Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Turbo Whooshing

Views : 684

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 27th, 2017, 21:43   #1
EmmaK1

Default Turbo Whooshing

You know it is a bank holiday weekend when...

My 02 plate 220,000 mile V40 diesel has suddenly started making a loud whoosh when on the turbo. It is clearly audible in the car and outside (sounds like a jet taking off with the window down) but power is not noticeably down and it has not gone into limp mode. Off load it sounds just like normal.

Clearly there is an air leak. It sounds more like a blow than a suck but I could be wrong. When I got home I had a good feel around the pipes and hoses but was unable to find any obvious splits. Off load I could not hear any blow. I will try the hosepipe stethoscope in the morning then start taking it apart. (I need to clean the EGR valve anyway!)

If anybody has any ideas I would be pleased to hear them.

Last edited by EmmaK1; May 27th, 2017 at 23:20.
EmmaK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2017, 22:25   #2
SIAMBLUE
Premier Member

Hi check all of your hose clips they can break or rust so even though it looks like it's there, it won't be doing anything around that joint.
Old May 27th, 2017, 22:58   #3
aldred309uk

Get a spray bottle with a strong mixture of dish soap and get someone to gently rev the engine so you hear the whoosh and spray it liberally to look for bubbles or blowing air.

Helped me find mine.
Old May 30th, 2017, 17:33   #4
EmmaK1

Default Update

Used the car gently until today then...

The hose nearest the turbo had split for 40mm along the top where it is nearest the EGR. A heat shield maybe? (Then again it looks as though it has been there for 15 years... no mention of it being replaced in the service records or receipts.)

While I was at it I took out the EGR. To remove it I soaked it in freeze/release and 3-in-1, left it for 2 hours, warmed the manifold with a hot air gun until it was uncomfortable to touch then used a 12" stilson on the flange to get it moving. When it was moving reasonably freely (but still too tight to rotate by hand) I rotated it as I levered gently between the steel EGR flange and the gasket (not the aluminium manifold body) with a wide blade screwdriver. It was pretty cruddy inside. Yuk!

Ordered a new hose with the correct part number from a well known internet auction for £37.40 including 24 hour delivery.

Tracked down the Renault part numbers for the throttle body seal and EGR gasket. Found an 02 plate Laguna with the F9Q2 engine on an internet site then used the Reg. No. get into Renault parts system and order them. If the correct parts arrive (!) I will post the links on here.

Bafflers photoguide #http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=114946# was most helpful as were assorted other threads.

Thanks for the advice guys, Em
Old May 30th, 2017, 18:02   #5
ilikewatch
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaK1 View Post
Tracked down the Renault part numbers for the throttle body seal and EGR gasket. Found an 02 plate Laguna with the F9Q2 engine on an internet site then used the Reg. No. get into Renault parts system and order them. If the correct parts arrive (!) I will post the links on here.
I have previously used these renault parts:

Metal EGR gasket (Renault part No. 8200080147)
Shut off throttle rubber gasket (Renault part No. 7701059142)

I found it cheapest to pick them up from the main dealer compared to buying online, mind you I only live a couple of miles away from them.
'18 (68) silver Volvo V40 T3 R Design
ilikewatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2017, 18:22   #6
EmmaK1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikewatch View Post
I have previously used these renault parts:

Metal EGR gasket (Renault part No. 8200080147)
Shut off throttle rubber gasket (Renault part No. 7701059142)

I found it cheapest to pick them up from the main dealer compared to buying online, mind you I only live a couple of miles away from them.
Hi,

Thank you. It is re-assuring to know I have ordered the right parts.

It would be a forty mile round trip in the Scimitar to collect the parts :-)) so it makes sense to have them posted.

KR, Em
Old Jun 1st, 2017, 13:10   #7
EmmaK1

Unhappy Parts suppliers!

So... I ordered the hose from procar.eu through ebay and the gaskets from Allparts at 2:30 p.m. on Tuesday and paid extra for delivery by UPS. The hose arrived at 09:45 yesterday morning.

This morning I started. Cleaned up the back of the block and the inlet manifold, the shut-off valve and the ERG valve. Cleaned all the pipes and checked for rub holes or splits. Fitted the new hose and re-assembled as much as I could. By midday still no sign of UPS.

UPS normally deliver around here by 10:00 a.m. so at 12:30 I checked my order online. "awaiting fulfillment"? Phoned Allparts. A young woman took my order number and after a couple of minutes she came back to me...

"The parts will be in this evening so you will get them tomorrow." "What! You mean you don't have them in stock?" "Well not exactly. They are on the way from our suppliers and we'll get them out to you tonight." "So you take my order knowing you don't have the parts in stock and accept extra payment from me for quick delivery. Thats not very good is it?" "I'm sorry. We'll get the parts off to you tonight and you will have them tomorrow."

I'm glad I don't have her job!

Maybe I should have driven the Scimitar in the sunshine to the Renault dealer. :-)

So now I either leave the car until the parts arrive; or re-use the leaking ring seal and now damaged ERG gasket then replace them when the parts do arrive. If I do at least the ERG will be easy to get out!

Last edited by EmmaK1; Jun 1st, 2017 at 13:17. Reason: Error