Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Need help diagnosing engine running rough

Views : 10655

Replies : 239

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 14th, 2022, 17:02   #1
SalvadorP
Master Member

Default Need help diagnosing engine running rough

[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/1UhOnEHIB6s[/YOUTUBE]
https://youtu.be/1UhOnEHIB6s

My car runs rough and vibrates a lot at idle and even more at 1500rpm. I've changed plugs, cleaned PCV, changed all filters, ran injector cleaner, etc.
The car does have a crack both on front muffler and cat, but why would it only vibrate at idle and 1500?
I'm suspecting a dirty MAF or distributor issues but i really dont know. What do you guys think?

Seems worse when it rains and today the engine cut out in the morning while idling cold.

Last edited by SalvadorP; Feb 14th, 2022 at 17:05.
SalvadorP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SalvadorP For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2022, 20:41   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

You'd be surprised how much a leaky exhaust can upset the running. Get that fixed before you dive headlong into firing the parts cannon at it or anything else for that matter!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2022, 21:07   #3
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
You'd be surprised how much a leaky exhaust can upset the running. Get that fixed before you dive headlong into firing the parts cannon at it or anything else for that matter!

Thx Dave.

When i plugged the holes with putty both me and my partner noticed it was vibrating less. But the putty didn't hold at all. Vibration is back but could be coincidence.

I'll do exhaust in the near future. Bit scared of not being able to undo the nuts. They look pretty stuck.

Do you think it is worth disassembling distributor cap and cleaning it? Never did it in this car.

Cheers
Salvador
Old Feb 14th, 2022, 21:17   #4
TonyS9
Premier Member

Yes definately clean the distributor, these do suffer a little hesitation from oil in the distributor, even in a fairly ok running car. Usually much smoother when changing to distributorless ignition.

I can't hear anything in the video, just voice.

Stop the parts canon, start diagnsotics. Buy some spark checker lights (£20) and see if its noticeably different.

Run the car in the dark without any lights (DRLs or spark checkers) and look for glowing around the HT system.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2022, 21:50   #5
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS9 View Post
Yes definately clean the distributor, these do suffer a little hesitation from oil in the distributor, even in a fairly ok running car. Usually much smoother when changing to distributorless ignition.

I can't hear anything in the video, just voice.

Stop the parts canon, start diagnsotics. Buy some spark checker lights (£20) and see if its noticeably different.

Run the car in the dark without any lights (DRLs or spark checkers) and look for glowing around the HT system.
I should have made a better video. But it vibrates a lot. I thought it was audible at 1500.

I didn't even know you could change the ignition system.

My first car, an Opel, would act up everytime it rained because humidity got into the distributor. Got progressively worse until distributor was changed

Is it easy to clean on the 940? Anything I should be mindful of? Like any part prone to break or hard to disassemble?
Old Feb 14th, 2022, 22:00   #6
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalvadorP View Post
I should have made a better video. But it vibrates a lot. I thought it was audible at 1500.

I didn't even know you could change the ignition system.

My first car, an Opel, would act up everytime it rained because humidity got into the distributor. Got progressively worse until distributor was changed

Is it easy to clean on the 940? Anything I should be mindful of? Like any part prone to break or hard to disassemble?
Chances are the fibre washers are broken and the oil seal in the distributor has failed allowing oil in to the distributor cap area and allowing the rotor arm to move up and down.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2022, 22:14   #7
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Chances are the fibre washers are broken and the oil seal in the distributor has failed allowing oil in to the distributor cap area and allowing the rotor arm to move up and down.
Should i buy those washers before i remove the cap to inspect it?
Old Feb 14th, 2022, 22:16   #8
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Should i buy those washers before i remove the cap to inspect it?
It requires a full strip down to replace them, if all you're doing is taking the cap off then you won't be able to change them
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2022, 22:29   #9
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Thx Dave.

When i plugged the holes with putty both me and my partner noticed it was vibrating less. But the putty didn't hold at all. Vibration is back but could be coincidence.

I'll do exhaust in the near future. Bit scared of not being able to undo the nuts. They look pretty stuck.

Do you think it is worth disassembling distributor cap and cleaning it? Never did it in this car.

Cheers
Salvador
You've answered your own question there Salvador. Spray the nuts/bolts on the exhaust with penetrating oil daily before using the car and when you come to try and undo the various fasteners, get the engine nice and hot (wear gloves so you don't brn your hands) and use 6-sided sockets, not open-end spanners or 12-sided sockets.
Also sometimes trying to tighten while hot can help release the threads as long as immediately after trying to tighten you loosen.

The dizzy cap is probably worth doing too but do the exhaust first as you won't know if there's any improvement with the exhaust leaking like a sieve!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2022, 22:46   #10
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
It requires a full strip down to replace them, if all you're doing is taking the cap off then you won't be able to change them
Got it. Found a guide on this:
https://blog.fcpeuro.com/how-to-repl...otor-and-seals