Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S80 V8 What issues should I look out for?

Views : 1319

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 9th, 2021, 10:45   #1
nemesisthewarlock
3.o

Default S80 V8 What issues should I look out for?

Ok, I maybe about to fall for another big engine Volvo this time an S80 with the V8 rather than the Six Pack in my 960 Estate.

What pitfalls do I need to avoid?

I do know that the T6 is probably a better bet, but I am seduced by the sound of that V8 and my 960 has awoken my "need for swede speed"!

I hear that drivetrains maybe an issue with the AWD cars and that water can get into the block.. What other issues could trip me up?

All help and advice much appreciated

Ben
nemesisthewarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2021, 12:47   #2
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesisthewarlock View Post
Ok, I maybe about to fall for another big engine Volvo this time an S80 with the V8 rather than the Six Pack in my 960 Estate.

What pitfalls do I need to avoid?

I do know that the T6 is probably a better bet, but I am seduced by the sound of that V8 and my 960 has awoken my "need for swede speed"!

I hear that drivetrains maybe an issue with the AWD cars and that water can get into the block.. What other issues could trip me up?

All help and advice much appreciated

Ben
The T5 is probably the better bet !
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2021, 14:26   #3
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Leaking cam cover gaskets. An access nightmare, requiring double digit hours to replace for someone that knows what they are doing. And they do leak, so check carefully.

Ditto the alternator. Its an access nightmare, and while its a PITA the easiest method is simply to lift the engine out, so any doubts about the integrity of that and you might want to pass. It can be done by removing a wheel and tunneling in from there, but that isn't actually any quicker I'm told.

The engine itself is fundamentally quite strong, so if its been serviced as required there should be no major issues.

Depending on the transmission it's only 0.2 seconds quicker to 60 than the T6, and 1.2 seconds quicker than the T5.

In the US there was an "Anniversary Edition" of a few hundred S80's with a mildly tuned T6 that was actuslly 0.2 seconds quicker than the V8 that came along a few years later. That being the case, if you got yourself a T6 and a mild remap it will be quicker than the V8, which is another option you could consider.
Old Dec 9th, 2021, 15:35   #4
nemesisthewarlock
3.o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman 90 View Post
Leaking cam cover gaskets. An access nightmare, requiring double digit hours to replace for someone that knows what they are doing. And they do leak, so check carefully.

Ditto the alternator. Its an access nightmare, and while its a PITA the easiest method is simply to lift the engine out, so any doubts about the integrity of that and you might want to pass. It can be done by removing a wheel and tunneling in from there, but that isn't actually any quicker I'm told.

The engine itself is fundamentally quite strong, so if its been serviced as required there should be no major issues.

Depending on the transmission it's only 0.2 seconds quicker to 60 than the T6, and 1.2 seconds quicker than the T5.

In the US there was an "Anniversary Edition" of a few hundred S80's with a mildly tuned T6 that was actuslly 0.2 seconds quicker than the V8 that came along a few years later. That being the case, if you got yourself a T6 and a mild remap it will be quicker than the V8, which is another option you could consider.
Thanks for the info, I just like the sound of the V8 and of course the rarity of the wee beastie.. just 12 showing on how many left...
Old Dec 9th, 2021, 21:13   #5
ferg55

There must be more than 12 left - they actually come up for sale fairly regularly and there has been 3 or 4 in the last few months alone.

If you head over to Swedespeed, there is a lot more info on them, practically Ford Focus' over there.
ferg55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2021, 08:43   #6
Sotosound
Premier Member

Hmmm.

Does the small number in existence combined with a high incidence of these vehicles coming up for sale suggest that people don't keep them very long?
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2021, 10:14   #7
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
Hmmm.

Does the small number in existence combined with a high incidence of these vehicles coming up for sale suggest that people don't keep them very long?
The price of fuel and road tax is probably the major factor why people dont keep them very long. If you want a toy with a V8 there are a lot better ones out there than a Volvo S80
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 10th, 2021, 10:48   #8
nemesisthewarlock
3.o

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
The price of fuel and road tax is probably the major factor why people dont keep them very long. If you want a toy with a V8 there are a lot better ones out there than a Volvo S80
Oh I know that, I looked at some Hemi 300Cs, Jags and the German crowd but I am a Volvo convert now and the car is a real sleeper especially if you de-badge it and remove the v8 badge
Old Dec 10th, 2021, 11:00   #9
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
I'd be inclined to agree. It's not a bad engine my any means, fundamentally very strong and able to take a lot of tuning, but in standard form it's pretty weedy for any engine of that size, never mind a V8. The power delivery isn't typical V8 grunt either, and the overall performance doesn't justify the running costs.

That's my personal view. I also like real ale and Roger Whittaker, so no accounting for taste.
Old Dec 10th, 2021, 11:44   #10
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesisthewarlock View Post
Oh I know that, I looked at some Hemi 300Cs, Jags and the German crowd but I am a Volvo convert now and the car is a real sleeper especially if you de-badge it and remove the v8 badge
It's more asleep than a sleeper. As Familyman rightly pionts out it's a very poor V8 performance wise

The Hemi isn't great performance wise unless you get the 6.1SRT with 425bhp but you will need to tow a tanker behind you and it will handle like a demented North sea ferry
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post: