Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

B200FT Tuning advice.

Views : 7195

Replies : 90

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 6th, 2016, 11:06   #71
mario850
Vovlo lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240T View Post
Turbobricks is a brilliant site... End of. Tonnes of information on there and everyone is really helpful. Don't bash it before you try it!
I cant register on TurboBricks, for some reason my e-mail is blocked and i have tried contacting admin 4 times to find out why and i have had no reply so i have given up, if thats how admin are running it then its not worth my time, you guys on here have been amazing and i give massive thanks to you all.
Past-> L Reg 945 2.0 HPT Wentworth.
mario850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2016, 11:29   #72
lee4391

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5Sweep View Post
Very few want to help new people on TB, you have to wade through a field of abuse/sarcasm before you get anywhere, but once you're in then it's all gravy.

John V is the man you want to speak to on there, sort of a guru.
I agree its ****ing boring sometimes. Everything seems to get questioned and criticised by 20 people who are think they are race engineers. I rarely ask questions on tb as a lot of the info is there but you have to search for it. Also every time you ask questions about chassis components you get pointed to kaplhenke, rather than having a worthwhile discussion. While bens products are very good quality it is not the be all and end all.

Best thing to do is lurk and ask questions if you really have to then prepare for the worst. John V however knows a lot he can be cryptic sometimes but he's is not one to spoon feed he likes to make people think.
lee4391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2016, 18:05   #73
240T
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee4391 View Post
I agree its ****ing boring sometimes. Everything seems to get questioned and criticised by 20 people who are think they are race engineers. I rarely ask questions on tb as a lot of the info is there but you have to search for it. Also every time you ask questions about chassis components you get pointed to kaplhenke, rather than having a worthwhile discussion. While bens products are very good quality it is not the be all and end all.

Best thing to do is lurk and ask questions if you really have to then prepare for the worst. John V however knows a lot he can be cryptic sometimes but he's is not one to spoon feed he likes to make people think.
+1 for John Vanlandingham. Great bloke... Cossie Garretts spring to mind when I talk to him.
240T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2016, 13:09   #74
mario850
Vovlo lover

So, today i have fitted the Atmospheric DV and the blanking plate and as was said it stalls on idle, when will i listen lol. so the new plan.

I am NOT removing them i am going to find a solution to this very stupid problem lol.

now i have tried the butterfly stopper adjustment screw and unfortunately its siezed solid so now i think i need to find a fresh TB thats not seized so i can adjust the idle closed position of the Butterfly. What i di manage to do was bend the stopper for the spindle abit and that has helped alot, instead of it stalling instantly it now idles for about 2 seconds then stalls, that should in theory be enough for me to catch a stall when out and about.

1 thought that ran through my head, good it be partly down to a dying Idle Control valve??? ie not working properly or partly blocked??? or maybe just needing a good clean???

PS, the DV sounds great but I am getting Turbo flutter and i have read different views on weather this is good. i have watched the DV and its opening and closing as it should and its opening instantly when the Butterfly closers but I am getting alot of flutter back through the Air filter.

Old Feb 7th, 2016, 21:22   #75
Dirty Rooster
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario850 View Post
now i have tried the butterfly stopper adjustment screw and unfortunately its siezed solid ...
It is not seized.
It has a locknut.
This is correct design.
Old Feb 7th, 2016, 23:43   #76
mario850
Vovlo lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Rooster View Post
It is not seized.
It has a locknut.
This is correct design.
Nope, no signs of a lock nut anywhere. i will grab a pic tomorrow.
Old Feb 8th, 2016, 12:48   #77
nordmaschine

Kudos for ricing up the car and choking it...

Locknut is in the back. But the screw is known to sieze.
nordmaschine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2016, 13:38   #78
Dirty Rooster
Premier Member

The first time I adjusted my idle screw I thought "oh its not moving",
thought a bit more, had a look,
slackened off the locknut ... bingo.
Adjusted the screw, tightened the nut.
Job done.
Old Feb 8th, 2016, 14:42   #79
mario850
Vovlo lover

Cheers guys, its raining at the mo but just been out in it and its idling at 4-500rpm ish so only needs a small tweek lol
Old Feb 10th, 2016, 12:41   #80
mario850
Vovlo lover

Well my persistance has paid off. After hours of research i have learned that turbo flutter isnt a bad thing, compressor surge is very bad. Turbo flutter when you let off the throttle and it flutters for a second before thw Blow off valve opens is ok, so with that in mind i have solved the wont idle issue.

I have now got the idle running off the control valve and its idling perfectly with no stalling.

What happens is when its on idle there is still a small amount of pressure coming from the turbo, i know this because if the DV is set too soft on idle it stays open and there is pressure coming out of it, the DV being open on idle is bad and this is what is causing the stalling. Now because i was smart and bought an adjustable DV i have hardened it up so on idle it now stays closed (how its meant to work) this now means that small amount of boost pressure (not even 1psi) is now being fed into the idle control valve and is now allowing it to work as it should which means all my idling issues are solved.

But, this has come at a small cost. I now have a small flutter before the DV opens meaning it sounda like an old Group B rally car constantly. Girlfriend says it sounds great and personally i think it does a little too lol. But if you are a person that waants subtulty then this set up is not for you lol. Its, how we say, very chav!