Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 / XC70 buying advice

Views : 370

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 18th, 2018, 19:18   #1
145DL

Default V70 / XC70 buying advice

Hi All,

Ever since my childhood days of the family 145 DL (followed by a 245 DL) I have been hankering to get back to a "Volvo Estate". I could really do with some buying advice though please. I am currently between job roles which means no income which means I would like to keep maintenance bills to a minimum. Budget is around £3k to £5k; less would be a real bonus for the reason above but I equally don't want to buy something that needs a huge amount spending on it.

I appreciate that I am hunting at the lower end of the market and faults are going to be inevitable but from a reliability perspective, I understand the 2.4 D5 is pretty bullet proof and good on fuel. I am aware that condition, service history, cambelt changes are all key things to look for but.......

- Is there a particular model year I should go for / avoid?
- D5 163 or 185. Is one "better" than the other? I'd happily settle for the 163 if it's the better lump.
- Second generation (2000-2007) or Third Generation (2007-2016) - I am probably opening a can of worms here but which is generally the better car? Should I be trying to get into a 2007 onwards car if I can? Or is the 2nd gen the "better" vehicle?
- AWD - Sounds good. But are they complex and to be avoided? Is tyre wear an issue?
- Geartronic - Not read great things about this. Are they ok or troublesome?
- Auto would be preferred as I've not driven a manual for a fair few years. Are there any particular engine / auto gearbox configs to avoid? If I need to go manual because it's a much better car then I guess I will do it!

Here are two of the vehicles I am looking at:-
1) 2007 - Gen 2 VOLVO V70 2.4 D5 185 SPECIAL ED.SPORT G/T Estate 137k miles
2) 2008 - Gen 3 VOLVO V70 2.4 D5 185 SE LUX G/T Estate 120k miles

I guess what I am hoping for is for a pointer to say go for x model year, y engine and z gearbox as these seem to be the most bullet proof.

All replies welcome, thanks very much in advance!
145DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2018, 19:27   #2
luggsey
The truth is out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 145DL View Post
Hi All,

Ever since my childhood days of the family 145 DL (followed by a 245 DL) I have been hankering to get back to a "Volvo Estate". I could really do with some buying advice though please. I am currently between job roles which means no income which means I would like to keep maintenance bills to a minimum. Budget is around £3k to £5k; less would be a real bonus for the reason above but I equally don't want to buy something that needs a huge amount spending on it.

I appreciate that I am hunting at the lower end of the market and faults are going to be inevitable but from a reliability perspective, I understand the 2.4 D5 is pretty bullet proof and good on fuel. I am aware that condition, service history, cambelt changes are all key things to look for but.......

- Is there a particular model year I should go for / avoid?
- D5 163 or 185. Is one "better" than the other? I'd happily settle for the 163 if it's the better lump.
- Second generation (2000-2007) or Third Generation (2007-2016) - I am probably opening a can of worms here but which is generally the better car? Should I be trying to get into a 2007 onwards car if I can? Or is the 2nd gen the "better" vehicle?
- AWD - Sounds good. But are they complex and to be avoided? Is tyre wear an issue?
- Geartronic - Not read great things about this. Are they ok or troublesome?
- Auto would be preferred as I've not driven a manual for a fair few years. Are there any particular engine / auto gearbox configs to avoid? If I need to go manual because it's a much better car then I guess I will do it!

Here are two of the vehicles I am looking at:-
1) 2007 - Gen 2 VOLVO V70 2.4 D5 185 SPECIAL ED.SPORT G/T Estate 137k miles
2) 2008 - Gen 3 VOLVO V70 2.4 D5 185 SE LUX G/T Estate 120k miles

I guess what I am hoping for is for a pointer to say go for x model year, y engine and z gearbox as these seem to be the most bullet proof.

All replies welcome, thanks very much in advance!
To be honest if you buy an expensive luxury brand car like a Volvo and it goes wrong it's very often expensive to fix.
Having said that they are very solidly built so you pays yer money....
I paid £2500 for my 2006 XC70 with high miles two and half years ago, it's needed service items and cambelt but had no expensive failures, even if it is leaking PAS fluid now! (Just an o ring I hope)
Many say the P2 XC70 up to 2007 was the last real Volvo under Ford ownership and some things slipped after that, I don't know for sure but I do know the P2 XC70 is a very well sorted model after 2006 with the much better six speed auto.

It's a dogs life!

XC70 D5 2006 244K Still chugging!
CRV 2.2 2006 216K Reactivated.
luggsey is offline   Reply With Quote