Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

T8 towing

Views : 1235

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 15th, 2019, 23:09   #1
dling

Default T8 towing

Hi forum,
Do any of you have any experience or knowledge of towing with a T8?
Was wondering if there is anything special that I should account for. I already towed few hundred kilometers when I bought my caravan and now I am getting ready for my holiday. Beside setting the suspension to dynamic (according to the manual) I kept everything in default. When the battery is full I can even tow fully electric up to about 50km/h (2000 kg caravan )

Thanks for any advice
dling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2019, 11:10   #2
Ratkat

Lots of money and plan your file stops!

I am currently in the South of France having towed 1100 miles down here and averaged just over 16mpg, filling up on the motorways at €1.76 a litre hurts like hell. The biggest issue is that the car has no idea what gear to stay in, it stays in third or fourth most of the time, even when I shift up on the paddle about 20 seconds later it reverts to automatic again and drops down.

I have a large caravan but the car clearly isn’t cut out for towing, I did the same journey previous years in an X5 and then Range Rover Sport and the journey was far better in them.
Old Aug 16th, 2019, 11:17   #3
Ratkat

Lots of money and plan your fuel stops!

I am currently in the South of France having towed 1100 miles down here and averaged just over 16mpg, filling up on the motorways at €1.76 a litre hurts like hell. The biggest issue is that the car has no idea what gear to stay in, it stays in third or fourth most of the time, even when I shift up on the paddle about 20 seconds later it reverts to automatic again and drops down.

I have a large caravan but the car clearly isn’t cut out for towing, I did the same journey previous years in an X5 and then Range Rover Sport and the journey was far better in them.
Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 11:03   #4
Ratkat

On our way back up from the south now, did 224 miles yesterday and averaged 15.1 mpg
Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 11:40   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratkat View Post
On our way back up from the south now, did 224 miles yesterday and averaged 15.1 mpg
spend £60000 on a car and worry about temporary fuel costs ? you weren't hanging around either i bet .. stick to 50 mph and all will be a lot better .

Surely a Range Rover Sport and an X5 wouldn't do better mpg ?
Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 12:08   #6
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
spend £60000 on a car and worry about temporary fuel costs ? you weren't hanging around either i bet .. stick to 50 mph and all will be a lot better .

Surely a Range Rover Sport and an X5 wouldn't do better mpg ?
A few assumptions there maybe, what makes you think they weren't hanging around?

If I had to put my money on it, I'd guess a similarly aged RR or X5 could potentially return better fuel economy while towing, particularly if they were 6-cylinder variants. Ultimately, the T8 is efficient in a relatively narrow band or driving situations and journey lengths, after that you're carrying round a bank of largely flat batteries with a 2 litre 4 pot engine, which is going to have to work hard to pull a caravan. I feel in this situation there is no replacement for displacement.

:wq
Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 12:27   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post
A few assumptions there maybe, what makes you think they weren't hanging around?

If I had to put my money on it, I'd guess a similarly aged RR or X5 could potentially return better fuel economy while towing, particularly if they were 6-cylinder variants. Ultimately, the T8 is efficient in a relatively narrow band or driving situations and journey lengths, after that you're carrying round a bank of largely flat batteries with a 2 litre 4 pot engine, which is going to have to work hard to pull a caravan. I feel in this situation there is no replacement for displacement.

:wq
I cant imagine you doing 50 mph on the motorway :-) over 60 even without a caravan the wind resistance builds up massively , even though when driving it , it feels like there is no wind resistance at all .

Yes any hybrid is useless on the motorway even without a caravan .. i guess you buy the car to suit your everyday needs , hopefully when you get home you can benefit from a lot more electric power . No lack of power and torque from a supercharged and turbocharged 320 + bhp ( with empty batteries ) car ... it should match a lot of V8 engines ..
Old Aug 27th, 2019, 16:56   #8
dling

Hi guys,

I’m back from the trip and switched my VOC app to imperial, so I can report here

In total I had three trips, about 170 miles each. The consumption was about 25 mpg. Each trip I started with a full battery. The majority of the miles were done on highway at legal speed (50 mph).

I guess the results are as expected. The only problem I had with the car was that I had to always use the speed limiter.... otherwise I would have reached 130 km/h without even noticing

L.E. We were two adults in the car with less than 40 kg baggage and the caravan weight was a bit below 1850... maybe this justifies the higher mpg compared to ratkat’s

Last edited by dling; Aug 27th, 2019 at 18:09.
dling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2019, 13:12   #9
nu11eaf
Premier Member

25mpg is the best I have acheived in my XC90 D5 power pulse towing 1500kg 2 adults + two 11/12 year olds, but being three females they packed everything for every occasion. Plus wine lager and gallons and gallons of drinking water.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote