Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Where do you see Volvo against other marques?

Views : 24272

Replies : 234

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Where do you see Volvo as a brand compared to other marques?
Premium and firmly in Compact Executive sector (eg, BMW, Benz and Audi) 91 55.83%
Non Premium but still in Compact Executive sector 35 21.47%
Premium-esque, but not in Compact Executive sector (eg, Alfa Romeo) 36 22.09%
Non Premium and not in Compact Executive sector (eg, Ford Mondeo) 6 3.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 6th, 2016, 15:17   #221
Dibble
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billggski View Post
Just read the review of the V90, interesting they sloped the roof to give it a better look, but less headroom and rear space?
I chose the V70 because I have two big labs, (so predictable) and the upright rear door was the clincher.
Moved from an xj Jaguar, definitely seen as a move down by all relations and friends.
But an xf estate was nor really big enough.
Friend went from Audi to new Jaguar XE last September. Not impressed with build quality after Audi. 3,500 miles later now has a new Audi 4. He couldn't believe the parts that fell off the Jaguar. It cost him about £4000 but he is a happy choppy again. Jaguar still a lovely looking car.
Dibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2016, 23:17   #222
mdon
VOC Member

Premium car any day of the week.
mdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2016, 15:00   #223
Rustyfrog
Grumpy Pond Dweller

Until the end of last year I had a Volvo S60 RDesign with all the trimmings.
It drove very well, but it drove me mad!
The dark interior, the constant warning buzzers and lights informing me that a car was about to pass me or an unsteady pedestrian was liable to fall off a kerb, I found annoying. The lack of usable boot space was another downer.
So it had to go.

I now drive a Jaguar XF (2013 not the new 2016 model) and I love it.
The V6 3.0L engine is superb and coupled to the 8 speed auto gearbox its surprisingly quick and economic for its size.

I would agree with several of the previous comments that the new/present XE and XF models are a step backwards in both engines and refinement.

Sign of the times I suppose.
The Indians now own Jaguar as do the Chinese own Volvo.
Things are never what they used to be.
Safety, reliability and fuel economy have improved but I am not so sure about pure driving pleasure.

I still like Volvo as a marque, enjoy popping on here from time to time, and we have a V40 in the family which I get to drive on occasions.

.................................................. ..
I thought that growing old would take a little longer

Last edited by Rustyfrog; Jun 12th, 2016 at 15:06.
Rustyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2016, 23:18   #224
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Volvo's position in the market since the time of the 240 where other manufactures have cought up in some areas.

Audi, used to be a good reliable cars but I think they have gone down hill and your avarage VAG car does not deserve to be called premium due to being designed to a low budget. A lad I work with had problems with his Audi 1.3 Turbo with the engine using 1ltr of oil per 600 miles and being told by Audi this is normal. After taking the car back 3 times the engine finally let go due to oil problems. What a joke for oil consumption, even 60's engines were better than that. I have also noticed a lot of mechanical issues with the higher power models where comonents are under engineered.

Would I buy a new volvo? Well the answer is NO, I would stick with the older Volvo but for something new I would more likely go Lexus but I dont see me blwing money on a new car any time soon
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2016, 08:40   #225
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
Volvo's position in the market since the time of the 240 where other manufactures have cought up in some areas.

Audi, used to be a good reliable cars but I think they have gone down hill and your avarage VAG car does not deserve to be called premium due to being designed to a low budget. A lad I work with had problems with his Audi 1.3 Turbo with the engine using 1ltr of oil per 600 miles and being told by Audi this is normal. After taking the car back 3 times the engine finally let go due to oil problems. What a joke for oil consumption, even 60's engines were better than that. I have also noticed a lot of mechanical issues with the higher power models where comonents are under engineered.

Would I buy a new volvo? Well the answer is NO, I would stick with the older Volvo but for something new I would more likely go Lexus but I dont see me blwing money on a new car any time soon
I plan on keeping my S40 until it's well and truly buggered but my next car would also probably be a Lexus - mainly because the S40 line has stopped and I think the S60 front looks boring (although I love the rear of them) and anything else is too big. IS 300H me thinks..

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2016, 17:18   #226
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Have always thought Volvo means engineering integrity and longevity. Never compared them to 'premium' brands which are more about perceived image. Volvo were never styled to look anything other than form following function although that has changed. I doubt a potential 240, 740, 940 or even v90 buyer would have considered a BMW or Mercedes. There is a Saab comparison thru seventies and eighties. High quality engineering, no nonsense styling, idiosyncratic and reliable. For that reason I can't tick one of the poll boxes. I view premium as a marketing man's term to enable manufacturers to CHARGE a premium. I have little knowledge of how others perceive old and new Volvos

Last edited by biggbn; Jun 16th, 2016 at 17:23.
biggbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2016, 15:00   #227
MercedesDriver
Love Earth - Drive Petrol

Volvo fulfills different needs than Mercedes or Jaguar and I never thought of Volvo as a premium brand but a family friendly brand. On the other hand BMW and especially Audi were NEVER premiums but boy racer brands only.
What I like so far on my Volvo is that it put's a smile on my face.
Old Jun 19th, 2016, 12:57   #228
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedesDriver View Post
On the other hand BMW and especially Audi were NEVER premiums but boy racer brands only.
There was a time when BMW's weren't boy racer brands...I daresay you're referring to the third or fourth owners.

When I had my first BMW (it was quite old - a 1971 model) most people didn't know what a BMW was - they weren't bought by ordinary folk!

Mercedes now falls into the same category, made affordable by PCP finance and the demographic has changed quite radically.

Jon.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2016, 15:43   #229
biggbn
I've Been Banned

I don't see BMW as a 'boy racer brand', they are well thought out cars that are more driver focus sed than most, owned many from e30 318is thru e36 m3 evo, various old 5 series including an e12 m535 which I wish I'd kept, various old 7 series, including a rare lwb manual 735i from '88 which I also wish I'd kept!!! I have liked them all, respected them...but never fallen for any in a big way. Teutonic soulless cliche alert. Had a wee z3 roadster for last three years and we are not letting it go...ever. Classic styling, old school simple fun, easy to,work on.
biggbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2016, 17:16   #230
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prufrock View Post
There was a time when BMW's weren't boy racer brands...I daresay you're referring to the third or fourth owners.

When I had my first BMW (it was quite old - a 1971 model) most people didn't know what a BMW was - they weren't bought by ordinary folk!

Mercedes now falls into the same category, made affordable by PCP finance and the demographic has changed quite radically.

Jon.
BMW is the new Mondeo ... every fifth car is a BMW in the outside lane , going slower than those in the inner lane ....