Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2004 V70 handbrake question

Views : 685

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 22nd, 2023, 17:01   #1
AlanR

Default 2004 V70 handbrake question

My local garage is experiencing probs getting handbrake MOT pass, say it fails and garage frustrated by lack of adjustment on the cable.

Is it true that V70 has no handrake cable adjustment?

________V70 T S auto MY2005_________
AlanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2023, 17:14   #2
Simmy
Premier Member

there is an adjuster under the handbrake handle in the center console . get genuine volvo hand brake shoes fitted . if some one has fitted aftermarket shoes you will struggle to get a good hand brake check that the cables are free moving and the cables are fitted in the expanders correctly.
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2023, 17:54   #3
AlanR

Thanks Simmy - issue is that local garage who have successfully serviced my V70 don't seem to know of adjustment as I said, but your point re OEM shoes may be valid as I suspect aftermarket may be the issue, will check tomorrow.

How do I approach the issue mechanic may not know what he's talking about? Old friend known/used the garage for over 15 years, and provided excellent reliable service!

________V70 T S auto MY2005_________
AlanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2023, 19:14   #4
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

genuine hb shoes are a softer compound. and have a slightly different shape only noticeable when you have both types in front of you ask me how i know. some people fit after market adjusters to the shoes instead of the H bar which can wear on high mileage cars .and also reduces the roll back which these cars have.
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2023, 22:07   #5
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

not to forget also as with all cars the cables can get stretched, so the single point of adjustment by the handle up front can be insufficient

parts that can need replacing include:
  • single cable from lever to balancer under arm rest
  • the two cables going to each hub
  • the expanders in the hub which can dry up, corrode, and start binding (in theory you can clean up and regrease but they're cheap so why bother)
  • the shoes (everyone agrees, volvo branded only)
  • all springs (I would advise using volvo branded ones for the shoe retainers at the very least as they seemed stronger)
  • the disk/drum, if necessary

with all of that changed, and done correctly, there's no reason the handbrake shouldn't hold the car on just 2 clicks

now.. the in-hub adjusters.. some say they're not necessary and therefore advise against them and can even get a bit argumentative about it, I've found. I put them on mine and I see them more as fine tuning for each side, because I found one side was tightening slightly more than the other and I used them to make up for that, for that reason I am in favour of them

if you don't like them don't use them

locks up on 2 clicks, 3 for a steep hill, works perfectly in every way but I still have the slight roll-back, I can't see how that can be avoided as it's just an unfortunate aspect of the rear brake back plates design - the shoes are able to rotate a good 10 degrees or so at least when in the locked up position

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Feb 22nd, 2023 at 22:39.
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stuart bowes For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2023, 22:26   #6
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

also as with most things these days you can familiarise yourself with the setup by watching youtube videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTLZuz70nEk

she shows you the up-front adjuster at 33:30 but obviously if that's all you're doing you don't need to dismantle the whole centre console

mini project - link
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stuart bowes For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2023, 11:32   #7
Joe Harding
Premier Member

After a lot of messing around, I replaced the shoes even although they were still within spec. The difference is amazing. Handbrake that needs little effort to hold the car on any incline.

Check your cables though. If they're stretched, nothing will be very good.

As a rule we park our car in gear with the HB off. It stops the dreaded rust binding the shoes and tearing the friction surface off when you drive away.
Old Feb 23rd, 2023, 11:47   #8
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Harding View Post
After a lot of messing around, I replaced the shoes even although they were still within spec. The difference is amazing. Handbrake that needs little effort to hold the car on any incline.

Check your cables though. If they're stretched, nothing will be very good.

As a rule we park our car in gear with the HB off. It stops the dreaded rust binding the shoes and tearing the friction surface off when you drive away.
Good advice, Joe; we do likewise. But only on the drive though, as I think that it is a legal requirement to set the hand brake when parked on a public road. Not sure about supermarket and pub car parks and the like though.

Regards, John.
Old Feb 23rd, 2023, 12:20   #9
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

it does beg the question, in an auto which of course has a transmission brake (P) is it necessary to park on the handbrake

does 'resting' the car on the P brake damage the 'box?

If not then really the only time you need the handbrake is for steep hill starts, or if you're at traffic lights and prefer to knock it into N rather than P

I do just use both though, more out of habit than anything else, and if on a big hill the old classic steering wheels turned towards the curb is always adviseable

mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Feb 23rd, 2023 at 12:22.
Old Feb 24th, 2023, 12:33   #10
old onions

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart bowes View Post
it does beg the question, in an auto which of course has a transmission brake (P) is it necessary to park on the handbrake
In the USA where almost every car is an auto box, the parking brake becomes almost unused for long periods as everybody just leaves the car in Park.

My late brother advised me NOT to use the auxiliary brake (I think it was foot operated under the dashboard) as the chances are it would be seized up from lack of use.

2006 V70 SE 2.4 Manual
old onions is offline   Reply With Quote