Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Powershift v Geartronic

Views : 31490

Replies : 60

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 1st, 2011, 18:04   #31
froggyted
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 159john View Post
I would imagine the Powershift works the same as the i-shift i had in my previous Civic - when stationary, with your foot on the brake, the clutch is completely disengaged; therefore no wear on the clutch plates is taking place.

I noticed in the handbook for my S60 Geartronic that it says the gearbox automatically slips into neutral when stationary with your foot on the brake (and gearbox in Drive). It notes that this is to save fuel.
Interesting information, John. Can anybody confirm whether or not this is the same with the Powershift? The S40 manual makes no mention of this. Incidentally, the manual makes no mention of Powershift at all, only Geartronic; as they operate more or less the same from the driver's perspective (except the manual position is a mirror image) i don't suppose Volvo thought it worth updating the manual.

Quote:
Just to add my own opinion to this discussion; I would consider very carefully whether you want the expense of maybe replacing a very complex dual (automated) clutch at say 50-60k, if you intend keeping it to that sort of mileage. I know clutches can last a lot longer than that, but after that sort of mileage it becomes a bit of a lottery.

Incidentally, I always found with the auto clutch that you need to get into the habit of holding the car on the footbrake so that by balancing releasing the brake and applying the accelerator you can avoid rolling back in the split second before the auto clutch engages (I assume the Powershift is the same in that it will engage the clutch as soon as the accelerator is pressed, even if your foot is still on the brake?) Obviously you need to get the technique exactly right in order to avoid excessive wear on the clutch, but I found it became second nature.
I must admit, i've thought about doing this, but after 30 years of driving manuals i'm just a bit worried that if i let my left foot go anywhere near the pedals i might do so on the open road!
froggyted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2011, 19:57   #32
zimbo565

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggyted View Post
When do you know the DPF is actually regenerating? When i posted my earlier answer to zimbo565 i was simply stating that i've had no messages on the onboard display, i.e. the need for regeneration had not become critical.
From what I've seen whilst Googling the main tell-tales are loss of power and, if you have a fuel consumption readout, the consumption increases whilst the regen is going on.
zimbo565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2011, 20:17   #33
zimbo565

Quote:
Just to add my own opinion to this discussion; I would consider very carefully whether you want the expense of maybe replacing a very complex dual (automated) clutch at say 50-60k, if you intend keeping it to that sort of mileage. I know clutches can last a lot longer than that, but after that sort of mileage it becomes a bit of a lottery.
Yes, that's a big concern of mine, especially having seen a number of comments about people having issues with the VW / Audi DSG box. I do feel that it's a bit like Russian Roulette!

Off topic a bit, is the 159 in your user name a reference to Alfa? That was one of the cars we had looked at.
Old Apr 1st, 2011, 20:55   #34
faffi
Motorcyclist

Quote:
When do you know the DPF is actually regenerating? When i posted my earlier answer to zimbo565 i was simply stating that i've had no messages on the onboard display, i.e. the need for regeneration had not become critical.
Cannot say I notice any power loss as zimbo described, but the instant consumption increase about 30% or so (litre per km goes up, mpg will drop numerically). Not possible to miss. And one time the rear demist came on automatically to increase the load on the engine. Also, if the cycle isn't finished when you stop - or just finished - you get a smell not unlike that of a burning brake coming from the left rear wheel arch, a result of the very hot exhaust system.
faffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2011, 11:10   #35
froggyted
Master Member

Thanks, faffi. I can't say i've noticed any of these symptoms. It's interesting to note that the ECM will turn the rear demister on if it deems necessary - as i said earlier, sometimes i feel like i'm stepping into a spaceship when i get behind the steering wheel! The electronics on modern cars are very clever.

Back to an earlier issue: how many of you just use the footbrake when stationary at lights etc., rather than slipping into neutral and then using the handbrake, and does using the footbrake when the car is stationary disengage the clutch on the Powershift transmission? I'm still new to driving automatics so am still learning.

Zimbo565, if you read this before you view, two things i would look out for in the cabin are marks on the dash under the ignition key and dents/scratches in the floating console. These seem to be common cosmetic problems, and were manifest in all the (low-mileage) courtesy cars i've had, and i'd definitely try to knock the price down a bit for things like this.
froggyted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2011, 18:57   #36
159john

Quote:
I must admit, i've thought about doing this, but after 30 years of driving manuals i'm just a bit worried that if i let my left foot go anywhere near the pedals i might do so on the open road!
Believe me Froggyted, you'd only do it once! It's amazing how little sensation of feel you have in your left foot when you try to brake using it. I take my hat off to left-foot brakers - it's an art that must take some mastering! Seriously though; I found it the only way to drive an automated manual, although I must confess that I never use the handbrake for anything other than parking.

My Honda had a single clutch and had significant shortcomings as a result; but my father's A3 DSG is amazing; it really does seem to give the best of both worlds. As I said before, my only concern would be over expensive repairs once it's past the 60k mark.
159john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2011, 19:05   #37
159john

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimbo565 View Post
Off topic a bit, is the 159 in your user name a reference to Alfa? That was one of the cars we had looked at.
Good spot zimbo; yes it is. I was a member of the Alfa Owners Forum with that User Name when I had an Alfa and have kept it because it's one I can remember!

I had the 159 Sportwagon 2.4jtdm Lusso on a '57 Plate. It was a truly beautiful car and really was in the BMW/Audi/Merc class for quality of finish. Ferociously powerful but ultimately quite a heavy car to drive, that became hard work when you weren't 'in the mood'. Lovely car though - made you feel special every time you got in it. Not sure I would recommend one though because I traded mine in 11 months ago and it's still sitting on the Dealer's Forecourt - now at £1k less than I got for it; so depreciation/selling them seems to be a bit of a problem.
159john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2011, 21:12   #38
zimbo565

Well, for better or worse, we bought the 2.0D Powershift, a 58 plate SE Lux in Orinoco Blue with off black leather trim.

Quote:
Zimbo565, if you read this before you view, two things i would look out for in the cabin are marks on the dash under the ignition key and dents/scratches in the floating console. These seem to be common cosmetic problems, and were manifest in all the (low-mileage) courtesy cars i've had, and i'd definitely try to knock the price down a bit for things like this.
Thanks for the heads up. No marks on the dash on this one but a very slight rub mark on the edge of the floating console about an inch below the ignition key but you really need to look for it. Rest of the floating console looked unmarked but we will need to be careful not to drop anything on it.

She'll be delivered on Friday once the garage have done the 3 year service (slightly early as date of first registration was September 2008.
Old Apr 2nd, 2011, 21:18   #39
zimbo565

Quote:
I had the 159 Sportwagon 2.4jtdm Lusso on a '57 Plate. It was a truly beautiful car and really was in the BMW/Audi/Merc class for quality of finish. Ferociously powerful but ultimately quite a heavy car to drive, that became hard work when you weren't 'in the mood'. Lovely car though - made you feel special every time you got in it. Not sure I would recommend one though because I traded mine in 11 months ago and it's still sitting on the Dealer's Forecourt - now at £1k less than I got for it; so depreciation/selling them seems to be a bit of a problem.
I liked the look of the 159 but we were after something slightly smaller (shorter) and also there weren't any suitable ones for sale within 200 miles. It's quite rare to see one on the road up here but, having said, that, on the drive back from buying the S40 we passed 3 black 159s and a red Brera going the other way!

I think you're right about the depreciation though going by the prices I've seen for 2008 159s compared to S40s.
Old Apr 2nd, 2011, 22:11   #40
faffi
Motorcyclist

Congrats on the new car, zimb
faffi is offline   Reply With Quote