Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

distributer only working on 4 cylinders

Views : 1741

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 17th, 2014, 16:53   #11
reggit
Premier Member

Have you tried soaking it in STP fuel injector cleaner?

Disconnect gas pipe from vaporiser, pour about half a bottle of the cleaner into distributor via pipe and reconnect pipe.

Start car on petrol, when upto temperature and at idle switch it to gas. The engine will stall as the cleaner enters the distributer.

Leave it around 12 hours, probably best done overnight, then again run the car on petrol and when warm switch over to gas. It will splutter cough and misfire and likely stall a couple of times until the cleaner is purged from the gas system.

Some have had luck with this method, so I tried it on mine - but that turned out to have a knackered stepper so it didn't work.
Old Oct 17th, 2014, 19:03   #12
carpcrew

cheers will try that, i did read up on putting injector cleaner down pipe but its had mixed reactions etc, i did put a bit of brake cleaner down pipe and started car and switched to gas , sputtered but after that it ran without missfire for 5 mins then back to normal missfire, but will try injector cleaner overnight, cheers
carpcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2014, 09:13   #13
carpcrew

Smile

put injector cleaner down pipe overnight, yhis morning ran great on gas but still cutting out when car hits full temp, swapped over selonoids over has mine was cracked ( had spare which came with reducer i got second hand ), is there a way off checking selonoid if its got a fault , cheers
Old Oct 19th, 2014, 13:53   #14
reggit
Premier Member

You can continuity check the coil with a multimeter, but that won't tell you if it's going open circuit when hot. If you suspect it, replace it. A new cap isn't that much if I remember.
Old Oct 20th, 2014, 13:25   #15
carpcrew

Unhappy

hi replaced selonoid with new one by reducer but still cuts out when car up to temp, it swiches over fine after a short time then when warm cuts out, switch back to petrol manualy and takes a while to cranck to start on petrol again, let car cool down then same again, someone said there was a temp sensor on reducer but i cant find it ( no electrical connections ), starting to do my head in now, seems strange that it happens according to temp.....
Old Oct 20th, 2014, 14:38   #16
reggit
Premier Member

There isn't a temp sensor on the bi-fuel reducer. The hole for it is plugged. Prior to my old S60 bi-fuel I had a Vauxhall corsa dual fuel (don't laugh!) and that had the extra temp sensor.

The taking a while to fire up again is exactly what both the vauxhall and volvo did when starting on petrol.

You may get more advice on LPG forums if you haven't already looked on there. www.lpgforum.co.uk there are a lot of very knowledgeable people on there who may be able to assist.

I'll just ask if you are sure the stepper motor is good? This is a silimar problem my S60 had with an duff stepper. It will log this on vida if its the cause (mine did anyway)
Old Oct 20th, 2014, 15:29   #17
carpcrew

ok cheers, can i use vida software via my laptop and obd lead or is it stand alone hardware, thanks
Old Oct 21st, 2014, 10:04   #18
reggit
Premier Member

You need a DiCE unit as well as the vida software. Plenty on auction sites, but it may be worth asking on the main S60 section if there is anyone in your area that can read your car for you. There is also a map of people with fault readers and are willing to help others on one of the sticky threads.
Old Oct 22nd, 2014, 19:08   #19
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

I'm assuming the Necam kit? Whether this is your issue or not lift the stepper motor out ( 2 x 3mm Allen) and every 5-6000 miles (at most) pour some injector cleaner into the distributor and let it soak for 5-6 hours. The distributor gets gunked-up and tehn thsi burns out stepper motors. If one of the channels is gunked and I suspect it is, you'll see this problem, and worse your stepper motor will be next.

That stepper is perrrrrrrricy (£240 odd) so look after it. My distributor sits on the bulkheasd so this is a simple job, I've seen where it is on a 2002 V70 and it is a in cowson of a location. I hope your is easy to get to.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Oct 22nd, 2014 at 19:11.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2014, 22:13   #20
reggit
Premier Member

Don't know if you've seen it,but someone is breaking an S60 bi-fuel advertised in the General sales bit at the bottom of the forum list - may be worth trying to get the dissy/stepper motor/inlet manifold for the LPG injectors from it? Sounds like it's suffered a timing failure that's trashed the engine, so the LPG bits are probably good

Last edited by reggit; Nov 3rd, 2014 at 22:15.
reggit is offline   Reply With Quote