Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

T4 vs T5

Views : 6472

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 10:58   #1
Ice Man

Hi All,

going to see my first T4 this week.

The thing is that it has 115,000 miles on the clock and is only 4 years old?

Am I asking for trouble ? It's nearly done 28,000 mile every year. It does have full history and all the toys.

The other question is how does if compare to the T5 ? Performance and the general realiability.

Help much appreciated.

Thanks and have a great new YEAR !
IceMan
Old Dec 30th, 2002, 15:56   #2
Mike Clift

Ice

If it has a proper main dealer service I would hope it to be fine. Makes sure cam belt and other bits were done at correct intervals etc.

Also check tyres particularly front nearside outer edge for wear. A set of tyres will not be cheap.

For that mileage it hasn't been tootling around town so it's probably all high speed motorway stuff which is what the car was made for.

Also make sure the required work under service bulletins has been done - the dealers can track the car history instantly for this.

Comparing it to the T5.

Obviously a smaller car body size wise.

I think the T5 will do 155 where as the T4 is 146 top end and the T5 may be a bit quicker than the T4's 7.3 to 62mph(100kph).

I suspect the differences performance wise are insignificant to worry about.

It may be worth an AA inspection if you have any worries - if the dealer is confident of the vehicle ask him to pay for it - a cheap price for him to pay to sell the car.

At the end of the day, I suspect it comes down to your gut feeling after you drive the car, taking into account age, mileage and price.

I'm sure you will get a few more replies here. I've had my T4 for 2.5 years, it has had a few problems which the dealer sorted eventually but my overall experience has been good. Mind you, it is Volvo number 5 for me, having moved to this from one of the first s40's into the UK.

Depending on how long you intend to keep the car the main problem you will have will be the one I am having now ... What do you change to when you are already at the top of the model range ?

Good Luck and let us all know how you get on.

Mike
Volvo V40 T4 SE Auto
Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 20:05   #3
sidt4

Hi ice man,

buy the T4, buy the T4, buy the T4, buy the T4, buy the T4, buy the T4, buy the T4, buy the T4, buy the T4, buy the T4, buy the T4, buy the T4.

I've got one, had it for four months, will never be the same again.

buy the T4, buy the T4, buy the T4, buy the T4, buy the T4.........................

99 (V) T4
Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 22:26   #4
Mike Clift

Sid

But you didn't say whether you like it or not.

Mike
Old Jan 6th, 2003, 10:03   #5
Dan F
Premier Member

Default RE: T4 vs T5

Hi.

I would buy the T4. I have had one for 9 months, and I love it to bits.

The T4 has a very good power to weight ratio, Stock it has 163 BHP per tonne.

I my opinion, the x40 is a sexier looking car, not so square and won't date as fast as the T5 (depending on age obviously).

Cheers,
Dan.
Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2003, 00:34   #6
Andy S

Maybe a bit late joining this one, but I have to agree with Dan on all points, ( although it took many months before my local dealers got my T4 running ok) however it's never let me down in 14 months of ownership, and what happens when it's running right is worth a few problems!!

As for performance, I've never driven a T5 but have no complaints about the T4 - very rapid.
As I understand it, good 0-60 times depend on abusing the car quite a lot, but practical performance figures, ie in gear times, need no special techniques and are more what the average driver is likely to achieve - and only you know if 140 or 150 top speed makes a difference to you.

As for in-gear times: according to "Autocar" the 98 T4 did 30-70 in 5.9 and 50-70(5th) in 7.7 (never really seen the point in that one, if I wanted to cover 50-70 quickly I wouldn't be anywhere near 5th!)

At that time the figures they had for a 93 T5 were 6.2 and 7.2,
and yet for a 98 V70 2.3tR: 6.5 and 8.5 ??

I don't know if anyone can expain the 'slower' R due to weight / gearing / poor measurement technique / bad conditions / act of god / etc, but to me the T4 looks to be at least in the same ball park.

PS If you get a T4, follow Mike Clift's advice & fit the latest washer jets - superb upgrade, thanks Mike!
Old Jan 16th, 2003, 10:13   #7
Dan F
Premier Member

To carry on from Andy S...

The T4 is definitely in the same ball park as the T5s. (As standard)
Forget tuning for now as you can basically get them all (T4, T5 or whatever) as fast as you want if you throw money at them.

You have to remember that the T5s are more often than not estate cars.
Therefore they are big and heavy. Therefore they need more power to get the same performance.
The T4 is lighter and has the same torque as the T5 and nearly as much horsepower and it achieves all of this from a 1.855litre (PI) engine and 4 cylinders. It is running at a high pressure though! 13psi standard.

I think the T4 is much underrated by people as it didn't receive as much press as the T5s and it was less ground breaking as well as Volvo had now, 'been there done that'. However, that suits me as it isn't seen as a stealable car and the insurance is relatively low.

I prefer the feel of the T4, it feels more 'alive' that the T5.
Also DEFINITELY go for the new washer jets, excellent mod! Only £6.50 for the pair, 30 seconds to fit.

later,
Dan.
Old Jan 16th, 2003, 12:58   #8
Mike Clift

I think I should be on Volvo commission for all the washer jets they must be selling!!!!

Mike
Old Jan 16th, 2003, 16:29   #9
Dan F
Premier Member

:-) lol!