Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How long do (petrol) turbos last?

Views : 1726

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 20th, 2018, 11:15   #21
Whyman
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyV7o View Post
The people who bought them might possibly have a different story though!
Good point but we did regularly run them up to 150k and more with no problems so in normal use they should be fine.
Old Aug 20th, 2018, 11:40   #22
Welton
Premier Member

I've had my T5 for nearly 10 years and 80,000 miles with a high-quality oil change once a year with no problems at all, the turbo has never been a concern. If I've been driving hard I will let the car idle a bit but as Clan says by the time you've got home and parked you've already ran the turbo right down! you'd have to have your driveway at the side of a busy dual carriageway for this to ever be a problem.

I also own the dreaded PSA DV6 engine, have put 35K miles on it, granted it only has 60K on the clock but I change the oil every 6 months, the turbo is fine.

The key thing is sympathetic usage and reliable oil changes.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2018, 11:55   #23
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Nothing more to add to previous posts that hasnt been said. If you take care of your engine, it will take care of you. I never switched off the engine before letting it idle for alteast 10 sec, no matter if I crawled in the traffic or went off straight from motorway. And especially after heavy driving I let it cool for like a minute or so. Turbo still works the same way as always have so by switching the engine you are switching off the oil flow. By this logic you cant hurt the turbo by letting engine idle for a while, but you CAN doing otherwise.

BTW Its said that T5 engines are bulletproof and it will be the last thing working when rest of the car (with FoMoCo parts) gives up but its only applicable when you take care of it.
Old Aug 20th, 2018, 12:42   #24
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
BTW Its said that T5 engines are bulletproof and it will be the last thing working when rest of the car (with FoMoCo parts) gives up but its only applicable when you take care of it.
Assuming your liners don't split first Still a very real and known problem on these engines. I'd say the old 2.3 T5's are the ones that'll keep on going with only head gaskets breaking down as the miles go up.
Old Aug 20th, 2018, 13:31   #25
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMelon View Post
Assuming your liners don't split first Still a very real and known problem on these engines. I'd say the old 2.3 T5's are the ones that'll keep on going with only head gaskets breaking down as the miles go up.
Ah, true that. Forgot about that "lil issue" :/
Still, that engine is probably most reliable thing off the whole Ford-ish car
Old Aug 20th, 2018, 13:54   #26
Welton
Premier Member

I thought split liners only became a problem when you boost the power too much?

Or have I now got something else to worry about?
Old Aug 20th, 2018, 14:26   #27
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welton View Post
I thought split liners only became a problem when you boost the power too much?

Or have I now got something else to worry about?
Nope, split liners can (and does) happen on standard cars. Increasing the power does increase your chances of it happening though.

My uncle at Volvo saw it recently on a V50 T5 that was on 76k. Unfortunately the owner elsewhere, had spent a considerable amount of money replacing fuelling/ignition bits before giving up and taking it to Volvo where they did a quick compression test to confirm.

Some people can go their whole ownership without it happening, so it's more a case of 'if' rather than 'when' your liners split, but it is a problem.

The later 2008+ T5's with 230bhp compared to 220hp had their liners coated in a special material to help prevent it.

Tim Williams and Dreamscience just shim the liners with a piece of metal. The the shim itself costs a few quid, it's the head gasket/new cambelt kit + days labour that makes it an expensive job.

Last edited by FunkyMelon; Aug 20th, 2018 at 16:13. Reason: Typo
FunkyMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2018, 17:31   #28
Welton
Premier Member

I didn't know that, I know there's not that many T5's on here but I can't recall any issues with the liners here in the last 9 years of membership.

It would be interesting to know the true cause although I suspect running on 95RON unleaded won't help matters. I do know that the 2.5 is a 'compact' T5 so perhaps a weakness was always a risk in the design, fingers crossed for mine though, gees if that happened I may as well scrap the thing
Old Aug 20th, 2018, 22:35   #29
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welton View Post
I didn't know that, I know there's not that many T5's on here but I can't recall any issues with the liners here in the last 9 years of membership.

It would be interesting to know the true cause although I suspect running on 95RON unleaded won't help matters. I do know that the 2.5 is a 'compact' T5 so perhaps a weakness was always a risk in the design, fingers crossed for mine though, gees if that happened I may as well scrap the thing

It happens because the original T5 was a 2.3 and had thicker cylinder walls as a result and no thin coolant jack between the cylinders. When it was bored out to 2.5 they became much thinner as a result.

Google images of both engines cracked open and you'll see why they're prone to cracking.
Old Aug 21st, 2018, 11:03   #30
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMelon View Post
Google images of both engines cracked open and you'll see why they're prone to cracking.
I was tempted to do it for a while but decided against... (kinda like cover your ears and start humming when someone tries to tell you something important) :P

Welton - what do you mean regarding 95 octane? Didnt quite get it, 95 is good or bad in that sentence?