Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wjhat should mine look like - Gallery of concours cars

Views : 1240

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 28th, 2013, 19:37   #1
fishyboy

Default Wjhat should mine look like - Gallery of concours cars

Hi all,
I'm new to the forum (what a great site full of very helpful people and great advice) and looking to add some finishing touches to my 1968 1800S. I have not been able to find any photos showing the details of particular areas e.g. the boot interior, cockpit, engine bay? I have several books and workshop manuals, but none have a good gallery of photos showing how things should look. For example with the boot is there a supposed to be a spare wheel cover? Should the jack be strapped down? What type of floor and side lining should be used? What type of sound-proofing came as standard?

Does any now of a good set on photos (or online resource) showing the details of how each of the main parts of the car should finished? Anyone with a concourse car able to post some photos?

Is this something we should set up on the VOC?

Thanks

Phil
fishyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2013, 19:44   #2
Groundes-Peace
Master Member

It will be interesting to see how much help people can give you on this.
The spare wheel should have a cover. The jack should be attached to the right wheel arch. The shoule be "board" sides to the boot. The long crank handle for the jack should be clipped to the central board (you look at as you open the boot. There should be a fitted rubber mat on the boot floor. I don't know about insulation on the boot lid? I don't know if there is a nominated place for the tool roll.
Not sure I can help you with much else, and sorry I have no ideal photos.
Groundes-Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2013, 20:10   #3
ClassicVolvoShop
Schrödinger's Cat Cph!

Ehh.. Google image search really should do it for you..

Edited:

Oh, sorry - if you are more looking for photos that describes the "correct" setup/look etc. - then that's of course a complete different task.. Sorry, missed that point at first.

Brochures etc. does the trick.. Either buy brochures and spare parts catalouge - OR, wait for me to get my website done (I'll say, some 7-8 years yet)..

Last edited by ClassicVolvoShop; Oct 28th, 2013 at 20:12.
ClassicVolvoShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2013, 23:16   #4
Derek UK
VOC Member

You can spend some time going through the pictures on here. There are brochures there as well. Most cars in the database won't give you much help but there are quite a few better cars that have a good set of pictures.

http://www.volvo1800pictures.com/

Putting Volvo 1800 as a search into Flickr will also find you lots of images.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 13:20   #5
fishyboy

Groundes-Peace.
I have not posted sufficent times to reply to PM.
The answer is "No" I haven't found any good photos of the boot detailing. But Simon at Brookhouse has sent me a parts diagram for the boot which gave me some help. I have fitted the missing boards OK. I think all I am missing is the clip that holds the jack handle to the back board and the spare wheel clamp. I don't think either is currently available. Do you have a photo of both items? Is the jack supposed to be secured to the floor? I intend to don the sound deadening soon.
Thanks
Phil
Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 17:25   #6
Groundes-Peace
Master Member

The jack is fixed to the rear right hand wheel arch in the boot. There should be a treaded screw protruding from the wheel arch for the jack to slip onto and then be tighted with a winged nut. I had a winged fastener made up so mine is not original.
The fixing of the spare wheel on my car had to be modified as I run on wire wheels.
At present I don't have the long jack winding handle or clips, so a photo of my boot probably would not be a big help.
Old Dec 6th, 2013, 11:37   #7
Groundes-Peace
Master Member

As I have not found yet any good images of the inside of the P1800/1800S boot, with wheel and tools etc. in place, can anyone post such here?
Old Dec 6th, 2013, 19:13   #8
TMC

If you're going for the full on 'Auto-glym' / Pebble Beach Concours then originality is everything. I once had an Opel GT that I was a pretty good example, it did place 4th in 'Original class' in Europe at meet of 400 cars, but I got pulled over the coals for not having the correct hose clips and was missing the original fuse pulling tool......

I now try to avoid building a concours car as it ends up being a 'trailer-queen' and you'll never enjoy it, that said I collected my car last week after her rebuild and I find myself being hyper-critical of what I've now built. I decided to build something exactly as I / my wife wanted, so have done a bit of a 'custom' boot lining as we really just wanted to 'lift' the overall quality of the P1800 to another level.....after all she was compared to the Maserati, Aston, BMW, Mercedes when she was new.

I'll post a pic tomorrow assuming the weather forecast says 21degC and clear
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2013, 20:47   #9
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

when i get a chance and i have a lot on atm but i can lay my hands on one of the best P1800S ( im biased tho as grew up doing concours shows with it ) which helds its own and won lots !!!! of shows including car of the show at the N.E.C back in the 80s ....

lots of photos i can scan and show you any area on the car in exact detail down to the last nut being right spec dad spend years with this car and sadly it got sold and was used as a daily last i heard but i never want to see that car again because it will never be as good as it was back then so i have never even tried looking for it im sure lots of people would know the car if they see it

first chance i lay my hands on the box full of photos i will come back to this thread and post some images not sure when but i shall post them

kind regards
robert

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2013, 09:04   #10
fishyboy

1800necwinner
Many thanks. The photos will help a lot. I appreciate that it may take some time.
Thanks again
Phil
The Following User Says Thank You to fishyboy For This Useful Post: