Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

OBD2 reader compatible with MY19 XC60?

Views : 10388

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 07:52   #11
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaby View Post
I also have an ELM based device, the same as in the link of #3. I use it with Torque Pro on a Samsung smartphone, it works with our 12 years
ols and with the MY2018 XC90: https://torque-bhp.com/wiki/Main_Page
Of course it only shows generic (EMS) parameters and codes.
Will also read manufacturer specific powertrain codes, but will not necessarily provide an explanation (however these can usually be Googled). Powertrain sensor values can also be accessed (the Car Scanner app can even access VEA DPF pressure and temperature sensors, plus oil level sensor value when properly set up, along with most engine sensor data).
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 08:44   #12
Pipps

Looks like a resounding commendation for the Bluetooth ELM327 readers. I will order one on ebay now and report back on whether it works. Very wise to keep it in the car at all times. Thanks for the advice.
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 09:26   #13
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Volvo don't have everything stitched up because OBDII is a legal requirement across all manufacturers.
I use it on my 17 year old car, my much newer BMW motorcycle and it's still applicable to the fanciest of new cars.
This means that even the cheapest £4 ELM327 dongles should work once connected to a free app on your phone.

OBDII is only for engine and auto transmission codes though so don't expect the detail which can be obtained from using Dice and Vida..... Not that Dice and Vida would be of any use to anyone in this section as all SPA platform cars use a dealer only online version of Volvo's diagnostics software.
OBD11 is a requirement on all cars now and most readers will work on the older Volvo's but I have yet to find one that is compatable with the new spa cars, they do not work on Land Rover TD5 engined models either, I have been after one which can back off the electric parking brake and reset it after pads are changed, I can get one for nearly every other make or older Volvo's but none work with the new Volvo's. Reports of ELM reader giving data readings may be on older Volvo's but for the small price its worth buying to try but other than data it has limited use, I have one on order to try it out but still searching for a real diagnostic reader compatable with spa models that can read and clear codes and reset engine light and work electric parking brake which are common for most other makes of car.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 10:18   #14
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
OBD11 is a requirement on all cars now and most readers will work on the older Volvo's but I have yet to find one that is compatable with the new spa cars, they do not work on Land Rover TD5 engined models either, I have been after one which can back off the electric parking brake and reset it after pads are changed, I can get one for nearly every other make or older Volvo's but none work with the new Volvo's. Reports of ELM reader giving data readings may be on older Volvo's but for the small price its worth buying to try but other than data it has limited use, I have one on order to try it out but still searching for a real diagnostic reader compatable with spa models that can read and clear codes and reset engine light and work electric parking brake which are common for most other makes of car.
Surely if you're sufficiently skilled and confident enough to replace brake pads then you'd find it a relatively simple task to either unscrew the caliper motor or manually apply a battery to operate the motor? More info here, hopefully it also applies to your model... https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=206272
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 10:57   #15
gaby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
Will also read manufacturer specific powertrain codes, but will not necessarily provide an explanation (however these can usually be Googled).
You are right about about showing the code.
Possibly some interfaces won't talk to some cars because they are incompatible
with the OBD flavor.
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 11:03   #16
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaby View Post
You are right about about showing the code.
Possibly some interfaces won't talk to some cars because they are incompatible
with the OBD flavor.
Weirdly, my relatively expensive D900 standalone OBD2 scanner will not work with all cars (even more weird when it worked with my Honda Accord but not the neighbour's similar vintage Civic). I don't think everyone properly abides by the standard, even though it is a well-defined vehicle requirement.

However I have never failed to read codes on any vehicle using the ELM327. Yet!
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 11:08   #17
MaDProFF
Master Member

Just out of curiosity why not take it to a Dealer, it is still under warranty if you bought it new or not?
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 11:15   #18
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
Surely if you're sufficiently skilled and confident enough to replace brake pads then you'd find it a relatively simple task to either unscrew the caliper motor or manually apply a battery to operate the motor? More info here, hopefully it also applies to your model... https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=206272
I am all ready very well aware how to do this thanks, and more than skilled enough to do it, (after all I own a Land Rover Defender) you have to be competent to own one of them. But I would like a compatable OBD11tool for my XC90 spa model.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 11:35   #19
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
OBD11 is a requirement on all cars now and most readers will work on the older Volvo's but I have yet to find one that is compatable with the new spa cars, they do not work on Land Rover TD5 engined models either, I have been after one which can back off the electric parking brake and reset it after pads are changed
As I mentioned earlier, OBDII rules relate to ECM and TCM so don't relate to parking brakes which Volvo have in the BCM (logically).

Volvo are perfectly entitled to occult that data which is what they appear to have done successfully along with every other 20+ modules on the SPA platform.

The vastly fewer numbers of Volvos will be a factor also as it's not worth anyone's time and effort to crack codes that will have little demand from consumers.
When enough SPA owners are clamouring for equipment, the situation will change but don't expect it anytime soon.

You still barely hear of any quantity of meaningful DIY being carried on these cars.
Old Aug 27th, 2019, 21:35   #20
Pipps

Received today the ELM327 Bluetooth OBD dongle exactly as pictured.

Tried a dozen Android apps, including paid-for Torque pro, but nothing can read the XC60 (MY19) ECU.

Can anyone recommend an app or laptop programme to make this work?