Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

USB socket installed but not showing function on screen ?

Views : 1759

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 18th, 2017, 16:05   #1
V60RD

Question USB socket installed but not showing function on screen ?

Hello to everyone. New member looking forward to exchanging information across this forum. I have been reading the boards but cannot locate a solution to my problem. I have 2011 V60 R Design which has the AUX/USB connections but my screen is not showing USB option. It only shows AUX and CD. Have tried a USB flash stick with music on it and do know that the terminal is electrically wired as the stick light flashes but no USB selection option on screen. Any help would be great.

Many thanks
JO
V60RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2017, 10:37   #2
Bibsy

If it hadn't been for your comment about the light flashing, I'd have said that you are reporting exactly the symptom I had in my 2011 S60 when I first got it (used).

In my case it turned out to be that the socket in the car, at least at that time, is not a good design, and pushing a stick into it too firmly by someone at some point before my ownership had physically but undetectably broken it.

Mine was replaced under warranty, and since then I've used a short flylead in it, which now never gets unplugged. So it won't happen again.

Perhaps you have a dodgy connector too?

Alternatively, even after mine was repaired it was an endless fiddle to find exactly the right sort of stick with exactly the right sort of files in exactly the right format that had been produced on exactly the right sort of computer at exactly the right phase of the moon before it would actually show or play anything anyway.

So maybe you just need to try a few sticks - but be a bit careful about doing many pluggings in, I would suggest.
Bibsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2017, 15:21   #3
V60RD

Hi Bibsy, thanks for your reply. I have a cable interface only in the car, a twin one actually with the AUX (male) jack also. I do however have a static (female) AUX jack socket in the compartment. So no static USB interface. Before I try another stick can you or anyone else tell me if USB text appears on screen as a media selection option, BEFORE anything is plugged in to USB. As I said in initial post the USB option is not present on-screen once media button has been pressed. Only AUX/CD

Thanks
Old Feb 25th, 2017, 17:54   #4
V60RD

Hi Can anybody with a 2011 V60/S60 tell me if the on screen USB texed in media option is visible before connected device or does it only appear after connected?
Thanks
Old Feb 25th, 2017, 19:13   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V60RD View Post
Hi Can anybody with a 2011 V60/S60 tell me if the on screen USB texed in media option is visible before connected device or does it only appear after connected?
Thanks
yes should be there , Is your socket part of the car ie chrome lined socket in the rear of the centre console facing upwards ? Because there are many other non volvo units which it could be part of , do you have any non volvo audio equipment on the car?
Old Feb 25th, 2017, 20:18   #6
V60RD

Hi, thanks for your reply. My USB interface is not a fixed socket but on a cable running from the underneath of rear console and resting in it. I do have a AUX fixed socket housed within the rear console. I have no non Volvo audio equipment on the car that I know to.
Old Feb 25th, 2017, 20:36   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V60RD View Post
Hi, thanks for your reply. My USB interface is not a fixed socket but on a cable running from the underneath of rear console and resting in it. I do have a AUX fixed socket housed within the rear console. I have no non Volvo audio equipment on the car that I know to.
That is not standard , follow the lead and see where it goes ....
Old Feb 25th, 2017, 21:27   #8
Thrustyjust

Clan, on the subject of USB , I have issues with mine in the centre console , which isnt changing the tracks on the screen, even when a new track starts. Any ideas on this please ? We have changed the Ipod lead and is the same.
Thrustyjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2017, 21:36   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrustyjust View Post
Clan, on the subject of USB , I have issues with mine in the centre console , which isnt changing the tracks on the screen, even when a new track starts. Any ideas on this please ? We have changed the Ipod lead and is the same.
do the tracks play one after the other ? Do you get a list on the screen when you turn the Upper R/H menu knob ? when you select a song in the list and press that knob do they play ? I'm talking about MP3 files on a USB stick , I cant fathom Apple stuff ... more likely it needs upgrading or too old ...
Old Feb 25th, 2017, 21:56   #10
V60RD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
That is not standard , follow the lead and see where it goes ....
I will explore tomorrow and get back to you. So it definately wouldnt be Volvo's first generation USB interface then?

Tags
connection, infotainment, s60, usb, v60