Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Liqui Moly

Views : 1871

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 25th, 2016, 18:42   #11
5cilinder
Premier Member

Look in the 0w30 thread on my rant of dealers and their "recommendations" its all commercial and emmissions motivated and a lot of people who dont know anything find it save to follow an authority brainlessly
The did advise a4/b4 oils (moost commonly 5w40 synthetic) pre dpf d5ś with same cilinders and pistons and now suddenly the turboś blow up because of the stronger oilfilm and better dopes?
Ask them why the valvelifters wear out post dpf! ill tell you thin wateroils dilluted with fuel but you wont hear that from them
No information on software updates the eternal silence on the rising oillevels they tell you nothing but i doubt they know much besides following a flowchart
I even did have to explain to techs there how shut off daylight in vida because they wanted it to sell me a "softwarepacket" to do that for me
Laughable

Last edited by 5cilinder; Jun 25th, 2016 at 18:51.
5cilinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2016, 11:05   #12
monkeh
Pain in the backside

Is liquimoly a low saps oil? I wonder if it'll go on an OM642.
Old Jul 28th, 2016, 08:21   #13
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeh View Post
Is liquimoly a low saps oil? I wonder if it'll go on an OM642.
Liqui Moly do make low saps oils (Reduced Zinc based additives) for the DPF afflicted, just use their oil finder page of their web site and it will list all of their oils that are a good match.

Synthoil High Tech is a real German standard full synthetic, but was expensive in the UK. The best used oil analysis results I've got so far were from using Synthoil High Tech 5w40 (A3/B4), but they do make an 0w30 and 40 that are good for DPF sufferers.

If you want a turbo to last, use a real Volvo oil filter and cut the Max recommended oil change interval in half. In technical terms LM Synthoil and Shell Ultra are both better than Castrol Edge or Mobil 1.

Shell Ultra is probably cheaper than Liqui Moly Synthoil if you are looking for the best oil available and it's results were very close to those of using the real McCoy Synthoil.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2016, 08:30   #14
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cilinder View Post
Look in the 0w30 thread on my rant of dealers and their "recommendations" its all commercial and emmissions motivated and a lot of people who dont know anything find it save to follow an authority brainlessly
The did advise a4/b4 oils (moost commonly 5w40 synthetic) pre dpf d5ś with same cilinders and pistons and now suddenly the turboś blow up because of the stronger oilfilm and better dopes?
Ask them why the valvelifters wear out post dpf! ill tell you thin wateroils dilluted with fuel but you wont hear that from them
No information on software updates the eternal silence on the rising oillevels they tell you nothing but i doubt they know much besides following a flowchart
I even did have to explain to techs there how shut off daylight in vida because they wanted it to sell me a "softwarepacket" to do that for me
Laughable
Very true and one solution is to use a major brand full synthetic 0 or 5w40 that is low saps (DPF approved) and replace the reduced level of Zinc based additives with Liqui Moly Ceratec (Half a can every OCI is enough in my opinion). The other option is to do what the turbo manufacturers say and change the oil much more often. Some of the Max OCI limits are truly nuts if you have any degree of fuel contamination or a big right boot, 30K km should be 10 to 15km in my opinion.

Valve lifter wear is obvious in a used oil analysis, although impending turbo bearing failures are less so.
Top end trouble that is not rings related results in high Iron and Aluminium in the used oil, whilst bad turbo bearings might show high Iron and Copper, BUT not all turbos fail from poor lubrication and when they do the failure can be fairly sudden, so UOA is less reliable in that respect.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)

Last edited by skyship007; Jul 28th, 2016 at 08:35.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skyship007 For This Useful Post: