Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2011 XC90 R Design

Views : 1556

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 30th, 2018, 20:14   #1
clurgy

Default 2011 XC90 R Design

Evening people, im new to the volvo forum so a big hello to everyone, i have just purchased a 2011 XC90 R Design auto, its a one owner from new (company owned) with 127k full volvo service history, the engine is as sweet as a nut but i did notice when taking off it seemed to rev quite high in first gear and changed gear quite smoothly through the remaining 5 gears and also nice and smooth into reverse, my question is is this normal for these vehicles as i test drove an executive with only 90k and to be honest it drove like a pig on roller blades but the same high revs in first. As this has high miles i intend to service the gearbox by way off a complete oil flush and change of filter etc, it would be much appreciated for any factual advice (sorry for the bluntness) and recommendations as to best course of action, cheers in advance

Last edited by clurgy; Jul 30th, 2018 at 20:16.
clurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2018, 22:14   #2
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Mine is very smooth at 75k. I have not noticed the high Revs in first however will note it tomorow and see what it’s like. Be careful with the fluid change as everyone quotes a number (something like 3359) for the fluid. Yours won’t be that one as after 7 years Volvo changed the spec of oil (think it’s AS1).

Chris at Cafyns Volvo (ebay) works at main dealer and will be able to advise the correct spec. I don’t know Chris however I have bought lots of things from them without issue.

Lastly the box has a control module which alters the box charrcteristics as the fluid ages. Apparently junking oil worn oil and replacing with fresh has been known to cause problems, maybe best to change out couple of l, drive a thousand miles etc etc.

I don’t believe the box filter can be changed???
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2018, 23:08   #3
clurgy

cheers, i was thinking off performing the oil change then doing a relearn of the gearbox adaptions which im hoping shouldnt be a problem hence this post
Old Jul 31st, 2018, 07:47   #4
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clurgy View Post
cheers, i was thinking off performing the oil change then doing a relearn of the gearbox adaptions which im hoping shouldnt be a problem hence this post
I think if you do that it will be all sound, do you have the Volvo VIDA software? I purchased 12l of the fluid from Caffyns Volvo on eBay. When I start pulling the fluid out (I was going to undo drain, add a funnel with 4l to refil plug and discharge back end of box via return pipe cooler) I was going to look at my fluid. If at 75k it comes out smelling good and clean I was going to swap the lot. If it’s dark or smelly I was going to junk a couple l and refill then undertake the same operation each time I service the car . I will do at least oil changes every 6 months or 6,000 miles anyway as it has always stood me in good stead adopting this approach.
Old Jul 31st, 2018, 21:33   #5
clurgy

hi yes ive read a lot about high mileage autos not liking a complete oil change and people opting for the staggered change, what is the reason for this? can someone explain it to me in technical terms. logically i would have thought a gearbox flush to breakdown the sludge and condition o rings etc combined with fresh oil and relearn of adaptions would be the best thing to maintain the box
Old Jul 31st, 2018, 21:40   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clurgy View Post
hi yes ive read a lot about high mileage autos not liking a complete oil change and people opting for the staggered change, what is the reason for this? can someone explain it to me in technical terms. logically i would have thought a gearbox flush to breakdown the sludge and condition o rings etc combined with fresh oil and relearn of adaptions would be the best thing to maintain the box
It is all here-say and an old wives tale , have you actually heard from anyone with anything wrong after an oil change ? I've done hundreds over the last 40 years all filthy , they always ran smoother afterwards , do not forget to get the software updated that is probably just as important .
Old Jul 31st, 2018, 22:22   #7
clurgy

hi i completely agree and no i havent heard of anyone having problems as a direct result of a gearbox oil change, the reason for asking was just in case there was some abnormal Swedish chain reaction that sends it into meltdown, a bit like a junkie having a blood transfusion, there are machines that connect to the cooler pipes that draw the old oil out through one pipe and feed fresh oil in through the other a bit like dialysis but havent got round to find the nearest place that provides it, as well as improved lubrication its reported to improve mpg too
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 20:02   #8
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
It is all here-say and an old wives tale , have you actually heard from anyone with anything wrong after an oil change ? I've done hundreds over the last 40 years all filthy , they always ran smoother afterwards , do not forget to get the software updated that is probably just as important .
Clan, that’s some poor advice.

The automatic has a transmission control module TCM which monitors the conditions within the box and controls the shifts. Upon becoming aged the fluid properties change and TCM compensated for this.

Should the fluid change I.e from stuff degraded over 150,000 miles to fresh it is considered that the TCM could fail to function, that is why the VIDA software has a TCM reset.

I have read cases where the transmission has logged a fault. I am not too sure I would be too worried however given the simplicity why not dump half now and half the following week?

My XC90 has 75,000 miles on the clock and I am about to change the fluid. I shall do it in 1 go as I don’t consider 75k that high mileage
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 21:09   #9
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Clan is a Volvo master tech of many years standing.

His advise here is correct.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 21:50   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60D5-185 View Post
Clan is a Volvo master tech of many years standing.

His advise here is correct.
Thanks S60 D5 ..
regarding the oil and monitoring , There is no oil level or oil quality sensor in the gearbox , there is an oil service required message which Can pop up but in all my time I have never heard of , or seen this message , even with old cars with filthy oil . . I assume the conditions for it appearing must be calculated from engine load , oil temperature and rpm … of which none are reached in UK ..