Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sensus Connect - Spotify

Views : 7288

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 21st, 2017, 09:22   #11
riggsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julianpms View Post
I too would love to have a fully integrated Spotify app on my current V60 and on the V40 I have on order. To be fair to Volvo, however, when I took delivery of my V60 in 2014, Sensus did include the Rdio app, which was similar to Spotify. You could import Spotify playlists into it easily too, with a free utility. Unfortunately for us in Europe, Rdio got taken over by Pandora and the Volvo service fell by the wayside following the takeover, a decision taken by Pandora, not Volvo.
Yes I agree, not exactly Volvo's fault but for owners to be left with no music streaming service in the UK is pretty poor by today's standards. I would hope they would work on a replacement integration, anything will do, it really isn't difficult to do. My preference and the most sensible option would probably be spotify but anything, just 1 decent app will do the trick, e.g. Spotify, Apple, Google. I've already contacted Volvo UK, would appreciate it if other's could do the same if they are also miffed about not having a streaming app. Shame about Rdio, I'd never used it but it was at least an option, currently we don't have one!
riggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2017, 09:37   #12
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Don't hold out any hope of getting anything from Volvo UK 'customer care' as all they do is redirect people to the dealer network. Their name is one huge oxymoron as they don't care about customers once you have purchased the car.
The Following User Says Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2017, 15:13   #13
red baron
under the bonnet

I'm honestly shocked to see that Volvo are not supporting widely used applications such as spotify in cars. So much for driver safety and focus on driving when you've to lift you phone to search instead of using the car's, no doubt expensive on board computer system.

If it's an android system surely someone can root / download spotify onto it? Drastic having to 'hack' a new car though
V50 D5
red baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2017, 17:04   #14
riggsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by red baron View Post
I'm honestly shocked to see that Volvo are not supporting widely used applications such as spotify in cars. So much for driver safety and focus on driving when you've to lift you phone to search instead of using the car's, no doubt expensive on board computer system.

If it's an android system surely someone can root / download spotify onto it? Drastic having to 'hack' a new car though
That was my approach with customer support, the safety aspect of having to look at phone to choose playlists etc on Spotify. USA users have the use of Pandora, not sure about other regions but as usual us UK users get the poor deal.
Old Mar 21st, 2017, 18:15   #15
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by red baron View Post

Why did you assume it is Android based? I am not aware that anyone has been bothered to find out if this is the case. There are lots of other potential operation systems that would permit the operations required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggsy View Post
That was my approach with customer support, the safety aspect of having to look at phone to choose playlists etc on Spotify. USA users have the use of Pandora, not sure about other regions but as usual us UK users get the poor deal.
You don't have to look at your phone to do anything, it is your choice that you wish to operate like this, which is also illegal. You could download the music to your phone, a USB stick or onto the car hard drive and have control from the steering wheel.
Old Mar 21st, 2017, 19:47   #16
Considered1
Premier Member

I was tempted to await Apple Carplay in the next XC60 and when I realised the new model was possibly a couple of years away I took the plunge for a great car.
Expecting to be let down by the tech I can safely say I have not used the Sensus apps for anything Music related.

I have been pleasantly surprised how easy it is to shout "hey Siri" (you can all do something similar now) "play whateverthe hell you want"

My only irritation has been the volume on my iPhone 5c would always start at 50% and wacking the car up to full just didnt do it. Now thankfully my apple watch opens music and I can turn the scroll wheel on my watch to max in a brief nano second without taking my eyes off the road.

I stream apple music from my phone to the car so should work just as easy with spotify on your phone.

frankly not sure what all the fuss is about.
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2017, 10:53   #17
riggsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
Why did you assume it is Android based? I am not aware that anyone has been bothered to find out if this is the case. There are lots of other potential operation systems that would permit the operations required.

You don't have to look at your phone to do anything, it is your choice that you wish to operate like this, which is also illegal. You could download the music to your phone, a USB stick or onto the car hard drive and have control from the steering wheel.
I think a couple of people are missing the point here.
a) I do not want to download music to the hard drive, that would require purchasing the music and then transfer to the sensus connect, why should i do that when I already pay for Spotify? Things have moved on from mp3 files.
b) Yes I would have to look at my phone, how else would I be able to change from one playlist to another? Not safe in my opinion and totally unecessary if the Sensus Connect can be used to provide an integrated experience.
c) my current ford vehicle has applink, this provides the required options such as "Choose playlist", "Choose Artist", "Browse" etc via the voice recognition and controls the phone's spotify app via a simple programming interface.
d) I fully understand I can do basic bluetooth streaming but my point is, volvo already provide the correct way of doing things with the current system but just haven't bothered with Spotify/Apple/Google for UK users, they should provide at least one suitable alternative for UK users, after all we at least used to have Rdio as an integrated streaming app.

Whichever way you look at it, the sensus connect no longer provides a music streaming app, they should pull their finger out and provide at least one of the major streaming services for the UK.
Old Mar 22nd, 2017, 14:25   #18
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggsy View Post
Whichever way you look at it, the sensus connect no longer provides a music streaming app, they should pull their finger out and provide at least one of the major streaming services for the UK.
It would require 'pressure' from Volvo UK to Sweden. Can't ever see this happening.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apps, sensus, sensus connect, spotify