Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

awd

Views : 506

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 15th, 2019, 11:31   #1
Anubisxc70
Master Member

Default awd

2004 XC70 D5 awd.

Hello. The other day on the snow and ice i have notice that my awd is not working.
I haven't see what is wrong or needs fixing. Did any one already converted an xc70 for fwd? If yes what to take..everything just leave the back bearings ? what bout in the front anything we have to remove?

I am just considering , like i said i dont even know what is wrong with it.

Many thanks
Anubisxc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2019, 12:00   #2
100K+
Premier Member

Biggest issue that you will face is insurance. I'll leave that point there.
But basically, you don't need to do anything. If its not AWD its FWD. Some remove the front/back propshaft, buts its not a great deal of weight ( having dinginged one and had it replaced) so I'd just leave it be. My v70 AWD R ran like this for almost 3 months while I tried to resolve why AWD did not work. - Eventually got referb DEM from Lucas. Been fine for a couple+ years now.

I found the issue is not so much doing the repair, but finding out WHAT to repair - VIDA/DICE sometimes leads you on a wide goose chase.

Cheers

Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 100K+ For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 15th, 2019, 14:24   #3
Anubisxc70
Master Member

Thanks.
That what i though. Better leave it.
I was thinking on weight related , even gearbox performance and if taking the transmission box for a more easy access to the turbo etc.

Thank You
Old Feb 15th, 2019, 17:57   #4
R-P
Master Member

I think some sensor on the Haldex unit is prone to wheather influences when the rubber/plastic cover is worn and dies sometimes. I think that is the most mentioned culprit.

Let me know if you manage to remove the turbo and what is needed for that on an AWD...
I have a power issue that I need to remove the turbo for and the only time I can test if my AWD is still working, is when there is snow (not a chance in [some hot place] to spin my wheels otherwise...)
But there was some snow a few weeks back and my AWD is still functioning!

R-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2019, 21:22   #5
Anubisxc70
Master Member

Thats the problem. I dont know what to remove to get the turbo out. I guess you need to take parts of transmission (i guess transfer case...correct me if im wrong) shafts ...and so on....i dont think you just can take them out this front part of awd cars is really a nightmare to get to the turbo
Old Feb 17th, 2019, 18:55   #6
jgjones095
Master Member

Get under it and check if the prop rotates by hand (when in gear in manual).

If it does rotate there will be an issue with the sleave between the gearbox and transfer box.

Of not it's probably the haldex. Either pump a sensor or dem unit.

The pump can be diagnosed by wiring 12v direct to it.

Has it ever had an oil change? If not my guess would be dirty fluid clogged the pump stopped it from working..

Checkout xemodex flowchart diagnostic

https://xemodex.com/us/knowledgebase/dem-flow-chart/

Dice showed a failed pump on my xc70 and from someone who has spend the last few weekends under the car sorting a service and replacement pump, then repeating the job for a leaking haldex flange oil seal, it's a relatively simple job with thr correct tools but a pita to access on axle stands, laying on your back.

2.4t V70XC Auto 2001 165k
D5 185 XC70 M66 2006 202k

Last edited by jgjones095; Feb 17th, 2019 at 18:58.
jgjones095 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jgjones095 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 17th, 2019, 21:57   #7
oragex
Premier Member

Basically on all 2001 up to around 2007 the AWD will stop working at a certain point. This is well documented - along with repair DIY and it's rather a job for someone used to wrenches. Things that go bad are the spline collar, the pump and filter, and perhaps the worse scenario - the DEM module. All but the DEM fail can still have the car drive in FWD as mentioned, DEM fail from corrosion is a more significant issue that will affect the car after about 12-15 years of age if it's being driven on roads with salt in winter time. The DEM is hardly swappable, costs more than the whole car, and can cause the engine not to start. Worth having a look at the unit as it's easily reachable, and maybe add some extra sealant over the rubber gasket where you can see corrosion starting to form. A few pics https://xemodex.com/us/product/diffe...6001749-10-20/
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 10:25   #8
Anubisxc70
Master Member

Change the oil of Engine , gearbox, angle gear and rear axel was my first job, when i got the car....didnt change on the Haldex dough!!! What oil besides the volvo one ca be used??
I never tried to rotate it in gear in manual mode. I know that it rotates if the car is not running and in P.
Vida doesn't detect any issues with the awd....

Last edited by Anubisxc70; Feb 18th, 2019 at 10:30.
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 12:56   #9
jgjones095
Master Member

Only use the haldex oil from Volvo.

If the prop rotates by hand when in P then it’s your collar sleeve between the gearbox and transfer box.
About a £100 part and a pita to change, prop off transfer box off driveshafts out etc.

My in gear in manual was referring to a manual gearbox. You have an auto so it should not rotate at all with the wheels on the ground.

2.4t V70XC Auto 2001 165k
D5 185 XC70 M66 2006 202k
jgjones095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 21:01   #10
DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX
Trader

Hi.
If you needed any help with insurance at all for this type of conversion then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.
DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX is offline   Reply With Quote