Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Left foot braking.

Views : 4069

Replies : 76

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 24th, 2018, 13:03   #21
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookie View Post
Those Volvo drivers who have automatic transmissions, how many of you brake with the left foot?

Salut!

Pookie
all the time , you have two pedals and two feet !

Using your left foot for braking considerably helps with safety . I hover my left foot over the brake in tricky situations which saves valuable time if you need to stop quickly .
Old Mar 24th, 2018, 15:42   #22
OV4

On my old automatic transmission car yes, I left foot brake , as it has a lumpy idle and tends to stall unless the accelerator is depressed slightly.
OV4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OV4 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 24th, 2018, 21:00   #23
Father Ted
Master Member

As a mad, dangerous so and so in my youth, I learnt to left foot brake in a manual in order to keep revs up. Funny, once past the stage of headbutting the steering wheel, it's a skill which stays with you.

I only ever use it these days when maneouvering the caravan. Means I don't have to worry about a sudden spurt of power with only 10mm left of space!
(I could use the motor mover, but that would be an admission of defeat!).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Father Ted For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 25th, 2018, 09:12   #24
Dippydog
Premier Member

Must admit I left foot brake quite a lot in the Omega as I did in the Senators and XJ I used to have.I've never come close to head butting the screen or anything like it finding I can brake just as smoothly as I can with my right foot.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 25th, 2018, 11:09   #25
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

I am full of admiration for those who left-foot brake with confidence and safety. Those that do would appear to either come from a motor-sport background or drive 4 X 4 vehicles.

For those of us who, like me, have little or no experience in such things, I feel that it could be unwise, and possibly less safe in day to day driving.

As has been previously mentioned, braking, especially in an emergency situation, needs to be instinctive. Unless one is very, very skilled and experienced in the art, and I accept that there are some who are, I do not think that would be so in my case - I'd lose rather than save vital seconds.

Regards, John.
Old Mar 25th, 2018, 12:07   #26
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

Location: A place in mendip-land famous for its cheese - and its gorge

Because I've had to drive so many different variations of vehicles over very many years, I'm comfortable with either left foot or right foot braking in my auto. Just use whichever I feel like at the time.

Though when I had three pedals down there on the floor, never left foot braked because I knew I would probably need to use the clutch.

Our children don't inherit the world from us. We are borrowing it from them.
christheancient is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to christheancient For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 25th, 2018, 12:12   #27
iain cooper

in my opinion left-foot braking is pointless, and in some situations dangerous in normal road conditions.

only useful in motorsport especially rally driving.

Iain
Old Mar 25th, 2018, 14:42   #28
Dippydog
Premier Member

No motorsport background here,nor do I claim to be some sort of driving god,I don't however see how it could be dangerous[but willing to be proved wrong]it just seems to be something I find easy to do,perhaps being a natural southpaw has a bearing?When I swap into the V70 which has more pedals than I've got feet I've never been caught out trying to left foot brake in it,I just seem to adapt to whichever car I'm using at the time.Although having said that when I first bought the V70 I did nearly stall it on the drive home because I forgot to depress the clutch pedal when coming to a halt at a roundabout.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 25th, 2018, 19:12   #29
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Having always owned manual cars (with the exception of a tatty 850 Auto for about 9 months) I'm generally in the habit of using my left foot for the clutch, and that's either up or down with very little finesse when putting it down, so using my left foot on the brake means some stupidly sharp braking (which is possibly where some people get the 'dangerous' feeling). So no left foot braking when driving down the road for me. For 'balance' when cornering I prefer to drop a gear and then use the throttle to control power or braking from the engine.
But in a truck I've used a variety of transmissions and with some of them the best maneuvering technique was to apply light braking with the left foot to hold the truck, and then use the throttle to drive the vehicle against the brake.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2018, 20:48   #30
TheLeeds

Had to do it in an old V12 jag while the engine was warming up, otherwise it would stall, due to a faulty AAV (cold start thing to raise the revs a little while engine cold).

Was also fun to wind the torque converter up at traffic lights, for those fast getaways. (in 'D', stand on the brake, gradually push the throttle down, then floor it and come off the brake when the lights go amber.)