Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil in water issue

Views : 794

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 24th, 2009, 15:55   #1
moorevolvo

Default Oil in water issue

I have viewed a few threads on here with regards to oil in the water, well my v40 just did this today and thick oil was in my expansion tank and has spurted out all over the rear quarter of my engine bay There is no water in the engine oil (which is a touch low but looks ok).

I am not unfamiliar with mechanics but have never had dealings with an intercooler before and have never seen this issue before. Will it be the intercooler or is it something else and far more sinister?

Any help would be appreciated
moorevolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 16:11   #2
spangoolies
Better Than Premier!

will have nothing to do with intercooler, completely separate sytem. oil and water wise, a turbo car is pretty much the same as a non turbo car. the only time they come close to each other on that system is where they cool and lubricate the turbo. but i highly doubt they will be mixing there, your turbo would need to be severely foocked for that to happen

Last edited by spangoolies; Jan 24th, 2009 at 16:14.
spangoolies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 18:28   #3
Gareth83

headgasket failure by the sounds of it

do a compression check
Gareth83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 02:34   #4
Danilis

I think the oil cooler is damaged.
In the cooler the oil is under pressure (much more than coolant).
So, if any leakage occurred, has result as you described.
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 07:57   #5
WernerT4

When u let the car idle with the expansion tank cap off, do u see any bubbles in the water? What it also can be is a hairline crack in the engine block or head but then internal leakage will occur and ull have a milky oil cap..but thats not always the case.
WernerT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 19:48   #6
chris5360

i had this with my car and it was the oil/water cooler bit where the oil filter goes on ( 98 1.9td) worth a quick peek all mine needed was to be a bit tighter
chris5360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 11:14   #7
moorevolvo

Thank you all for your input, I will check the issue with your inputs and report back, hopefully looking like this and not this
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 18:25   #8
moorevolvo

The plot thickens!

I couldn't see any problems with the oil cooler so I refitted everything and decided to run the engine a bit and see if I could spot a problem with my head under the bonnet. After servicing and replacing all the parts (including lost water) there is not enough battery to turn the engine over properly. The car cut out on my return journey and I put it down to slight overheating. The battery has been fine up until the incident. What could have caused a such a reliable battery to lose it's power so quickly?