Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

5 cylinder D3 or D4 egr blanking plate query

Views : 1973

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 13th, 2018, 14:26   #1
Nogbad the Bad

Default 5 cylinder D3 or D4 egr blanking plate query

Hi

I'm thinking of buying a five cylinder D3 or D4 (either the S or V60) which I understand was pre 64 plate.

Can anyone advise on whether its possible to remove and blank off the EGR, and if so whether this is true for all model years, or only certain types (like Euro 4 and before).

Thanks for your help.

Nogbad
Nogbad the Bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2018, 18:00   #2
scoobysn7x
Premier Member

I'm pretty sure on these cars you can't just blank off the EGR, you would also have to have it written out of the software, you'll be lucky to find somewhere to do it as I think it's illegal now.

As long as you do enough miles and not lots of short journeys I doubt you will have an issue.

My V60 D4 is for sale, have a look in the sales section ;-)
scoobysn7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2018, 17:51   #3
Billggski

In old diesels blanking the egr was pretty standard and improved mpg and performance, modern ones are integrated into the whole induction system and actually improve it, as well as reducing noxious emissions.
Billggski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 12:47   #4
Yobbo
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billggski View Post
In old diesels blanking the egr was pretty standard and improved mpg and performance, modern ones are integrated into the whole induction system and actually improve it, as well as reducing noxious emissions.
I don't think I could ever a view a regurgitation of carbon heavy exhaust gasses as an "improvement".

With the 185/180 Euro IV D5 the EGR has an actuator which open the valve to allow the exhaust gases in. So really, you don't need to blank it - just have it mapped out of the software.
The gases will only get as far as the end of the cooler chamber, if you really wanted to blank it off you could do so at the exhuast manifold turbo/EGR pipe union where it joins to the cooler by a v-band clamp.
Within there is where you would put a gasket, but as I say it's pointless.
Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 11:04   #5
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Modifying and disabling the emissions control systems (designed to reduce dangerous emissions and thus save the planet for you and your children) is immoral and now also illegal in the UK (and many other countries)

It is an instant MOT failure when detected in the UK

Don't do it
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 17:07   #6
Billggski

Apart from just poisoning the air, blanking off the egr on a modern engine can actually make things worse.

http://www.advancedvehicleremapping....lanking-plate/
Billggski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2018, 13:24   #7
bobmccann
S60, D4 EUROVI, 120k

Worth checking the new MOT regs, I think you might have some problems if you do blank it off...
bobmccann is offline   Reply With Quote