post so apologies if it's in the wrong section!

I've been surprised at the rate my 03 V70 D5 AWD geartronic has been using fuel. I measured economy between the last 3 fill ups (reset trip and mpg) and found that the trip computer was telling me 46.5mpg but the calculated economy from the pumps and odometer was just 37! This was consistent between fill ups.

Does anyone have any suggestions what might cause the indicated mpg to be 25% higher than actual? There's no sign of Diesel on the driveway so I presume it's all making its way into the engine somehow.

I'm thinking that the indicated figure should be achievable with the roads I drive and my driving style. I do my "spirited" driving in my other car (a highly tuned N/A mx5) so driving this one is all about fuel economy. My last practical car (02 Toyota Avensis 2.0D) managed around 63mpg actual measured economy so I'm pretty shocked how thirsty this one is!

Has anyone else experienced similar?
LoudPedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2017, 15:57   #2
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

Pretty normal fuel consumption for an auto d5 of that era in my experience. The dim display is never that accurate.

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Executive, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2017, 23:07   #3
LoudPedal

Yeah, it's not too horrendous but it's 40-60mph cruising almost the whole way from home to work so I was hoping for a little better... My last car managed 15mpg higher than quoted on the same route which would put the trip computer mpg about right.

10% out I could deal with bit 25% out makes me feel like something isn't right...
Old Sep 9th, 2017, 09:22   #4
dme123
Master Member

I think a lot of the internet hype about the astonishing frugality of the Euro 3 D5 engine comes from the utter lies the trip computer tells. On my 2004 V70 T5 it always over reported by 20% or more too.

Sensibly, a 1700KG car with an automatic gearbox and AWD system with what is not exactly a state of the art diesel engine cannot be expected to do much better than 38mpg.

For comparison, my C70 is about the same weight, has a newer revision of the engine, and is FWD and a manual and that averages 43mpg if I'm gentle. Lots of motorway driving.

I'd expect to do no better than you in our brand new manual XC60 D5.
2003 C70 T5 GT Manual
dme123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2017, 09:41   #5
LoudPedal

Good to know I'm not the only one who's noticed this! Sounds like perhaps this is normal behavior for these cars.
Old Sep 9th, 2017, 14:25   #6
Darlo 1
Lunatic.

55-60 mpg measured at the pump after a motorway cruise euro 3 d5 manual.
S60 D5 2004.
I vape therefore I am.
Darlo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2017, 16:54   #7
tt82
Forum Support Team

What fuel are you using?

I have a Euro IV 185BHP D5 auto and whilst mines not that badly out, it seems to be closer with Shell/V-Power then when I used Tesco Diesel for a bit.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2017, 19:29   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudPedal View Post
Yeah, it's not too horrendous but it's 40-60mph cruising almost the whole way from home to work so I was hoping for a little better... My last car managed 15mpg higher than quoted on the same route which would put the trip computer mpg about right.

10% out I could deal with bit 25% out makes me feel like something isn't right...
I would get the engine and instrument panel software updated first ... do you zero the average speed and fuel consumption before starting your calculations ? Are the tyre sizes as standard ?
Old Sep 9th, 2017, 21:18   #9
LoudPedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
What fuel are you using?

I have a Euro IV 185BHP D5 auto and whilst mines not that badly out, it seems to be closer with Shell/V-Power then when I used Tesco Diesel for a bit.
Interesting... How much difference do you get in (real) mpg between the two? I'm using Tesco at the moment but could be persuaded to try Shell if it was going to work out more economical overall.

It's funny that it would make a difference since the ECU will be doing its mpg calculations based on how long the injectors are open for rather than any sort of power measurement. The only way I can see the fuel brand making a difference to the accuracy is if the shell fuel was more viscous so less flow for the same injector time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
I would get the engine and instrument panel software updated first ... do you zero the average speed and fuel consumption before starting your calculations ? Are the tyre sizes as standard ?
How would you go about updating the engine and instrument panel software? Is it a "pay the dealer lots of money" kind of job?

Yes, I have been zeroing the average speed, mpg, fuel consumption and trip when doing the calculations so it should be a fair comparison. Tyre size is standard and I'd expect that to affect the odometer and mpg numbers equally.

Last edited by LoudPedal; Sep 9th, 2017 at 21:24.
Old Sep 9th, 2017, 21:59   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudPedal View Post
Interesting... How much difference do you get in (real) mpg between the two? I'm using Tesco at the moment but could be persuaded to try Shell if it was going to work out more economical overall.

It's funny that it would make a difference since the ECU will be doing its mpg calculations based on how long the injectors are open for rather than any sort of power measurement. The only way I can see the fuel brand making a difference to the accuracy is if the shell fuel was more viscous so less flow for the same injector time.

How would you go about updating the engine and instrument panel software? Is it a "pay the dealer lots of money" kind of job?

Yes, I have been zeroing the average speed, mpg, fuel consumption and trip when doing the calculations so it should be a fair comparison. Tyre size is standard and I'd expect that to affect the odometer and mpg numbers equally.
The Engine ECU and others would be updated at your dealer service free , when did the car last visit a dealer for a service ? The DIM may or may not be updated depending on the importance of the other updates needed at the time . I have not come across fuel computers so far out before , they are usually pretty close ....