Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Front or Rear Tyres?

Views : 2039

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 13th, 2012, 21:54   #21
S80T60James
S80T6James

Hello,

Many thanks for the entertaining and informative feedback folks. Having seen what everyone says and the video I am leaning towards choosing a pair of tyres that perform well in the wet in particular. The tyres on mine get very poor write ups about their wet performance so it's the very thing that worries me.

And I think I'll put these on the... Rear.

James.
S80T60James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2012, 07:26   #22
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Having driven mostly FWD cars for 30+ years I was always in the camp of new wheels on the front, it does seem more logical as they do have to do accelerating/braking and steering. I was aware of the move a few years back to encourage people to put new tyres on the back but never having had a problem thought it was not a big deal.
I changed my opinion a couple of months back when I jumped in the wifes car to pick my son up from music practice, it had been raining and as I went round a roundabout (we have a few in Milton Keynes) the back end stepped out, I've driven RWD so I instinctively put on opposite lock then thought hang on this is a front wheel drive car so it's not me that's powersliding. My wifes car is a Nissan Almera and to be fair even in the dry I never feel it has the handling and response that my V70 does, having had a 940 first, which with RWD was prone to powersliding, one of the things I like about the V70 and the preceding 850's is that I can sling it about and it just pulls itself through so perhaps the tyre position wouldn't be quite as important on the Volvo, but then even if the Volvo does handle better why compromise some of that handling, if you use 99% of the grip of a new tyre using a tyre with only 98% of the grip equals a problem.
Owyn has agood point- if you don't want to hit anything then don't go too fast, but in Cheradanine's case 'too fast' probably wasn't the key factor in the accident, when I was sliding the wife's Almera I was turning right at a roundabout in traffic.

Gotta love VBH in that video clip, she's so obviously enjoying trying to see how far she can push it and still keep control.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 14th, 2012, 09:02   #23
Cheradenine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
one of the things I like about the V70 and the preceding 850's is that I can sling it about and it just pulls itself through so perhaps the tyre position wouldn't be quite as important on the Volvo, but then even if the Volvo does handle better why compromise some of that handling, if you use 99% of the grip of a new tyre using a tyre with only 98% of the grip equals a problem.
I'd disagree a little - my 850 needs me to pull it through bends with the throttle even at moderate speeds, i.e. it needs to be more actively driven.
Though when you do so the handling is much more reliable - it seems to manage the tail heavy feeling.

I had some fun hustling the 850 down the Tintern road from Monmouth a couple of weeks ago, but I was reminded that when I used to do the same run in my old Alfa 164, I didn't have to concentrate as much on holding the power on round corners (tho' to be fair, 4 years after a bus wrote off the Alfa, it looks a little rose-tinted)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
Owyn has a good point- if you don't want to hit anything then don't go too fast, but in Cheradanine's case 'too fast' probably wasn't the key factor in the accident, when I was sliding the wife's Almera I was turning right at a roundabout in traffic.
I think the problem is knowing how fast too fast is - more predictable handling is one way to manage that: at present I have a worn budget on the front PS of my 850 & if I push a little too hard on a roundabout, the car washes out a little, so I take the next bend a little slower.

The question we're talking round is, would the same progressive handling happen if that tyre was on the rear - given the tyre is at least as worn as the ones on the rear of the V70 I ditched, I don't think it would.

Incidentally, does anyone have a link to the Volvo technical bulletin instructing rear fitting of new tyres?
Cheradenine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2012, 09:47   #24
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

C30 MY2013 Manual - 3rd column 2nd paragraph

MY2009 Manual

Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ninja59 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 14th, 2012, 13:46   #25
tt82
Forum Support Team

Thanks cockers for the vid, I had been trying to find it when posting my first response.

I think that this issue is rather more complicated than people think. It's ok saying that you should fit the new tyres to the rear, but what if these tyres were a set of cheapo budget tyres that have extremely poor wet weather performance and the front tyres were a slightly worn set of premium tyres with good wet weather performance?

After all it is not just the tread depth but groove pattern and rubber composition that affects how a tyre will perform in any given situation.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Then there is the emergency stop factor. With worn tyres if a child was to run out in front of you it is going to take you longer to stop and that could essentially mean the difference between life or death for that child! Given that failling to stop or brake in time is the most common type of car accident in the UK (Europe as well I think) and why systems like Volvo's City Safety are now to be included in the EuroNCAP test for Manufacturers to acheive top marks and cars with these systems fitted will atttract insurance discounts, I think the emphasis should be on braking ability and thus new tyres should be fitted to the front.

I recently started a thread about How much consideration do you give to your tyres?
and I think this is pivotal to the question being asked. Its not where you fit your tyres thats important, but that your aware of the capabilities of your tyres, ie worn vs new, budget vs premuim and drive accordingly. VBH could have driven much slower round that skid pan and made it around without issues yet she pushed it till they lost grip to prove the worst case scenario. If you rear tyres are worn then be aware a knock a few mph of your speed in corners in wet conditions and you should be fine.

I suppose the compromise could be to ensure tyres of even ability are fitted and that they are rotated periodically to ensure the wear rate is similar on all tyres.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2012, 16:39   #26
S80T60James
S80T6James

Hello,

My tyres all have 6mm left but they are cheap tyres - hence I want to get decent ones. If I could I would get four top rate premium tyres today but budget dictates it will be a pair as soon as funds allow. I am about to fork out £1274 on the car having a major service and various things replaced and/or sorted. So I will save up and get those quality tyres as soon as I can.

James
Old Aug 14th, 2012, 17:33   #27
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by S80T60James View Post
Hello,

My tyres all have 6mm left but they are cheap tyres - hence I want to get decent ones. If I could I would get four top rate premium tyres today but budget dictates it will be a pair as soon as funds allow. I am about to fork out £1274 on the car having a major service and various things replaced and/or sorted. So I will save up and get those quality tyres as soon as I can.

James
check the other thread about the AC condenser!
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2012, 17:55   #28
S80T60James
S80T6James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja59 View Post
check the other thread about the AC condenser!
I'm on it. Marshall Volvo tried to fob me off but I'm on it.
The Following User Says Thank You to S80T60James For This Useful Post: