Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Recommended Garage (East London)

Views : 897

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 14:33   #11
ktz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugjam1999 View Post
Ok, how I fixed my headlights after stripping the plastic and then cutting out the seized bolts - the pictures tell the story but the assembly is:

an m6 bolt (same size as original, but longer)
a butterfly nut on the bolthead end
followed by a normal nut
I think I've got it! So the butterfly goes on before you put the bolt in, then you cover it all with epoxy and bolt it into the car to let the epoxy dry, then take it out to fit everything?

Out of curiosity, did you need two tubes of quicksteel or did the one suffice?

Also, you mentioned the clips, did you mean the white brittle plastic ones that clips the reflector to the casing or the rusted brittle metals one that clip the headlamp glass on? (I need all of them...my glass clips are in bad shape).

In any case I will hunt on ebay.
ktz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 19:44   #12
Bugjam1999
Master Member

Nearly-Assemble three bolts as my photo in my post above, all of that goes on the inside of the headlight bowl and then another washer and nut goes on the outside.

So for each bolt- spin a butterfly nut on as far as you can, note that it’s backwards to the way you’d expect to put it on. Then put a nut on up against the butterfly nut and tighten them against each other. That plain nut you put on second goes into the recess in the headlight bowl where the original Volvo bolt head was.

Then on the outside there’s a washer and then another nut.

So for each assembly you need 1 bolt, 1 butterfly nut, 2 plain nuts and 1 washer.

I used about half a tube of quicksteel I think.

I meant the white plastic clips:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F283347872202

Both the plastic clips and the metal clips are available from Volvo. You might be able to get the metal clips from a breaker but they’ll probably want to sell you a complete headlight unit.

Cheers
Bugjam1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bugjam1999 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 20:20   #13
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

That repair is impressive.

In this instance, how mucch is a complete used headlight compared to only the lens?

Too late now yes I know, but.....I soaked the headlight securing nuts in PlusGas daily for some days, well over a long period actually because I had the time. And they undid easily. It is I think making part of servicing to apply penetrating oil to those nuts.

And, yes, use grease when assembling. Copper based grease on mine now.

If working on the headlights, probably bst to change both reflectors. And so far as I can see Charlton lits are complete with the both white plastic anchorage clips and the metal clips. Mine were, from Charlton a couple of years ago.

Be prepared for at least some metal clips to fly off in directions.

There are two additional metal clips, one per headlight. They are the headlight wiper stop fitments. They are worth some anti-rust treatment while doing the job.

I found new reflectors transformed the headlight performance for the better.

Enjoy the job.

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Aug 22nd, 2019 at 20:24.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 20:17   #14
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Default Typo and other gremlin. :)

I meant to say:

And so far as I can see Charlton REFLECTOR KITS are complete with both THE white plastic anchorage clips and the metal clips. MY REFLECTOR KITS were COMPLETE WITH BOTH TYPES OF CLIP, from Charlton a couple of years ago.

Old Sep 2nd, 2019, 00:18   #15
ktz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
I meant to say:

And so far as I can see Charlton REFLECTOR KITS are complete with both THE white plastic anchorage clips and the metal clips. MY REFLECTOR KITS were COMPLETE WITH BOTH TYPES OF CLIP, from Charlton a couple of years ago.

Ahh this is great, thanks for the advice. The little white clips were looking like £4 each or so and with all the rest of the bits, after shipping, I imagine it would have worked out just the same as buying the new reflector. I'll just buy the new Charlton one and carry out the bolt repair as per Bugjam's images.

Will let you know how it goes. Thank you all.
The Following User Says Thank You to ktz For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 2nd, 2019, 12:35   #16
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

I would suggest that you check with Charlton what they include in their kits now.

Enjoy the job.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 2nd, 2019, 12:38   #17
ktz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
I would suggest that you check with Charlton what they include in their kits now.

Yeah, they've got it all listed. Looks perfect:
https://www.charltonvolvocentre.co.u...-kit-1981-2535
Old Sep 5th, 2019, 23:38   #18
ktz

Sad news. The Charlton reflector arrived. The bolts arrive as well. I extracted the light awaiting the Quicksteel to arrive to complete the job and the car was stolen this afternoon.

Really ****, **** luck. To make it worse, there were lots of new parts inside that were waiting to be installed and now I can't even make any money back on those. The insurance ran out last week as a result of it being salvage coded and they wouldn't reinsure until that was fixed, so unless the police find it, I'm toast.

London feels so lawless right now.
Old Sep 8th, 2019, 11:56   #19
Bugjam1999
Master Member

Oh no! What awful news- was it found?

I know what you mean, I’m glad I don’t keep my car in London.

Cheers
Bugjam1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 13:41   #20
ktz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugjam1999 View Post
Oh no! What awful news- was it found?

I know what you mean, I’m glad I don’t keep my car in London.

Cheers
Nothing yet – not even a call back from the Met police :/ I can't imagine this one would be that tough to crack given the thief would have had to tow the car away (I disconnected the battery and it was out of petrol). Surely something CCTV could pick up on relatively easily, if only they would look before it is too late!

Tags
recommendations, volvo 240 gl