Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Central locking relay/key fob question (940)

Views : 350

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 10th, 2021, 17:25   #1
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

Default Central locking relay/key fob question (940)

Hi all,
My diesel 940 has a fully functioning remote lock/unlock central locking system, which I like very much. My petrol car, however, was sold to me with no central locking remote fob and no relay-the PO told me that the previous relay had failed, so he had binned it along with the fob, and switched to locking/unlocking manually.

My question is, can I get hold of a replacement relay and fob that will work with the car, and are they individually programmed? If it's possible, how would I make it work?

I'm sure this is book one stuff but I've never worked with this side of things before. Any and all advice would be very gratefully received!

Many thanks
Phil
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AllHailKingVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 10th, 2021, 20:21   #2
Forrest
VOC Member

It should be possible to obtain a fob and relay paired to operate together. Someone scrapping a car with a working system should be able to provide these. Which fob/relay combination you need will depend on the year of the car and whether it was originally fitted with a Volvoguard 1 or 2 system. Volvoguard 1 was prior to about 1995 and can be distinguished by the triangular receiver and LED unit on the windscreen. The later system had a more discrete LED in the top of the dashboard.

How easy reinstating the system with these parts will depend on what was done to bypass the alarm when the original relay was removed and whether any other components are faulty or have been removed.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 10th, 2021, 23:29   #3
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I could be wrong on this Phil as i'm going on what little i remember of it as i've not had a Volvo alarm fitted to any of mine.
With that said, i believe yours being the 96MY, it will have the dash-top mounted LED (often built in to the A/C sunlight sensor in the grilles on top of the dash) and removing one or two fuses and the relay prevents the alarm from immobilising the car.

As such, if you can get hold of the correct relay and fob and find the fuses that are missing, it should be fairly easy - hopefully someone with more knowledge of the various alarms systems will be along shortly to give better info.

Failing that, an aftermarket remote central locking kit (about a tenner on fleabay/Amazon) or even an aftermarket alarm/immobiliser with remote central locking would do the job. That's what i have on my 760 (remote lock kit) and on my Rover (as the fob died - it just about works but is unreliable) i have an alarm/immobiliser with remote locking and boot release. The 760 came with the aftermarket kit and the key only operated the ignition, i fitted the Rover one and still have a couple of bits to tweak/finish but the instructions were fairly good so all went well.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2021, 10:27   #4
TonyS9
Premier Member

I'm in the same boat, the Volvo remote alarm system does not last as long as the car does so I would go for an aftermarket unit. They are fairly easy to fit if you know where the alarm connector is (behind the glove box), but you will have to join wires tothe new system and identify them. Mainly you are looking for power and the locking wire. The starter motor immobiliser will be bridged so this is also easy to identify too if you want to integrate it. Then difficulty depends on how many other sensors and systems you want to have.

If you are not that confident with the electrics it should not be too hard to find someone to fit it.

If you have 96MY you already have a seperate RFID immobiliser in the key.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post: