Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Decent clutter free dash cams?

Views : 1075

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 22nd, 2018, 00:51   #1
SteEnt

Default Decent clutter free dash cams?

Does anyone know of/have any recommendations for dash cams?

I'm someone that is a little fastidious about the appearance of my vehicle and the thing that has stopped me investing in a dashcam so far is, wires.

I can't stick them, so I was wondering of there are any available that have rechargeable batteries and no wires?
SteEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2018, 02:43   #2
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Why not just buy a hardwire kit? That way, there are no cables running to cigarette lighters etc and you can tuck the main wire in the gap between headliner and windscreen and run the rest behind the A pillar.

I bought some adhesive cable clips from Halfords (just used one) to hold the cable up just after it plugs into the dashcam.
Old Sep 22nd, 2018, 08:40   #3
inchindown
Futurist

You could try a GoPro camera or one of the other types of action cameras designed for motorbike use or outdoor sports. not sure how long the batteries last in these devices though.
inchindown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2018, 13:10   #4
Spike56
Master Member

I use the NextBase camera and the wire is run under the roof liner, down behind the pillar and under the door rubber until the fuse box. Then through and behind the glove box, along the centre trim and sits in the cup holder. When I use it I only have to put the camera in the magnetic cradle (automatically connects) and plug the cable into the power socket. Sight unseen. But as said Halfords will wire it in, out of sight for £30.00 directly to the fuse box, no plug.

If you trust the electrical system not to fight back!
Spike56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 13:05   #5
I-S
Premier Member

In most cars it is easy to hide the wires away.

The problem with a rechargeable type is that the one time that you forget to charge it and think "I'll be ok, is just one journey" you can guarantee will be the time that you need it.
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 16:32   #6
Baxlin
Old Rocker

As well as trailing wires, my pet hate is windscreen sucker mounts, so I have a small-screen Novatek camera in each of our cars, sited behind the interior mirror so the screen can’t be seen by the driver, and not annoyingly obvious to the passenger either!

The mounting plate is stuck to the screen with double sided pads, and the camera just clips in place. As others have said, it’s a ten minute job to route the cables, the route I use is between the screen and headlining, across the top of and behind the A pillar trim, behind the door seal, and down into the dashboard area to wherever the fuse box is. I use a piggy back fuse from an ignition controlled fuse to power a trailing ciggy socket, so I can utilise the camera’s own plug. I’ve not used this method on a car yet that doesn’t have room to 'lose' the socket and plug somewhere around the fuse box area, all out of sight.

It's therefore fit and forget, hopefully not touched until removed to put in the next car, as it records over when the card is full.

Last edited by Baxlin; Sep 23rd, 2018 at 16:37.
Baxlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 00:27   #7
Stevied1960

Thinkware F800 pro.
Just installed on mine around 15 minute's to hardwire in XC90.
Took another 20 mins to route rear camera, no screen so doesn't distract driver or passenger, can WiFi files to your phone and contacts you with email video files if you are hit while parked, well anywhere really as long as you have 3g on your phone.
Old Sep 27th, 2018, 11:26   #8
Julome

I just finished my Blackvue install yesterday. I'll do a separate post with installation steps and pics later today. You'll have to watch how you link up your power magic. I used the rear fuse compartment for trigger voltage and went direct to the main battery for constant. Got plenty of photos so I'll write up exactly what I've done.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________
It seems, in fact, as though the second half of a man`s life is made up of nothing, but the habits he has accumulated during the first half.
Best regards, Julome Diceus
Julome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2018, 18:24   #9
SteEnt

I just bought a cheap NextBase for £70 today and a hardwire kit and based off posts on this thread did it all myself, Halfords said they couldn't do it until Monday so I decided to be brave and try it myself.
I do impress myself at times as I managed it without any difficulty and piggybacked it from the wear wash wipe fuse under the glovebox and earthed it through a bolt and washer I found.
At first I was annoyed as everything I could find seemed to be made of plastic but the bolt went through the plastic to the chassis, so I stuck it in there.
SteEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteEnt For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 28th, 2018, 18:32   #10
green van man
Premier Member

I use next Base front and rear, hard wired with auto screen off after 30 seconds so no distraction when driving. Front tucks up behind rear view mirror and cannot be seen unless looked for while rear sits on a stuck on mounting pad so it peeps through the top of the rear wiper sweep on off side of rear window. It can be seen in rear view mirror but you have to look for it.

It can certainly be seen by tailgate RS as they soon back off.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post: