Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

pre 200k tlc

Views : 690

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 15th, 2018, 02:24   #1
Chuff

Default pre 200k tlc

I’m new to volvos and altogether inexperienced when it comes to diesels so please bear with.

I not too long ago became the proud owner of a 56 plate v70 d5, however after a few months of enjoying it thoroughly, a problem arose, the soot filter light came into my life. initially it wasnt too much of an issue and would only pop up after a week or so of town driving, in response to which i would take it out down the motorway for an hour and feel like that bloke at the end of shawshank redemption.

this was not to last however, now it seems no matter how long i take it for a high rev run the soot filter will trigger the limp mode when i dare stray above 2.5k

would i be right in thinking that the removal of the dpf filter (albeit dodgy) will require a remap? how would said remapper be likely to respond if i told him this needed to be taken into account? im told that remappers are fine with egr deletions as they are commonplace (which i am also considering, dirty air in my veteran engine? )

in the event that it was remapped, would the installation of a shiny new dpf for the purpose of testing (and afterwards be mounted on some hooks in the shed until it’s next annual outing) be detrimental to the running of the car enough to raise suspicions?

i hope you can appreciate that i am a family man just trying to keep the bills at bay and any suggestions as to how to defeat the dpf beast are more than welcome.
Chuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 07:15   #2
green van man
Premier Member

I don't know as I so far have had no problem with my dpf.

I know there are preasure sensors before and after the dpf and it is the difference in readings that triggers the warning.I
Are you sure it's the dpf not the sensors.
A session on VIDA would possibly save you a lot of money identifying the faults.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 11:41   #3
Tatsfield
Premier Member

In the past with cars with under developed DPF systems, I'd have agreed that removing something that caused more problems than it solved would be a good idea and the increased power would be nice to have. But today Volvo's DPF system is well designed and removing it is going to give you a lot more problems than having it put right. Testing these days is brutal against diesels which have become a political whipping boy for past government anti pollution inadequacies. Best to find out exactly what the problem is by testing with VIDA/DiCE. If you are technically inclined, buy one of your own and run it on a cheap old Win7 compatible laptop like the bullet proof ThinkPad. You can probably put a VIDA diagnostics laptop kit together for less than £100 on ebay. It will tell you everything about your cars testable condition and even if you don't intend to do the work yourself, you will be armed with knowledge when you take it to a garage.
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 11:49   #4
Peter86
Pete

I would try diagnostics first also.
See if you can have a forced regen on the dpf also if cheap enough.
At that mileage it may have had its time especially if previous owners have done a lot of town driving and its never had time to clear out properly on long runs.

As for your question no you don't have to have a remap with a dpf delete but if your mot pick up anything suspicious about your dpf it will be failed. Personally I would keep the dpf if it were my car.
If your car is hitting 200k I wouldn't have a remap as it may put extra strain on the already worn clutch plus the engine/gearbox may not like the extra power at that age or mileage. I'm on my second D5 now and both have been fantastic engines without remaps. If I ever remap my new one it will be a polestar one.

2011 V70 D5 [215] Rdesign - currently owned.

Peter86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 13:54   #5
Chuff

my uncle says he has a vol-FCR reader for his previous generation v70 petrol, would this suffice?
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 16:34   #6
V70Zig
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuff View Post
my uncle says he has a vol-FCR reader for his previous generation v70 petrol, would this suffice?
No, I believe you will need Vida Dice....and I think you may be posting in the wrong section...this one is for 07 upwards, but yours might just creep in.

Also check out your user cp..top left and add your car details to your signature

Passed away - 1999 V70 2.5tdi Auto 340632 miles, RIP.
V70Zig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 19:10   #7
Chuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by V70Zig View Post
No, I believe you will need Vida Dice....and I think you may be posting in the wrong section...this one is for 07 upwards, but yours might just creep in.

Also check out your user cp..top left and add your car details to your signature
ah thats embarrassing, i have an excuse, i did create this thread at nearly 2 in the morning haha

if a mod fancies popping the thread in the right subforum that would be greatly appreciated
Old Aug 16th, 2018, 17:52   #8
tommyweaves
Premier Member

When you get to the right forum section for your car, do a search on dpf. I'm sorry to say it doesn't make good reading. I've yet to see a definitive answer/fix/cure. Your car (assuming it's a 185 EuroIV) at 200k is a prime candidate. Sorry!
tommyweaves is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dpf, egr, remap, v70