Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Foot operated tailgate operation hit-and-miss

Views : 2228

Replies : 37

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 27th, 2023, 15:47   #11
sandys
XC60 T8 Ultimate Dark

Have you tried just walking directly up to the rear of the car with keys in pocket, my boot just auto opens, no kick needed, very annoying when you are just passing the rear going to the driver seat
Old Jun 27th, 2023, 17:13   #12
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelper85 View Post
You fitted your own switch! Why did you/do you want the ability to disable it?
Directly quoting myself from post #6

"My biggest issue is opening or closing when I don't want it to. Especially if there is background noise. Classic example is when hoovering the boot and the boot closes on you without you realising. Hence why I installed the isolator switch."
- MY17 V60 T4 Power Blue.
Previously:- 1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2023, 17:41   #13
FreddieC73

That's interesting- if I stop mine with the hand while it is opening, it just stops opening, but does not close. Consistently- I do it quite often in a multi storey carpark, with very low ceilings.

QUOTE=Philip Fisher;2902654]I kick in and out on the left hand side and it works pretty much flawlessly. Only when I have disabled it in the boot with my toggle switch does it not work - I usually forget I have turned it off until I get back to the car and look like a plonker trying to get it to work.

Block the boot with your hand or body when it is rising and it will go back down. Press the close button when it is rising and it will stop in a mid way position.

My biggest issue is opening or closing when I don't want it to. Especially if there is background noise. Classic example is when hoovering the boot and the boot closes on you without you realising. Hence why I installed the isolator switch.[/QUOTE]
FreddieC73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2023, 07:52   #14
Yelper85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
Directly quoting myself from post #6

"My biggest issue is opening or closing when I don't want it to. Especially if there is background noise. Classic example is when hoovering the boot and the boot closes on you without you realising. Hence why I installed the isolator switch."
Ah sorry Phil, clearly wasn't thinking when I asked that question. Apologies.

So even if hoovering that can case the boot to close automatically? Is that because the hoover goes underneath the bumper so gets interpreted as a foot oris there another mechanism for auto closure?

I'm assuming there's no automatic timeout?

20 plate XC60 Inscription Pro T8 PHEV + Polestar
Yelper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2023, 07:54   #15
Yelper85

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandys View Post
Have you tried just walking directly up to the rear of the car with keys in pocket, my boot just auto opens, no kick needed, very annoying when you are just passing the rear going to the driver seat
No mine definitely doesn't do that!

That would p1$$ me off royally

Old Jun 28th, 2023, 07:56   #16
Yelper85

Quote:
Originally Posted by sootyvandriver View Post
Mine hardly ever works. However every time I fit the detachable towbar the tailgate tries to kill me.
Not quite in line with the Volvo safety ethics

Old Jun 28th, 2023, 08:11   #17
Yelper85

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieC73 View Post
That's interesting- if I stop mine with the hand while it is opening, it just stops opening, but does not close. Consistently- I do it quite often in a multi storey carpark, with very low ceilings.

QUOTE=Philip Fisher;2902654]I kick in and out on the left hand side and it works pretty much flawlessly. Only when I have disabled it in the boot with my toggle switch does it not work - I usually forget I have turned it off until I get back to the car and look like a plonker trying to get it to work.

Block the boot with your hand or body when it is rising and it will go back down. Press the close button when it is rising and it will stop in a mid way position.

My biggest issue is opening or closing when I don't want it to. Especially if there is background noise. Classic example is when hoovering the boot and the boot closes on you without you realising. Hence why I installed the isolator switch.
[/QUOTE]

Ok, I tested mine last night, and the operation is now working perfectly every time now I know the sensor is actually below the 'V' and not between the tailpipe and ultrasonic sensor. I tried a good 20 times and it never failed once be it to open, close, or pause.

As for the modes of operation when obstructions/force is detected or buttons pressed, this is what mine does:

1. Boot is opening and you stop the boot rising - Boot closes automatically

2. Boot is closing and you stop it - Boot stops where it is. Press close it continues to close, gesture with foot (can't remember, I'll try that tonight and report back but I'm 99% sure it continues to close as it knows it's open so it assumes any action now is to close)

3. Boot opening and you press the button - Stops where it is. Press again and it goes down.

4. Boot closing and you press the button - Stops where it is. Press again . . . can't remember, but again I think it goes down but I'll check tonight.

5. Gesture kick open then gesture kick again. Stops. Gesture kick again, 99% sure it goes down, but again I'll confirm tonight (and write it down this time rather than assume I'll remember! )

Not sure about yours, but when rising mine takes a significant amount of force to stop it. On the way down requires much less force.

I'm also sure there's a way to limit the maximum opening height so it always opens to that height for reasons such as you have a low garage roof or in a low ceiling car park like @FreddieC73 said. Yes you can stop it and manually open, but is there a way to set the maximum opening distance?

Old Jun 28th, 2023, 09:45   #18
Stevepvolvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sootyvandriver View Post
Mine hardly ever works. However every time I fit the detachable towbar the tailgate tries to kill me.
Yep same here - my tailgate tries to kill me when I'm attaching the caravan
would really love to know how you fitted a toggle switch. I am competent with car electrics etc but was under the impression from another post that it was the inner most left rear parking sensor that controlled this function. Would be very interested for the details of your toggle if you are happy to share
Stevepvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2023, 10:07   #19
Yelper85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelper85 View Post
I'm also sure there's a way to limit the maximum opening height so it always opens to that height for reasons such as you have a low garage roof or in a low ceiling car park like @FreddieC73 said. Yes you can stop it and manually open, but is there a way to set the maximum opening distance?
Just been told this is how to do it:

To set the maximum opening of the boot, open the boot, lift it to the desired max height and then hold the close button in for 3 seconds.

Old Jun 28th, 2023, 10:08   #20
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevepvolvo View Post
Yep same here - my tailgate tries to kill me when I'm attaching the caravan
would really love to know how you fitted a toggle switch. I am competent with car electrics etc but was under the impression from another post that it was the inner most left rear parking sensor that controlled this function. Would be very interested for the details of your toggle if you are happy to share
It's not the parking sensor that activates it, the foot sensor is situated under/behind the bumper below the area of the parking sensor, in line with the V of the Volvo badge.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post: