Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Is my 04 V40 finally dead?

Views : 1009

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 13th, 2018, 17:10   #1
johnnyray

Default Is my 04 V40 finally dead?

Right,

My car is due an MOT and the dreaded SRS warning light just came on (lovely timing). I've already replaced the SRS module so must be something else. I've had the code read and was told by the mains dealer its: SRS 0130 left front SIPS bag high resistance. They want £550 to replace but mentioned that it could be wiring up to the unit. Is this something easy ish to check out? Anyone know of any guides?

Also following list (with quoted garage prices) - any you could easily DIY and any really need a garage to replace:
  • Front brake hoses cracked and need replacing - £210
  • Suspension rear left anti roll bar link needs replacing - £105
  • Suspension both front anti roll roll bar link rods leaking - £170

The car is an 04 reg with 196k on the clock but the gearbox and engine are solid (along with the bodywork). I don't want to send to scrap - would appreciate some expert advise!

Thanks
johnnyray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2018, 17:39   #2
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Well, a drop link / roll bar link / link rod (same thing) cannot leak because it's just a metal bar with a knuckle joint on each end, you can get a decent pair of fronts for around 30 quid, or less than 20 if you just get the cheapest ones, and a pair of rears are 20 quid or thereabouts, fitting them is barely an hour job, as for brake pipes and side air bag stuff I'm unsure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20180913-174324.jpg (94.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20180913-174403.jpg (95.4 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by clarkey1984; Sep 13th, 2018 at 17:45.
clarkey1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to clarkey1984 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 13th, 2018, 19:24   #3
johnnyray

That doesn't sound too bad - found a good how to guide for them so will have a go. Think the main issue is finding a way to check the SRS wiring up to the side airbag - anyone with any ideas?
Old Sep 13th, 2018, 20:28   #4
gatos
Premier Member

Most probably the connector under the seat causing the sips problem. If you can't get the connector sorted, then you can get a complete seat for much less and just replace it. Maximum, £50 for a passenger's seat.

With regards to front brake hoses being cracked, I think 210 is a bit too steep. You can get aftermarket brake hoses for not more than £30 for the pair and fitting should not take more than an hour, including bleeding the brakes

Febi Holstein rear drop link is £25 and takes less than 10 minutes to replace, including a coffee brake.

Not sure what you mean by leaking front anti roll bars, as there is nothing to leak. Either the drop links are perished, which is very common on our car, or the actual front shocks are leaking. If it is only drop links being faulty, you can get meyle ones for £30 for the pair and it takes less than 45 minutes to replace both

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2018, 20:37   #5
johnnyray

Thanks Gato - the mains dealer said they tested the wiring under the seat and it was ok. Is there a way to test the wiring up to the airbag itself?
Old Sep 13th, 2018, 21:06   #6
andy_d
Premier Member

Front brake hoses cracked and need replacing - £210
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Goodridge...s/380693651955
a set of 4 braided steel hoses £90 + fitting +new fluid (£20 ) + bleeding of brake system
£110 and its all done you supply the labour
you Will need a jack/axel stands , time and a decent tool kit ,, easy job

Suspension rear left anti roll bar link needs replacing - £105
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-X-VOLVO...K/291567568429
£20 the pair + fitting the Pair yourself,,

Suspension both front anti roll roll bar link rods leaking - £170
bull**** find another garage , a bit of metal with 2 knuckle joints can not leak ,,do not return to that garage !

Airbags
first off
If you hurt yourself/trip the airbag ,, its all on you

before working on ANY part of the SRS system, im sure you know, but you Disconnect the battery and give the car a Min of 20mins with the battery disconnected before doing anything

there IS a weak spot in the wires ,
it is where the seat back joins the seat base, the wires there CAN get damaged

Disconnect all the wires To the seat
seatbelts off
seat Out the car
Take the cover Off the seat base
take the cover off the seat back
find the corrugated tube that connects the back to the base (trace it from the airbag down )
check for splits in it and the wires inside,,

choice at this point , get a 2nd hand one from a scrapped v/s40 (same year if poss) that has not been activated,, swap
AT Your own risk, Do NOT use a multi meter or apply ANY voltage to the wire the risk of air bag deployment is Very great visually inspect the cables, and solder up/repair the wires where the break is

your going to swear at the "hog rings" that hold the seat covers on, your Going to get minor cuts all over hands, its going to be a Fiddle and *buggerit cuppa back in 10 job,, it IS doable

i took my leather seat covers off, fitted the heated seat elements, refitted the covers,, Then had to take them off to replace the passenger side airbag as the little scrote who sold me the seats Didnt say the airbag had deployed, been cut off, and the leather re stitched,,
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 13th, 2018, 21:26   #7
johnnyray

Thanks Andy - looks like I've got a project on my hands! When I've done all the work and (fingers crossed) found the wiring issue will the SRS light turn off - I think I remember that I'll need this resetting?
Old Sep 13th, 2018, 21:48   #8
cbarrow

Re SRS light, it may be worth trying to find someone with a code reader or VIDA to see if it can be reset before diving into the hardware. My old V40 would often trigger an SRS light (when anything rolled under the pax seat) and the light would always reset with a code reader. The Volvo main dealer told me it couldn't be reset and I needed a new SIPS bag... which was an outright lie... It was a dodgy connector under the seat in my case.
cbarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2018, 07:59   #9
Dippydog
Premier Member

Given that the dealer has told you the front drop links are leaking when clearly they aren't because they can't do you really trust them when they tell you the under seat connector isn't faulty?
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2018, 09:33   #10
johnnyray

fair point - I've got a detailed video of the investigation that they did. If I can work out how to get it on here I'll post it. Its a new Volvo dealership - the workshop was amazing (shame they don't let you do your DIY in their for a small fee!)

Tags
mot, srs airbag