Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General > 850/x70 S1 Articles

Notices

850/x70 S1 Articles How to's and step by step guides on a specific repair or modification to a Volvo 850/70 car.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How to check/repair courtesy/door lights problems

Views : 25155

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 12th, 2017, 10:29   #11
SteveSarre
Premier Member

Hi Transcendent,

Thanks, I have quite a few locks which need attention.
Did you fit new Marquardt switches?
Which bit(s) did you transfer from the donor lock?

Thanks
Steve
V70 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto 1998 Green, V70 2.5 10V Auto BiFuel 1999 Red (scrapped) V70 20v Auto 1999 Green (scrapped)
Old Jun 12th, 2017, 10:48   #12
Transcendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSarre View Post
Hi Transcendent,

Thanks, I have quite a few locks which need attention.
Did you fit new Marquardt switches?
Which bit(s) did you transfer from the donor lock?

Thanks
Steve
I didn't get new switches for now, but in the future I will try them out should any more door switch problems occur.

In my first picture I linked in my last post you can see the switches are not mounted with rubber over the terminals, just a bit of glue which is easily removed. The donor (like the original poster's pictures) is mounted with rubber which completely covers the terminals and is bonded to the plastic. This has to be carefully cut away.

The second picture shows the donor which is now missing the microswitch which detects when the door is locked, the switch for the door open/close was left intact.

I was in a bit of a rush to remove the lock microswitch and in combination with it the rubber which needed to be cleared out, the 3rd furthest terminal sits slightly underneath the white plastic. Unsoldering the 3rd leg while trying to pry the switch out (it's not glued, just keyed with those 2 short round legs you can see also on the top side of each switch).

The switch for the door open and close detection has very good access. And is thus easy to maneuver a knife and soldering iron to remove the old one.

I'm 95% sure those switches I linked on RS are the correct type (or close enough, some of the alternatives on various websites seem to use misleading stock images so be careful. There are some on ebay but they are very expensive and don't have free postage)

Hope this helps.
Old Dec 18th, 2017, 15:42   #13
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Chris

Have you sussed a way of getting round the photobucket nonsense ?

In the five months my gal was with an unnamed Indy she still came back with the job that I was hoping to do this summer not done !

They did have the audacity to offer to supply me a new battery though - declined on the basis of logic - which of course escaped them
Old Dec 18th, 2017, 17:28   #14
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

Location: A place in mendip-land famous for its cheese - and its gorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfella666 View Post
Chris

Have you sussed a way of getting round the photobucket nonsense ?
Hmmm... not noticed that until you pointed it out!

I think I might still have the originals hidden in the depths of my pc and will investigate tomorrow. And it they are there, I'll post them in direct. And, also, ask the mods if it is possible for them to make a note in the first post that the pictures are 'deeper down'.

C

Our children don't inherit the world from us. We are borrowing it from them.
Old Dec 18th, 2017, 17:48   #15
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Cheers Matey

Hoping to get onto this over Christmas- ha ha ! As well as suspension, roof rails, leaking sun roof, some bits on the lads Nissan etc etc etc
Old Dec 19th, 2017, 12:42   #16
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

Location: A place in mendip-land famous for its cheese - and its gorge

Well, after much rummaging around, I found the two photos in the depths of my hard drive!

Picture 1

Showing how that fiddly spring that went 'boing' and across the floor actually fitted... eventually! A right PITA working that out!

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/attac...1&d=1513683381

Picture 2

Showing where I put some padding it to make the microswitch work. It was easier doing that than some of the 'ideas' I'd seen in other forums on replacing/fixing the wee devil - and lasted for as long as I had the car after 0 which was 3-4 years (?).
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/attac...1&d=1513683405

Hope it helps!

C
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pict 01a.jpg (313.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Pict 02a.jpg (354.7 KB, 26 views)

Our children don't inherit the world from us. We are borrowing it from them.