Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 windscreen cracked strangely

Views : 1016

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 3rd, 2018, 18:56   #1
Robinhoodguy

Default V70 windscreen cracked strangely

Hello all

Noticed today that the windscreen on my v70 has cracked nearly around the top around the rear view mirror. Will try and upload a pic

Any ideas why it’s done this?

Paul
Robinhoodguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2018, 19:08   #2
Robinhoodguy

Robinhoodguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2018, 20:01   #3
The vast minority

Crikey!
Well, obviously that area with the black backing gets extremely hot in the sun, a sudden application of very cold liquid "water" can cause exact crack lines in heated glass. This is a process used in glass vessel making in fact to make neat breaks.

My view if I was shown that and asked what caused it would be very very hot from direct sun followed by immediate cooling from cold water. Of course, the glass is supposed to be properly tempered so this doesn't happen but that would by my guess.

Either way, its bloody crap and if its an OEM screen i'd be talking to Volvo about it.

Good luck.
The vast minority is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2018, 23:15   #4
Thommykent

Actually windshield glass is Laminated not Tempered like side and back glass is. Big difference. Interesting break none the less.
Thommykent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thommykent For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 4th, 2018, 13:08   #5
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

The adhesive that holds the window in place along the top is notorious for failing. My money is on it failing to the left and right of the crack. This would have left only a small section of adhesive intact and not enough to hold it all together when you hit the first bump you came across.

Click here for my x40 and V70 P3 repair guides
pierremcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2018, 13:52   #6
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Most claims against Volvo for inadequately sealed screens are initiated because of water leakage but if your screen is poorly sealed along the top edge, it is down to Volvo and the cracking should not be allowed to deflect their liability for a brand new screen. The cracking may very well be caused by the poor sealing but you need to go after them for the poor sealing and not allow them to say that the written off glass is not down to them.
Old Jul 12th, 2018, 23:22   #7
GrahamHR

Coincidentally (perhaps) my 2016 registered V60 Polestar has just experienced the same issue. Not the same shape crack, but for sure origination in the black central section. No sign whatsoever on the screen of any impact damage. OK on 1st July when it was last washed, cracked by the time I next used it on the 6th July ( both recorded on the dashcam !). In that time the (black) car had just sat in the drive in the sun and experienced very high temperatures.

I expect a battle will ensue with Volvo UK, I'll get my insurance company involved early on to cover my back. Let me know how you get on, as I will.
GrahamHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2018, 23:24   #8
GrahamHR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamHR View Post
Coincidentally (perhaps) my 2016 registered V60 Polestar has just experienced the same issue. Not the same shape crack, but for sure origination in the black central section. No sign whatsoever on the screen of any impact damage. OK on 1st July when it was last washed, cracked by the time I next used it on the 6th July ( both recorded on the dashcam !). In that time the (black) car had just sat in the drive in the sun and experienced very high temperatures.

I expect a battle will ensue with Volvo UK, I'll get my insurance company involved early on to cover my back. Let me know how you get on, as I will.
Update; there was the tiniest chip you could imagine along the path of the crack. I mean tiny, less than 2 mm across. Enough for Volvo to deny it was their responsibility. I had much bigger chips in the screen of my 2006 Mondeo, never a crack until I sold it in 2016.

The day I took it in, turned out Volvo couldn't change the screen themselves anyhow, they used Autoglass but I was told the car had to be taken back for sensor recalibration. So , I got it done at home turned out Autoglass could do the calibration as well

For me, if there is a front screen issue, don't waste half a day going to a Volvo dealer; just pay the excess on the glass insurance.
GrahamHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2018, 09:38   #9
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamHR View Post
Update; there was the tiniest chip you could imagine along the path of the crack. I mean tiny, less than 2 mm across. Enough for Volvo to deny it was their responsibility. I had much bigger chips in the screen of my 2006 Mondeo, never a crack until I sold it in 2016.

The day I took it in, turned out Volvo couldn't change the screen themselves anyhow, they used Autoglass but I was told the car had to be taken back for sensor recalibration. So , I got it done at home turned out Autoglass could do the calibration as well

For me, if there is a front screen issue, don't waste half a day going to a Volvo dealer; just pay the excess on the glass insurance.
Who would of thought volvo would find a minute chip so that they could deny responsibility. Prehaps when you next pick up your car from service and find the driver seat in a differing position, as I regularly do, you could deny responsibility for the service bill as the car is not as was.

Like you I would not bother trying the dealer but go to insurance company, it just annoys me that you spend multiple thousands with them and when it's their turn to pay the weaseling starts.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote