Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Question

Views : 1683

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 21st, 2011, 16:11   #1
silvicontact

Question Question

Hi.
I have a problem with my volvo 2006 1.8 petrol.
Looks like the CEM (central unit module) has burned out.
I took it to the local garage, and the guy said that he can fix it once he can find the part.
Turns out that this parts are hard to find.
I have a quote from the dealer but they ask for £431.50 +vat for this part, which is not more than a fusebox.
In the end i agreed to buy it, but they said that i need to take the car to them to ,,program the part,, which costs me another £126.
My question is:
Does this part really need to be programmed to work or they just try to squeeze some extra money?

i love my car, but i am really starting to give up on it
silvicontact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2011, 16:52   #2
Daim
Brit in Germany

It needs to be removed and to do this, you need to "deregister" it from the onboard system and the "reregister" the new part...

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2011, 17:07   #3
silvicontact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daim View Post
It needs to be removed and to do this, you need to "deregister" it from the onboard system and the "reregister" the new part...
Is it a complicated procedure?
Old Apr 21st, 2011, 17:19   #4
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvicontact View Post
Is it a complicated procedure?
You need Volvo Vida for it, and that costs a lot of cash to run and no non-Volvo garage will have it...

Old Apr 21st, 2011, 18:24   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Are you sure it is "burned out" ?, what makes you think this? Has a volvo dealer told you this? If not they might have an easy fix like a software re load depending on whats happening or not happening .

It is far more than a fuse box , it is the central computer which runs all the other electronic modules on the car ..

It shouldnt cost any more than 18 minutes of their labour time to program it + the cost of the software . You cant use a second hand unit as it stores all the data, serial numbers , specification , immobiliser codes , mileage etc particular to your car .
Old Apr 21st, 2011, 19:08   #6
silvicontact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Are you sure it is "burned out" ?, what makes you think this? Has a volvo dealer told you this? If not they might have an easy fix like a software re load depending on whats happening or not happening .

It is far more than a fuse box , it is the central computer which runs all the other electronic modules on the car ..

It shouldnt cost any more than 18 minutes of their labour time to program it + the cost of the software . You cant use a second hand unit as it stores all the data, serial numbers , specification , immobiliser codes , mileage etc particular to your car .
I have the box at home, i took it to take some pictures to search for replacements.
The connectors at the bottom have missing pins which are melted in the plugs of the wires.
Old Apr 21st, 2011, 22:38   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

any idea what caused it? better make sure it was nothing external or it could happen again , You can get the connector terminals and shells on the car loom as spare parts , a tricky job though .
Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 09:08   #8
silvicontact

iI have 3 solutions:

1 i find it in a breakers yard and cut the connectors with a good piece of the loom, join the cables to the car loom and take it to a garage to reprogram it.(cheapest version)
2 I find the part on internet, buy the loom from volvo, connect the cables and take it to volvo to reprogram it.
3 I buy the part, the loom and get volvo to do the job, aprox £1300.

which one would be the most convenient?
Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 09:31   #9
Daim
Brit in Germany

Non, as you need to programme it at Volvo - otherwise your car won't start. That central part has all details about your car... VIN, key numbers, etc. etc.

If you fit one from a "scrap car", then take the keys, the ignition switch, the radio, etc. - because that all won't work on your car, if you fit another part (used).

Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 10:05   #10
silvicontact

So the best thing to do is to just take it to volvo and let them deal with it regardless of the outrageous costs?
There is no way i can get around it cheaper?