Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

High level brake light

Views : 652

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 24th, 2018, 18:03   #1
Maudyxc70

Default High level brake light

Hi,this is my first Volvo ,and I must say I'm rather impressed.All but for one thing up to press, which is the high level brake light , it has ceased to function, I have no onboard warning light telling me I have lights out ?But I have had a towbar fitted with the electrics wired up on a modual, and they took the brake lights hot wired off the high level brake wire above head lining!!! I have seen someone post a thread on this forum and this is something that is done .
It has been working fine for the last few months even with the caravan on ,now no brake light ?????
Maudyxc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2018, 09:09   #2
MartinK

One on ebay right now here
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30678549-...EAAOSwttVaIpKP

Looks like the connector on the back is quite obvious. I would check the function of the brake light (i.e. wire direct to a power source) and work back from there...

Suprised the tow electrics are powered by this feed, mine wasn't - there's a connector block in the boot for that purpose..
Old Sep 25th, 2018, 10:15   #3
Maudyxc70

Would you say there's a relay in or near fuse box under glove box ,dedicated to the high level brake
Old Sep 25th, 2018, 10:32   #4
GrantA
Master Member

Hi Maudy,

I posted a Thread on the High Level Brake Light problem I had, it is here: https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...iler+electrics Your problem could be the wire that was linked (spliced) into the high level brake light may have cut the power to the brake light. The only way to check it is to take off the trim on the roof inside the boot and check the wiring - if you find a loose wire then that is your problem. There are videos on YouTube showing how to remove the panel here is one of them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfV3...em-uploademail

The purists on here will no doubt argue the fact that your trailer electrics are spliced (hard wired) into the electrical system when you should have a "plug-in" module but my argument is that my car came that way when I bought it and it was an easy fix after I received advice from "Towingelectrics.com" who supplied the relay module that was fitted to my car.

Good luck, Grant
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrantA For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 25th, 2018, 11:00   #5
volvocat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maudyxc70 View Post
Hi,this is my first Volvo ,and I must say I'm rather impressed.All but for one thing up to press, which is the high level brake light , it has ceased to function, I have no onboard warning light telling me I have lights out ?But I have had a towbar fitted with the electrics wired up on a modual, and they took the brake lights hot wired off the high level brake wire above head lining!!! I have seen someone post a thread on this forum and this is something that is done .
It has been working fine for the last few months even with the caravan on ,now no brake light ?????
As it's highly likely to be related to the towbar installation, surely they're the ones to fix it? - hopefully FOC...
I'd be taking it back to them pronto!
volvocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2018, 02:31   #6
apersson850
Premier Member

A towbar shouldn't be connected like that on these cars. There's a TRailer Module (TRM), which is a computer node like the other nodes in the car, that should be added to provide all signals to the towbar's socket. The constant +12 V feed is the only exception.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2018, 13:47   #7
MartinK

^^ agree - mine had a plug-in kit - no need to splice any wiring...
https://www.pfjones.co.uk/Wiring_ins...19260519RC.pdf
Old Sep 29th, 2018, 18:30   #8
Maudyxc70

Well , just to let those and others who replied and viewed, problem solved, I think !!! Checked fuses all ok , checked wiring for breaks all ok , then with a scratch of my head , I decided to disconnect the battery and see if things reset , Bingo !!!! Brake light now working , Totally baffled, just wandering if lights on trailer had trip something!
The Following User Says Thank You to Maudyxc70 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 29th, 2018, 19:52   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maudyxc70 View Post
Well , just to let those and others who replied and viewed, problem solved, I think !!! Checked fuses all ok , checked wiring for breaks all ok , then with a scratch of my head , I decided to disconnect the battery and see if things reset , Bingo !!!! Brake light now working , Totally baffled, just wandering if lights on trailer had trip something!
yes the electronic fuse no doubt .. too much current due to the bodged wiring ..