Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Where do you see Volvo against other marques?

Views : 24251

Replies : 234

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Where do you see Volvo as a brand compared to other marques?
Premium and firmly in Compact Executive sector (eg, BMW, Benz and Audi) 91 55.83%
Non Premium but still in Compact Executive sector 35 21.47%
Premium-esque, but not in Compact Executive sector (eg, Alfa Romeo) 36 22.09%
Non Premium and not in Compact Executive sector (eg, Ford Mondeo) 6 3.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 7th, 2012, 23:33   #131
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidicDavey View Post
Of course not dude, don't be such an arrogant idiot!
Rhetorical question dude.

I have a dog, a large one, he's always very cool and I don't have privacy glass.

And we've always had dogs in my family, never had privacy glass in any of our dog carriers. The second (Mother's) car was often the one bought for dog duty - starting with a new Singer Vogue estate car in 1965.

Followed by two Triumph 2000 estate cars, a Mk1 then a Mk2.

Prufrock.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2012, 23:54   #132
57RKL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prufrock View Post

Range Rover, expensive, no class, too much of a footballer's car like a Bentley or an Aston Martin.

Best luxury car on UK market today - the Lexus GS.

Prufrock.
Hey Pru, Dont sit on the fence do you ? Loving the Range Rover comment though, spot on !
57RKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 01:32   #133
Thom12
Master Member

Quote:
New XJ.

Fine car, not pretty, well made, flawed execution, but too bling for my taste, it is British. If I wanted a Jaguar I'd buy the previous aluminium bodied model, very underrated (classic looks hi-tech execution) but Tata had to take Jaguar in a new design direction for the emerging BRIC economies.

My Father had Jaguars - both new XJs, an S1 and an S2. I myself have owned many BMW 7s, and Mercedes S-Class, today neither get my vote. Both brands are common place, though undoubtedly premium.

Range Rover, expensive, no class, too much of a footballer's car like a Bentley or an Aston Martin.

Prufrock.
I think the older jaguars done more damage to the companies premium image than the newer ones do. I do love the old XJ (2009 model i think it is) but i think the new one is far better looking. As previously mentioned, the X-type done them no favors, it and the S-type look very tired now, even in well kept examples.

Range Rover are a bit "footballer" but inside is just stunning. A friend just bought a new one and it's genuinely great to drive. The feature in the seats where it "inflates" as you turn corners is brilliant.

I would also offer that the GS is just as blingy as the XJ but not as good looking (just my opinion though).
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 01:44   #134
Volvo2002
Young Volvo driver

Regarding the X-type. Have a friend from another forum who was skeptical as it's FWD and based on the Ford Mondeo. He himself recommends it as it's refined, reliable and has a JAAAAG! feel!

"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure. – Bill Cosby"
Volvo2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 01:45   #135
Volvo2002
Young Volvo driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom12 View Post
I agree with most of what you have said here, with the exception of Jaguar.

As far as quality goes i'd say they are way up with Audi. We just bought a new XJ and i'd say it outclasses the 7 series and the A8. It's dreamy to drive and seems to be really well built.

Out of curiosity, where do people rate Range Rover in this?

I've found the results so far pretty surprising. Very interesting thread.
A brand new XJ? Lucky you lol. Tom if you get insurance on it come down and give me a spin

"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure. – Bill Cosby"
Volvo2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 04:55   #136
Rawas
Master Member

Default 2013 xc60

For those who do not care about the look of an XC60, do you think that the new one is any better? it is going to be shown in the next Geneva motor show.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg volvo-xc60.jpg (53.7 KB, 12 views)
Rawas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 05:34   #137
Rawas
Master Member

Quote:
New XJ.
Prufrock.
If you consider the Lexus GS to be one of the best luxury cars on the market today, a lot of people would agree though, do you think it looks good.
I think that there is always something missing in the design of any Japanese car even the luxury ones, no character, no right proportions and no identity. In other words if you look at any european car without reading the badge, you can easily guess what it is, compared to the japanese where you can never tell. Do you guys agree?
In the case of a Lexus, do you think that it looks better than a Jaguar XF?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-lexus-gs.jpg (78.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-jaguar-xf.jpg (92.4 KB, 7 views)
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 05:37   #138
Rawas
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo6 View Post
But who does make a good looking car these days barring very expensive/sports cars?

When one says 'the XC60 is ordinary' what exactly are we comparing it to?
To this;
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nissan XTrail.jpg (10.0 KB, 7 views)
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 08:12   #139
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo2002 View Post
Regarding the X-type. Have a friend from another forum who was skeptical as it's FWD and based on the Ford Mondeo. He himself recommends it as it's refined, reliable and has a JAAAAG! feel!
When the X-Type was first launched it was all wheel drive.

As a medium sized estate with the 2.2 diesel it is a fine, great value for money used car.

Prufrock.
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 08:18   #140
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom12 View Post
I think the older jaguars done more damage to the companies premium image than the newer ones do. I do love the old XJ (2009 model i think it is) but i think the new one is far better looking. As previously mentioned, the X-type done them no favors, it and the S-type look very tired now, even in well kept examples.

Range Rover are a bit "footballer" but inside is just stunning. A friend just bought a new one and it's genuinely great to drive. The feature in the seats where it "inflates" as you turn corners is brilliant.

I would also offer that the GS is just as blingy as the XJ but not as good looking (just my opinion though).
The older Jaguars when new were among the best cars in the world, the series 3 cars were just that. Nothing, even today, rides and handles quite like a real XJ6 or 12.

Range Rovers are the height of bad taste whether well made or not - an inflating seat...what is your point?

The GS is the most refined of them all - the classic definition of a luxury car

Prufrock.