Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Gard X paint protection

Views : 883

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 5th, 2014, 14:02   #1
Stuartwmcc

Default Gard X paint protection

Hi

Have "acquired" the two step gard x paint protection. Have a saville grey r design xc60 which is a couple of months old. When a "bird strike" happens noticing that the pain work (even though I remove ASAP) shows a little damage. Have meguiars stuff which helps to bring it back up.

Is it gard x worth putting on myself and how difficult is it to put on? Read varying reviews which all imply professional application - with limited DIY instructions.

I don't want to put it on and find out I make an #<se of it and make the paint work worse

All thoughts welcome!

Thanks

Stuart
Stuartwmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2014, 17:18   #2
swishtony
Master Member

Personally I wouldn't apply any of these coatings myself. Probably save you money but IMO a huge risk if you've not done anything similar before. I'm having my new car professionally done with Gtechniq stuff which I believe I could do myself, however do I really want to risk damaging the paintwork of a brand new car, not really! Apparently the bodywork has to be perfect before you can apply most of these coatings so I guess that's what the pro's will be good at sorting.
Old Jul 5th, 2014, 17:19   #3
swishtony
Master Member

Having said that it might be worth checking on DW forum to see if they know much about that particular product.
Old Jul 5th, 2014, 17:53   #4
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

GardX is just a sealant not a coating product. It can be applied like any sealant product ipa wipe down and then apply the wiped own giving the maximum durability (very few filler products to hide defects will sit under sealants).

Coatings work on the same basis swishtony,the only difference is in the level of protection offered and that there is only one product I know that adds more glows under coatings but it is expensive.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ninja59 For This Useful Post: