Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Beating Brexit Day - 31 Oct 2019

Views : 5243

Replies : 62

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 13:58   #31
Sceptre123

When I bought my XC60 in June I had to sign a document which allowed them to change the price as they wished due to Brexit. I only had 8 days between order and delivery as the car was in stock... so largely irrelevant to me

I think it’s legal, I think it’s standard and i think it’s a risk. Not a risk that would stop me buying a car as residuals would go up too!
Sceptre123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2019, 21:33   #32
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
And those unhealthy snowflakes who die from medicine shortages are just collateral damage.
3 years, it’s long enough. The rulers dont want to carry out the will of the people hence vote everything down, call for second referendums and generally frustrate the process.

A deal to BUY and PAY for drugs does not require 3 years, it simply requires people to do what they are paid to do.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 24th, 2019, 21:48   #33
mpeng82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sceptre123 View Post
When I bought my XC60 in June I had to sign a document which allowed them to change the price as they wished due to Brexit. I only had 8 days between order and delivery as the car was in stock... so largely irrelevant to me

I think it’s legal, I think it’s standard and i think it’s a risk. Not a risk that would stop me buying a car as residuals would go up too!
I would be very surprised if a dealer passed on any costs to the consumer, however i am not an expert.

Strangely i purchased my car on 13th July and informed it would be a factory build. I signed the relevant invoice and estimated delivery.

Apart from the invoice and receipt of deposit i was not given anything further. No T&C's and certainly no information about future costs due to "brexit" was even communicated.

At present my delivery date is 3rd October which can't come soon enough.
mpeng82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2019, 22:22   #34
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
3 years, it’s long enough. The rulers dont want to carry out the will of the people hence vote everything down, call for second referendums and generally frustrate the process.

A deal to BUY and PAY for drugs does not require 3 years, it simply requires people to do what they are paid to do.
Whatever...
Old Aug 25th, 2019, 00:56   #35
MattDell

This is not a politics forum. Please stay on topic regarding the payment of import duty post-Brexit.
MattDell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MattDell For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 26th, 2019, 12:10   #36
jonnyu

Q1. If I were to order a new Volvo XC90 today, would it arrive before Brexit?
A: Depends on what your dealer is saying.

Q2. If it arrives after Brexit, then I might have to pay an Import Surcharge. I believe this charge is highly likely under 'No Deal' to be 10%. Correct?
A: Yes.

Q3. I've been offered a cracking discount on a new XC90. That is, providing I order it very quickly. I've been told the expected delivery date is currently mid-October 2019. Can I believe this to be true? If it is true, then I would take delivery before Brexit and miss having to pay an Import Surcharge.
A: It largely depends on what engine are you ordering. If you are going for a T8, then it will arrive post-brexit. A B5 or something similar, it may arrive before Brexit.

Q4. There is always a risk that the vehicle delivery might be postponed/delayed until after Brexit, thereby possibly incurring me with a 10% Import Duty surcharge on the vehicle price. a. Should I risk placing an order? or b. Should I wait a while and miss the cracking discount? There is always a risk too, that the dealership who are giving me the cracking discount are actually telling me a lie about the anticipated Delivery Date. After all, they are 'car dealers'!
A1: Brexit is full of uncertainty. What you have now is a discount deal with a possible risk of 10% increase of price. Nobody knows what will happen post-brexit. For me, if 10% is the maximum value they say the price will increase and there is a contract that protects you for a top 10% increase, then go for it.
A2: If you wait for after Brexit, you might end up waiting for many months for a car delivery. One of the issues regarding a hard-brexit is how will the imports be handled from Europe from now on, assuming your car will come from Europe. Delays of goods at the borders will be a sure thing.

Q5. What do you understand the current expected Delivery Date to be for a Volvo XC90 ?
A: Depends on the country and dealer.
Old Aug 26th, 2019, 21:03   #37
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyu View Post
Q1. If I were to order a new Volvo XC90 today, would it arrive before Brexit?
A: Depends on what your dealer is saying.

Q2. If it arrives after Brexit, then I might have to pay an Import Surcharge. I believe this charge is highly likely under 'No Deal' to be 10%. Correct?
A: Yes.

Q3. I've been offered a cracking discount on a new XC90. That is, providing I order it very quickly. I've been told the expected delivery date is currently mid-October 2019. Can I believe this to be true? If it is true, then I would take delivery before Brexit and miss having to pay an Import Surcharge.
A: It largely depends on what engine are you ordering. If you are going for a T8, then it will arrive post-brexit. A B5 or something similar, it may arrive before Brexit.

Q4. There is always a risk that the vehicle delivery might be postponed/delayed until after Brexit, thereby possibly incurring me with a 10% Import Duty surcharge on the vehicle price. a. Should I risk placing an order? or b. Should I wait a while and miss the cracking discount? There is always a risk too, that the dealership who are giving me the cracking discount are actually telling me a lie about the anticipated Delivery Date. After all, they are 'car dealers'!
A1: Brexit is full of uncertainty. What you have now is a discount deal with a possible risk of 10% increase of price. Nobody knows what will happen post-brexit. For me, if 10% is the maximum value they say the price will increase and there is a contract that protects you for a top 10% increase, then go for it.
A2: If you wait for after Brexit, you might end up waiting for many months for a car delivery. One of the issues regarding a hard-brexit is how will the imports be handled from Europe from now on, assuming your car will come from Europe. Delays of goods at the borders will be a sure thing.

Q5. What do you understand the current expected Delivery Date to be for a Volvo XC90 ?
A: Depends on the country and dealer.
‘Delays if goods at the borders will be a sure thing’.
No it won’t. #project fear.
Old Aug 26th, 2019, 21:14   #38
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
You are Nigel Farage and I claim my five pounds!
Old Aug 26th, 2019, 23:26   #39
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Even the most hardened of Leavers agree that there will be some disruption. Whether you think it is a good idea leaving or not, delays of some sort for some period of time at the border are widely accepted as inevitable.

To say there will definitely not be any delays at the border - and that saying there will be is project fear - is an opinion right on the very tail of the normal distribution curve.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Philip Fisher For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 26th, 2019, 23:45   #40
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
Even the most hardened of Leavers agree that there will be some disruption. Whether you think it is a good idea leaving or not, delays of some sort for some period of time at the border are widely accepted as inevitable.

To say there will definitely not be any delays at the border - and that saying there will be is project fear - is an opinion right on the very tail of the normal distribution curve.
No. The original poster said it’s a given. I disagree it’s a ‘given’. It’s a possibility and no one should claim otherwise as no one knows.