Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 Wind Noise Over 85 MPH

Views : 45734

Replies : 163

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 3rd, 2012, 20:58   #131
iwanders

Just picked up my MY12 XC60 today, and guess what, it has this whistling noise. It's on the driver side (though not had a passenger in it yet) and starts at about 60 mph (though it was a little windy today). If I crack open the drivers window a fraction it gets much louder*, but any more and it's drowned out by the sound of general wind noise. Had a 2 hour drive down the A1 / A14 / M11, so most of it above 60mph, and have to say that by the end of it I had a bit of a headache. I see that others have said that Squire Furneaux know how to fix it, anyone know if any other London dealers know.

*So is it a mirror issue, not sure if the fact it got louder when I opened the window a fraction was because it was now letting in more noise, of that is the cause of the issue, where the window meets / seals against the door surround.
iwanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2012, 21:35   #132
Ransman
Master Member

What spec car did you get?
Ransman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2012, 21:46   #133
darbs
XC60 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanders View Post
Just picked up my MY12 XC60 today, and guess what, it has this whistling noise. It's on the driver side (though not had a passenger in it yet) and starts at about 60 mph (though it was a little windy today). If I crack open the drivers window a fraction it gets much louder*, but any more and it's drowned out by the sound of general wind noise. Had a 2 hour drive down the A1 / A14 / M11, so most of it above 60mph, and have to say that by the end of it I had a bit of a headache. I see that others have said that Squire Furneaux know how to fix it, anyone know if any other London dealers know.

*So is it a mirror issue, not sure if the fact it got louder when I opened the window a fraction was because it was now letting in more noise, of that is the cause of the issue, where the window meets / seals against the door surround.
mine managed to sort it. volvo colindale: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showpo...6&postcount=30 beware though, they are good, but they charge an arm and a leg for non-warranty. this was within warranty when i had it done and was therefore zero cost.
82 Metro 1.0
darbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2012, 22:09   #134
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Just picked up my MY12 XC60 today, and guess what, it has this whistling noise.
I thought this known manufacturing fault was resolved back in 2011 - your instance must be as a direct result of the assembly process missing out on inserting the sound insulation foam or what ever was used to fix it.
Old Mar 3rd, 2012, 22:32   #135
iwanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransman View Post
What spec car did you get?
D3 DRIVe SE, with Driver support pack (so has BLIS).
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 10:23   #136
iwanders

Did my 2nd drive around the M25 on Sunday. To start with the noise was there again at about 60mph+, the wife said that she couldn't hear anything from the passenger side (as far as she could tell), but about 1/2 way into the drive the noise stopped, also on the drive back I didn't have the noise either (though max speed probably about 75 mph).

Assume that the wind speed / direction also has an effect on this as to whether it occurs or at what speed. The noise stopped when we changed from going in a general south direction, to a west direction.

I have just spoken to the dealer that supplied the car, and he said that he wasn’t aware of any wind noise issue, but I have asked him to ask his service dept.
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 13:58   #137
844PHW
Master Member

Quote:
Did my 2nd drive around the M25 on Sunday. To start with the noise was there again at about 60mph+, the wife said that she couldn't hear anything from the passenger side (as far as she could tell), but about 1/2 way into the drive the noise stopped, also on the drive back I didn't have the noise either (though max speed probably about 75 mph).

Assume that the wind speed / direction also has an effect on this as to whether it occurs or at what speed. The noise stopped when we changed from going in a general south direction, to a west direction.

I have just spoken to the dealer that supplied the car, and he said that he wasn’t aware of any wind noise issue, but I have asked him to ask his service dept.
There are potentially lots of different variables in the problem. However, for sake of argument if you are doing say 60mph and there is a 20mph wind directly from the side direction, the resultant airflow over the car will be significantly off the fore and aft direction. In this "non-optimal" situation there may well be noticeable noise and it will be heard on the "downwind" side.

Questions would include: how loud a noise, what type of noise, was it constant, was a window open etc, but I am not actually asking. In the case you give, a change of direction seemed to cure the problem, suggesting the noise was related to wind direction.
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 14:11   #138
iwanders

Spoke to Squire Furneaux in Guildford this morning. The chap I spoke to said that they were aware of this wind noise on some of the other Volvo cars, but not specifically the XC60. He wanted me to book it in for a couple of days so that they could look at it. I said that some on here had had it fixed in about 30 mins, but he went on to explain that it's a bit of trial and error, and involved dismantling and "padding out" areas behind the wing mirror. Not overly impressed having the car dismantled as it's only a few days old, but can't live with that sound especially as quite a bit of my driving is motorway. So going in next week.
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 15:10   #139
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Spoke to Squire Furneaux in Guildford this morning. The chap I spoke to said that they were aware of this wind noise on some of the other Volvo cars, but not specifically the XC60. He wanted me to book it in for a couple of days so that they could look at it. I said that some on here had had it fixed in about 30 mins, but he went on to explain that it's a bit of trial and error, and involved dismantling and "padding out" areas behind the wing mirror. Not overly impressed having the car dismantled as it's only a few days old, but can't live with that sound especially as quite a bit of my driving is motorway. So going in next week.
I know that SF know what to do to rectify this problem - they did it for me a long time ago and I have pointed several people here to SF and they have all had the issue resolved

They even took pictures of the issue when I originally reported it - supposedly to file a report on the resolution to Volvo.

I have to say that I have always found them to be very helpful at Guildford SF - I am sure that they will sort you out
The Following User Says Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 19th, 2012, 11:04   #140
iwanders

Got the car back from Squire Furneaux at the weekend, and so far all seems good. The general wind noise is better, and at motorway speed there was no whistling noise, and on a clear bit of road I was able to "push it" a bit, and again no whistling noise. We have to see what happens on a longer journey / windy day.

Just need to get the issue with the Volvo On call iPhone app sorted now, and then I can get on with enjoying the car.