Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Best IPod/UBS/Hard Drive Music Option

Views : 1249

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 12th, 2018, 06:34   #1
GTA SOL

Default Best IPod/UBS/Hard Drive Music Option

New member here so I hope I’m following the right protocols for the forum. I’ve searched various threads but can’t find a definitive answer so here goes.

I’m about to take delivery of a MY19 XC60 Momentum and I want to understand the best way to play music on the Sensus system. I don’t have space to store music on my phone and the car doesn’t have apple car play.

I currently use an iPod classic connected to my VW CC which works great and I’d like to try and replicate this functionality with my XC60.

- will the IPod classic work on the XC60 if I connect it via the USB in the arm rest? If so, will it give full accessibility via the Sensus (ie can I search through the iPod file structure for albums, artists, songs etc as I currently can on my VW CC)?

- if the IPod classic is not supported, what’s the next best option? More modern IPod? UBS stick? External hard drive?

- which of these alternative options would give the best functionality via the Sensus system to search, select and play songs via albums, artists and songs?

Many thanks
GTA SOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2018, 07:51   #2
SuffolkBoy
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA SOL View Post
New member here so I hope I’m following the right protocols for the forum. I’ve searched various threads but can’t find a definitive answer so here goes.

I’m about to take delivery of a MY19 XC60 Momentum and I want to understand the best way to play music on the Sensus system. I don’t have space to store music on my phone and the car doesn’t have apple car play.

I currently use an iPod classic connected to my VW CC which works great and I’d like to try and replicate this functionality with my XC60.

- will the IPod classic work on the XC60 if I connect it via the USB in the arm rest? If so, will it give full accessibility via the Sensus (ie can I search through the iPod file structure for albums, artists, songs etc as I currently can on my VW CC)?

- if the IPod classic is not supported, what’s the next best option? More modern IPod? UBS stick? External hard drive?

- which of these alternative options would give the best functionality via the Sensus system to search, select and play songs via albums, artists and songs?

Many thanks
First of all, welcome to the Forum, and hopefully you will soon be enjoying your new XC60.

This question about iPod Classic compatibility was raised recently, and I checked this in my MY18 XC60, and found that it worked in by plugging it in via the USB socket and then using the IPOD icon on the Sensus screen.

Other members with MY19 models seem to have an issue with the iPod Classic model in their cars, however.

My car has not had any software updates since February when it went in to the Dealer for the 3 month check up, so I can only say that it works in my car and hopefully it will work in your car when you get it.

I also have a couple of 8gb flash drives with some of my music on them, and they work well in the USB port.
Good luck.

Last edited by SuffolkBoy; Sep 12th, 2018 at 07:53.
SuffolkBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2018, 10:11   #3
Fursty Ferret

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuffolkBoy View Post
First of all, welcome to the Forum, and hopefully you will soon be enjoying your new XC60.

This question about iPod Classic compatibility was raised recently, and I checked this in my MY18 XC60, and found that it worked in by plugging it in via the USB socket and then using the IPOD icon on the Sensus screen.

Good luck.
iPod Classic definitely doesn't work on MY19 cars. No issues with an iPod Nano though. I think you'd be fine too with a USB memory stick - the only reason I still use the Nano is because I have a load of audiobooks stored on it and the handling of the chapter structure is better. I might do some experimentation with the USB stick approach, as I've used an iPod in the car for 6 years now.
Fursty Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2018, 10:23   #4
Haldex
Premier Member

IMO nothing beats an USB key.. I got myself one of those tiny metal ones that is almost flush with the port when inserted. And 64GB stores more music than I can handle..
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2018, 10:31   #5
dchbrown

I'm sure I've seen something about iOS 8 or newer being required for the MY19 cars. Perhaps that is the issue with the iPod Classic?
Old Sep 12th, 2018, 10:41   #6
GTA SOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldex View Post
IMO nothing beats an USB key.. I got myself one of those tiny metal ones that is almost flush with the port when inserted. And 64GB stores more music than I can handle..
Haldex - can I ask how the Sensus system handles searching for music on the USB key? Is it easy to scroll through album and artist lists? Can you play an entire album? Can you play all songs from a particular artist?
Thanks
Old Sep 12th, 2018, 12:23   #7
Goodshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldex View Post
Me too. Only difference was that using the same system in my previous car, the music actually downloaded from the flash drive onto a hard disc on the car - and from there you could shuffle or do what you want with the music in a sort of jukebox setting. Then you could take away the flash drive and still have a USB slot available. I don't know whether it's a backward step or a forward step by volvo to not provide a built in hdd. Most of its market are probably a long way from happy about having to use streaming services!

The basic flash drive works fine though.
Old Sep 12th, 2018, 13:30   #8
GTA SOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fursty Ferret View Post
iPod Classic definitely doesn't work on MY19 cars. No issues with an iPod Nano though. I think you'd be fine too with a USB memory stick - the only reason I still use the Nano is because I have a load of audiobooks stored on it and the handling of the chapter structure is better. I might do some experimentation with the USB stick approach, as I've used an iPod in the car for 6 years now.
Fursty Ferret
Before I pick up a nano off ebay, can I ask what 'generation' Ipod nano you have connected as I read somewhere that only IOS enabled ipods will work?

Also, when you access the nano through the Sensus infotainment system, can you browse through the nano's menus and playlists? For example, can you select a particular album to play, or all the songs from a particular artist? Is it as easy to use as selecting music as if you were listening to the nano directly?

Finally, did you need to convert the music files into a specific format to play through the Sensus or does is it ok in the standard apple ipod music format?
The Following User Says Thank You to GTA SOL For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 12th, 2018, 13:32   #9
Nerdy Norm

If you have a large music collection, bear in mind the file number limit in the car's handling of the USB system. I was unable to access all my music via flash drive or portable HDD. The best solution I've found has been to put a large-capacity SD card into a budget Android phone and access the music via Android Auto.
Nerdy Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2018, 13:35   #10
Fursty Ferret

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA SOL View Post
Fursty Ferret
Before I pick up a nano off ebay, can I ask what 'generation' Ipod nano you have connected as I read somewhere that only IOS enabled ipods will work?

Also, when you access the nano through the Sensus infotainment system, can you browse through the nano's menus and playlists? For example, can you select a particular album to play, or all the songs from a particular artist? Is it as easy to use as selecting music as if you were listening to the nano directly?

Finally, did you need to convert the music files into a specific format to play through the Sensus or does is it ok in the standard apple ipod music format?
I have a 7th gen ipod nano. Doesn't run iOS. When you access it through Sensus it essentially uses the same menu structure as the ipod - artists / albums / playlists etc.

No special conversion needed, just let iTunes do everything.
Fursty Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fursty Ferret For This Useful Post: